Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge Question

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge Question

I have a 13.0 cu ft four door Dometic fridge in the slideout, so there is no roof vent. In taking off the upper vent cover, I found a pc of fiberboard blocking all but the top 2.5" or so of the vent. See picture.

It had to have been installed by the factory. I would think that vent should be as open as possible for ventilation, not mostly blocked. What is the purpose of that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vent.jpg  

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    I have a 13.0 cu ft four door Dometic fridge in the slideout, so there is no roof vent. In taking off the upper vent cover, I found a pc of fiberboard blocking all but the top 2.5" or so of the vent. See picture.

It had to have been installed by the factory. I would think that vent should be as open as possible for ventilation, not mostly blocked. What is the purpose of that?
    It's so the air, being drawn in from the fans which are located about half way down, blows past the cooling fins at the top. If you remove the baffle, the air will exit the path if least resistance, the lowest part of the cover and not through the cooling fins, which make the fans ineffective.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    It's so the air, being drawn in from the fans which are located about half way down, blows past the cooling fins at the top. If you remove the baffle, the air will exit the path if least resistance, the lowest part of the cover and not through the cooling fins, which make the fans ineffective.

Ok, thanks. When boondocking and running on propane, the fans seem to run almost continually draining the batteries. I was thinking about putting in a couple of small computer type fans (that use little power) up at the top to help with the exhaust, but I doubt there is room there with that baffle. Would an additional fan at the bottom vent blowing in rather than sucking air out help?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. When boondocking and running on propane, the fans seem to run almost continually draining the batteries. I was thinking about putting in a couple of small computer type fans (that use little power) up at the top to help with the exhaust, but I doubt there is room there with that baffle. Would an additional fan at the bottom vent blowing in rather than sucking air out help?
    That's what most of us have done. Search the forum for Fridge Vent Fan With a Twist. Several of us have posted there.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what most of us have done. Search the forum for Fridge Vent Fan With a Twist. Several of us have posted there.

Thanks. I did see your post on page 15 of that thread (long thread) and it looks like you did put the two fans in the top vent in front of the baffle, screwing them into the top of the frame (could not tell if you also screwed the bottom of the fans to the baffle). No major mod to the cover, other than apparently cutting away a little of the interior so the cover would fit over the fans.

Has that been working OK?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I did see your post on page 15 of that thread (long thread) and it looks like you did put the two fans in the top vent in front of the baffle, screwing them into the top of the frame (could not tell if you also screwed the bottom of the fans to the baffle). No major mod to the cover, other than apparently cutting away a little of the interior so the cover would fit over the fans.

Has that been working OK?
    Yes, it's a long and informative thread.

It's been working great! The fans I chose have a thermostat that controls the speed. I have found that in temperatures above 80°, it was running all the time, so I just keep it on high.

Yes, it's is only screwed in to the top, no connection to the baffle.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a long and informative thread.

It's been working great! The fans I chose have a thermostat that controls the speed. I have found that in temperatures above 80°, it was running all the time, so I just keep it on high.

Yes, it's is only screwed in to the top, no connection to the baffle.

Thanks again! Your solution was a lot less "involved" than most of the other solutions, and I'm all for keeping it simple. Do you have a link for the fans and thermostat that you used, or were they something you purchased locally?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again! Your solution was a lot less "involved" than most of the other solutions, and I'm all for keeping it simple. Do you have a link for the fans and thermostat that you used, or were they something you purchased locally?
    TITAN 12V DC Double Rack Mount Ventilation Cooling fan for Fridge Vent and Ventilation Grille with Speed Controller 120mm https://a.co/d/35VACIY

There you go!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TITAN 12V DC Double Rack Mount Ventilation Cooling fan for Fridge Vent and Ventilation Grille with Speed Controller 120mm https://a.co/d/35VACIY

There you go!

Great. One final question.

Did you tap into the power to run the fans at the light switch (in my unit it is the light switch for the lights over the couch) that is on the left side of the fridge cabinet, and then mount the controller next to that?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. One final question.

Did you tap into the power to run the fans at the light switch (in my unit it is the light switch for the lights over the couch) that is on the left side of the fridge cabinet, and then mount the controller next to that?
    Here is my post on what I did: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...331#post359331

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast