User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New owner and new to RVing with a 17MKE

Hello everyone! Picked up a new 17MKE last week and took it on it's maiden voyage for a 2 day shake down at a look park in Oregon! My wife and I love the little guy! First upgrade will be the Murphy bed's mattress! I have tried to search the forum for other members who have done this change out, but haven't found any detailed threads. If anyone can point me in that direction, it would be helpful!

Wondering if we can put a "non-hinged" unit there and if there is a limitation as to the weight of the new mattress. Have been looking Brooklyn Arctic Dreams and the Ghost bed but they are very heavy!! Would love to find posts of other owners with Murphy beds and their successes or failures with other mattresses.

Thank you, all. (Hope I am doing this right!)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t think weight for your new mattress will be an issue. Thickness might play a part. Your stock mattress is pretty thin, like thin cut bologna. We slept on ours for maybe 60-70 before having a custom mattress that was one inch thicker. It sleeps much better.

Welcome and good luck on your adventures.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Who did you got to have your new mattress made? How many inches thick?

Appreciate it,
    Ron

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the new coach. RV mattresses are notoriously bad. We've had good luck with toppers. Our last rig had a Murphy bed, we did a three-inch topper and a bamboo pillowtop, and were much more comfortable.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGP17MKE View Post
    Randy,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Who did you got to have your new mattress made? How many inches thick?

Appreciate it,
    Ron
    I’m sorry I missed your question. It is 7” thick and it was made by Houston Mattress Makers. They have a showroom and discuss foams and others ideas. They were very much against cooling gel foam. It does not have the longevity and will actually begin to compress and make the bed hotter. We have a 3 tiered foam that we paid $525 for a full queen size.

Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Randy. At this point I may try a topper as Stephen has suggested. I appreciated all suggestions and it's great to have this owner's forum for discussion!!

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 17 MKE with the stock mattress that is in two pieces. Is your new mattress one piece or did they put a hinge in it? How does it fit in the Murphy compartment?

Roger

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out my post with what I think is the perfect 17MKE murphybed mattress --

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post442642