User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Back up systems

We are new to RVs. Our Solitude was prewired for the Furion back up system. We are towing with a RAM 3500 with tow package, so the rearview mirror is linked into to Mopar tow system. Does anyone have any experience integrating the two system? We would rather not have another monitor on the dash.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsasser View Post
    We are new to RVs. Our Solitude was prewired for the Furion back up system. We are towing with a RAM 3500 with tow package, so the rearview mirror is linked into to Mopar tow system. Does anyone have any experience integrating the two system? We would rather not have another monitor on the dash.
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. The backup camera that came with my Reflection is not very useful. It may be a good idea to test out the one that came with your Solitude before investing in integration. There are plenty of after-market systems that use your phone instead of another monitor.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First - here is a link where something like this has been discussed.

Since your Solitude is prewired for the Furion camera, that is what would would work on the back of your camper and it not able to integrate with the RAM system (nor the Ford system). So you would need the associated monitor.

I've found that it really isn't a "back up camera" as much as a rear view camera. Backing up while depending on an RV's rear camera would be pretty difficult IMO. Actually I have never used it until I am pretty much in place and need to see how far back I can go.

I've tried the Ford backup system with the dial-thing in the cab and camera monitors and, after many years of backing trailers, have found I still like the spotter with communications to me (we use cell phones integrated with the truck now) and my sideview mirrors.

So now I just put the rear view camera's monitor in place on my trucks rear view camera with rubber bands so it goes on and off easily. I do the same with mt TireMinder I-10 TPMS monitor. That gives me a very effective rear view camera in the same place one would normally look to see that view and I easily glance up to see tire pressures too.

on edit..... thought about this a bit..... if it integrates with an existing rear view mirror (which is pretty much useless when towing) then I suppose that is a good idea. But when I consider it for my truck it would mean giving up the main (only) screen in the truck and wouldn't serve well as a rear view camera. So I find the Furion camera to work well for me.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 06-25-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsasser View Post
    It sounds like we may have a similar system - Solitude with Ram 3500. The Furrion system will not integrate with the Ram monitor. I purchased the Furrion 7” monitor and am underwhelmed. In my opinion, it is not clear enough/useful for parking. To use it as a driving rear view mirror would require the RV taillights to be on as the Furrion cameras are powered from the RV’s clearance/tailight system. I am considering wiring the RV clearance lights to the Positive lead in the trailer light cable so I don’t need to have the truck’s clearance/taillights on to use the rear Furrion camera.

I am probably going to get the Ram trailer rear view mirror camera to integrate into the digital rear view mirror in the Ram. If your Ram has the digital rear view mirror option, you have a port on the rear bumper to the left of the license plate to plug the cable into. That brings us to the downside of the excellent RAM systems - they require cables. I’m not too concerned about the rear veiw mirror camera. It would be a cable down the back of the RV, along the bottom, threaded through the hitch, and into the RAM plug.

I did also order the RAM Trailer Surrond View camera system with the truck. That system, with 4 cameras, provides the excellent top down view of both truck and RV while in reverse (and selectable in forward) and would be fantastic for parking. However, that system would require a cable from the rear, both sides, and the front. I haven’t yet decided to install it. The system, sitting in the box in my basement, flashes bright red at me each time i look in that direction (kidding). I’m thinking I might look for a stick-on cable channel/cover that coordinates reasonably with the RV color to get the cables from the cameras to the bottom of the RV. I don’t really care about the back and would run the channel down the sides of the RV right next to the awning arm on one side and right next to the slide frame on the other. It shouldn’t be too noticeable that way.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the camera as a rear view mirror when the RV is attached and to see how much room I have left in some of the shorter sites we've been in. I installed the side cameras and find them useless.

