User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design theater seating upholstery failure

Hi Our Momentum is a 2017 and had very little use. This last winter, we lived in it in Florida and the vinyl material started to flake off. I called both Grand Design and was told it is out of warranty. I called Lippert and was told that the material used was ordered by Grand Design for their furniture. Neither company will help. I called Grand Design again after speaking with another person who has the same problem and I received a recording to leave my number and I would get a callback. I left my name and number and I still haven't received a callback as of yet and that was over a 1 month ago. Any help in finding a solution for my issue is greatly appreciated. I'll try and post pictures.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you're having to deal with this. There are quite a few threads on the forum dealing with this issue. Some have resorted to replacing the theater seating. Take a look here: https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Sorry you're having to deal with this. There are quite a few threads on the forum dealing with this issue. Some have resorted to replacing the theater seating. Take a look here: https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    X2 on this ^^ (the search function is your friend). The material is not vinyl, BTW - it is bonded leather. This is produced by grinding up leather and gluing it to a fabric backing. Over time, the adhesives give out, especially if exposed to sunlight or oils such as sunscreen, etc. Read the threads in the link above... some have replaced the seating altogether, some have opted for fitted covers, others just put a throw over everything. For comfort reasons (though we have one small rip at a seam in our theater seats), we have some Lambright double reclining love seats (look like theater seats) on order in UltraLeather to match the Ekornes Stressless recliners that are where the sleeper sofa used to be.

Finally, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cudakid

You joined the Thomas Paine peeling faux leather club.

Lippert offered us 25% off last year when we filed a claim on our 2017 Reflection. We elected to replace our love seat with a cloth seat from RecPro instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11F34F97-D1EF-477A-82F5-DCE0259E86C8.jpeg   F693036A-C590-4B20-AA0C-FA0D52B9E92E.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    @Cudakid

You joined the Thomas Paine peeling faux leather club.

Lippert offered us 25% off last year when we filed a claim on our 2017 Reflection. We elected to replace our love seat with a cloth seat from RecPro instead.
    That looks very nice, Jerry.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That looks very nice, Jerry.

Rob
    The sleeper couch hasn’t started to peel YET. it rarely gets sat on so the contaminants from skin oils etc haven’t affected it.

I intend to have it eventually reupholstered using the same cloth as on the RecPro Love seat to match. RecPro sells their cloth. I can’t find a sleeper in 70” width and the current sleeper looks like it would be easy to have recovered since the back pillows are removable rather then built in.

The RecPro furniture is modular. I added their center armrest recently. Here’s a current pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08C42115-DBDE-48EC-87A4-5B3E488BC77F.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used this to cover our peeling couch on our 27RL. It actually came out pretty good. We only covered the seating and arm area’s as they were the sections that peeled. I used a vacuum cleaner and a rag to rub off as much of that pleather as I could. Then cut the replacement material and pressed onto the couch. It held up very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on this ^^ (the search function is your friend). The material is not vinyl, BTW - it is bonded leather. This is produced by grinding up leather and gluing it to a fabric backing. Over time, the adhesives give out, especially if exposed to sunlight or oils such as sunscreen, etc. Read the threads in the link above... some have replaced the seating altogether, some have opted for fitted covers, others just put a throw over everything. For comfort reasons (though we have one small rip at a seam in our theater seats), we have some Lambright double reclining love seats (look like theater seats) on order in UltraLeather to match the Ekornes Stressless recliners that are where the sleeper sofa used to be.

Finally, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    Ultra leather sounds like another bonded leather product. They go by many cool sounding names.
    From what I have seen, you are lookning for "Full grain leather" or Top grain leather, if you want to avoid a repeat of leather failure.
    As nice as the dark upholstry looked and felt when we were RV shopping, we knew it would not last. So we went with the lighter colored fabric, which is not leather at all.... Being new for 2021 it has no track record. It may fail as well. Time will tell.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Ultra leather sounds like another bonded leather product. They go by many cool sounding names.
    From what I have seen, you are lookning for "Full grain leather" or Top grain leather, if you want to avoid a repeat of leather failure.
    As nice as the dark upholstry looked and felt when we were RV shopping, we knew it would not last. So we went with the lighter colored fabric, which is not leather at all.... Being new for 2021 it has no track record. It may fail as well. Time will tell.
    Ultraleather contains no leather - it's a polyurethane. It includes TENCEL Modal fibers in the 100% reinforced rayon backcloth.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultraleather contains no leather - it's a polyurethane. It includes TENCEL Modal fibers in the 100% reinforced rayon backcloth.

Rob
    Good.
    Hopefully what we picked will hold up. If it doesn't we will make a change. All of my previous RVs had cloth fabrics which held up well and breathed. We liked them. So that may be the direction we take if need be.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast