User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory Battery Disconnect

Probably a dumb question, but here it is, which side of the 12v system (positive or negative) is the factory battery disconnect is wired to?

Not sure it would matter, but I’m asking as it relates to a Reflection fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Momentum is wired off the positive bus bar.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Same on my Reflection 320MKS. I have since deleted it and put in a true disconnect.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for the quick response.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Same on my Reflection 320MKS. I have since deleted it and put in a true disconnect.

I just did a big lithium/solar install and installed a true disconnect between the battery bank and the bus bar on the positive side. However, the guys at Battle Born told me I should think about adding a second disconnect on the negative side, as that’s where the parasitic draws will occur.

I paid no heed to the factory disconnect during the install and just left in in place. After my chat with Battle Born, I was thinking if the factory disconnect was on the negative side it might accomplish the task, but I guess that thought is out the window.

Any thoughts on the need for a second disconnect on the negative side of the system? I haven’t had it installed long enough to know if the parasitic draw is of any real concern or not.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdelcurto View Post
    I just did a big lithium/solar install and installed a true disconnect between the battery bank and the bus bar on the positive side. However, the guys at Battle Born told me I should think about adding a second disconnect on the negative side, as that’s where the parasitic draws will occur.

I paid no heed to the factory disconnect during the install and just left in in place. After my chat with Battle Born, I was thinking if the factory disconnect was on the negative side it might accomplish the task, but I guess that thought is out the window.

Any thoughts on the need for a second disconnect on the negative side of the system? I haven’t had it installed long enough to know if the parasitic draw is of any real concern or not.

Electrically speaking, as long as the disconnect is between the battery bank and the bus bar, it interrupts the circuit so there can be no parasitic drains.

Now, from a safety standpoint (and from a best practice point of view) you should usually do the disconnect on the negative side. This prevents a short to ground when working on the positive side, just in case the wrench, still connected to a positive terminal, hits the frame, or a ground.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked this question in another thread and got no answer. Could the factory disconnect switch be relocated and work as a true disconnect? I'm assuming most all current used is passed through it so it should be rated high enough.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I asked this question in another thread and got no answer. Could the factory disconnect switch be relocated and work as a true disconnect? I'm assuming most all current used is passed through it so it should be rated high enough.
    Yes, you can do that. Most of us buy the Blue Sea switches since they are easier to install.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Before doing unnecessary work, check to make sure your factory disconnect switch needs replacing. The one on our Momentum shuts off all power drains from the battery.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrically speaking, as long as the disconnect is between the battery bank and the bus bar, it interrupts the circuit so there can be no parasitic drains.

Now, from a safety standpoint (and from a best practice point of view) you should usually do the disconnect on the negative side. This prevents a short to ground when working on the positive side, just in case the wrench, still connected to a positive terminal, hits the frame, or a ground.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast