User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't reach the knob to open your roof vent (MaxxAir Fan )--this is what i did

when i used the electric to open my Maxx-Air vent (vent only no fan) it closed automatically about 7 minutes after the electric (12 volts) was shut off . I shut electric (12volts ) to save battery power.

That left for no-venting in storage. Thru experimenting i found out that if you close the vent electrically, but then open it manually using the knob, It will stay open after the electric is shut off.

What i needed was a pole that would allow me to reach way up to to vent without climbing anything. Here is what i made. Parts from Lowes cost about $8.

see attached PDF's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fan vent photos.jpg   fan vent instructions.jpg  
    Last edited by ForBruce; 06-24-2022 at 06:14 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh neat! I'm glad you found a way to manually open your vent without it closing itself via electric!

With these instructions I could figure out a way for me to reach my manual knob without having to get a step stool out [emoji23] thanks for sharing!

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
    2018 Imagine 2250RK: Floorplan Pic
    Theater dinette instead of standard dinette.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    when i used the electric to open my Maxx-Air vent (vent only no fan) it closed automatically about 7 minutes after the electric (12 volts) was shut off . I shut electric (12volts ) to save battery power.

That left for no-venting in storage. Thru experimenting i found out that if you close the vent electrically, but then open it manually using the knob, It will stay open after the electric is shut off.

What i needed was a pole that would allow me to reach way up to to vent without climbing anything. Here is what i made. Parts from Lowes cost about $8.

see attached PDF's
    Nicely done, thanks for sharing.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great design. I just replaced the operator gear in my Maxxair fan. The exterior cover limits the upward travel of the vent lid when it opens using the electric motor. This put stress of the flimsy operator gear assembly.

Since I don't open the vent very frequently I feel the inconvenience of doing it manually is worth taking the stress off the gear, and not having to replace it again at $50 a pop. It's in the living room area so I need something about 3' long to reach it.

Only thing I might add to your design is to put something like plastic tubing or heat shrink material on the 3 machine screws to cushion them against the knob.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Great design. I just replaced the operator gear in my Maxxair fan. The exterior cover limits the upward travel of the vent lid when it opens using the electric motor. This put stress of the flimsy operator gear assembly.

Since I don't open the vent very frequently I feel the inconvenience of doing it manually is worth taking the stress off the gear, and not having to replace it again at $50 a pop. It's in the living room area so I need something about 3' long to reach it.

Only thing I might add to your design is to put something like plastic tubing or heat shrink material on the 3 machine screws to cushion them against the knob.
    i like that idea--and i have the plastic tubing & heat shrink
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like your idea --so i tried it ...thank you for the idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heat shrink.jpg  

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome. I've used the tubing several times on machine screws and all-thread for various purposes, and it makes for easy, cheap cushioning.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Put a hook on the other end to pull the fresh water tank dump valve to make it doubly useful.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who's turn ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails his turn 2.jpg