Bulletpoint makes a decent mount for RAM. Rear camera on left, TireLinc on cell in center, Garmin on right for navigator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram mount.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	41435
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    It sounds like we may have a similar system - Solitude with Ram 3500. The Furrion system will not integrate with the Ram monitor. I purchased the Furrion 7” monitor and am underwhelmed. In my opinion, it is not clear enough/useful for parking. To use it as a driving rear view mirror would require the RV taillights to be on as the Furrion cameras are powered from the RV’s clearance/tailight system. I am considering wiring the RV clearance lights to the Positive lead in the trailer light cable so I don’t need to have the truck’s clearance/taillights on to use the rear Furrion camera.

I am probably going to get the Ram trailer rear view mirror camera to integrate into the digital rear view mirror in the Ram. If your Ram has the digital rear view mirror option, you have a port on the rear bumper to the left of the license plate to plug the cable into. That brings us to the downside of the excellent RAM systems - they require cables. I’m not too concerned about the rear veiw mirror camera. It would be a cable down the back of the RV, along the bottom, threaded through the hitch, and into the RAM plug.

I did also order the RAM Trailer Surrond View camera system with the truck. That system, with 4 cameras, provides the excellent top down view of both truck and RV while in reverse (and selectable in forward) and would be fantastic for parking. However, that system would require a cable from the rear, both sides, and the front. I haven’t yet decided to install it. The system, sitting in the box in my basement, flashes bright red at me each time i look in that direction (kidding). I’m thinking I might look for a stick-on cable channel/cover that coordinates reasonably with the RV color to get the cables from the cameras to the bottom of the RV. I don’t really care about the back and would run the channel down the sides of the RV right next to the awning arm on one side and right next to the slide frame on the other. It shouldn’t be too noticeable that way.

Thanks for your confirmation of my thought process on this. With the tow package and RV mirror camera systems already in place on the RAM, we think the Furion system would be expensive and unnecessary. Not to mention, we have friends with the Furion system that ended up ditching it for poor quality and installing a difference system. We will eventually get a rear view camera for the RV that we will hardwire, as you suggested

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the Furrion back up camera sine we bought our 2022 3100RD a year ago. I had a Garmin on the old trailer, which was superior to the Furrion. I am finally getting used to the Furrion but still don’t like it that much. In bright conditions, it doesn’t show shadowed areas clearly. It’s guide lines cannot be adjusted at all to mark the actual width of the rv or the tract of the rv on the ground. I have finally been able to use it to back up with the F150 Backup assist without my wife as a spotter, most of the time. I often wish I hadn’t left the Garmin with the old trailer!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that there is a company or companies that make a camera that will integrate with the onboard factory monitor. For the life of me, I can't remember the name if the company but I think the setup is for the Ram system. Has anyone heard or experienced this system?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jbsasser We prefer to use dash screen for music and android auto maps. Also, when you put truck in reverse it auto-switches to the tailgate camera so I had to keep toggling on the camera that fed into stock radio system. I chose to go wireless and found a very nice screen that mounts over the rear-view mirror. With the trailer hitched up, that mirror has no use so putting the screen there cleans up dash. YES the screen has a very small delay, but is well within my acceptance level.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    @jbsasser We prefer to use dash screen for music and android auto maps. Also, when you put truck in reverse it auto-switches to the tailgate camera so I had to keep toggling on the camera that fed into stock radio system. I chose to go wireless and found a very nice screen that mounts over the rear-view mirror. With the trailer hitched up, that mirror has no use so putting the screen there cleans up dash. YES the screen has a very small delay, but is well within my acceptance level.
    After looking at a BUNCH of cameras, and based on MANY YouTube reviews, tests and real world use, I've decided that when I get the camera, it will be the new Haloview Byte Tango 4 camera ststem. This sucker looks awesome for what it does, and it's almost half of the cost of Furrions best, which is not even close to the performance of this model, and it plugs and plays with the Furrion prep.

Attaching the monitor to the rear view mirror is a good idea. They do have an actual rear view mirror/monitor that acts as a monitor, and a functioning mirror when the monitor is not on. The only issue with that setup seems to be that you get great horizontal views, but not as good vertical, due to the mirror dimension, but I do like the concept.

It also has 1080p resolution instead of 720p, and records up to 128gig on a Sim card.

Sorry, I'm sounding like a salesman for this product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast