User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping Traditions

What do you do as a tradition each time you go out? When we camped with the kids years ago we had one night where I made campfire sundaes for them. You take a banana, split it in half, add marshmallows, chocolate, wrap in tinfoil, throw in hot coals and eat.

That was years ago and we just started back up. Seems like the only tradition we have now is sitting quietly. Of course we do that at home too.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son always figured out we were going camping when he saw Oreos in the grocery bag. Never bought them to keep in the house. Oreos meant we were going camping.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every year we used to go to the Eastern Sierra’s and on the first night my brother would always make his pasta sausage and meatballs.

He now owns a 40 acre ranch in Colorado, heading there in August, is will see if he will still be doing his pasta.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We make fajitas on our first night. On the day before we cut up a few chicken breasts, onions and bell peppers. They get thrown in heavy ziplock freezer bags with fajita seasonings to marinade in the cooler. We get set up, and pull out the Blackstone for a quick and easy meal that will give us leftovers for lunch the next day.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    My son always figured out we were going camping when he saw Oreos in the grocery bag. Never bought them to keep in the house. Oreos meant we were going camping.
    My son and I always take Oreos when we go on camping/fishing trips. Started when he was around 8 as a non-messy little treat after supper, but we still take them when we get to go.

Squirrels ate a hole in our dish tote to get them once. Three squirrels popped out of the tote when we pulled into the site after being out fishing. 4 years after it happened there were still tiny blue pieces of shredded plastic in the gravel at the site.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to caravan with 2 or 3 other couples each in motorhomes at the time. We liked to have a "chili feed" one night where each group made a small pot of their own chili and then it was all dumped into one big pot to cook over the fire. Then we had toppings like Fritos, chopped onions, sour cream, habanero sauce, etc., and everyone dished theirs up the way they liked it. Those were fun times, almost forgot about that!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hookup the trailer, unchock the tires, and pullout on the road. After that, everyone knows its time for camping!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    My son and I always take Oreos when we go on camping/fishing trips. Started when he was around 8 as a non-messy little treat after supper, but we still take them when we get to go.

Squirrels ate a hole in our dish tote to get them once. Three squirrels popped out of the tote when we pulled into the site after being out fishing. 4 years after it happened there were still tiny blue pieces of shredded plastic in the gravel at the site.
    OK... not camping, but an Oreo story. The first year or two after my late wife and I were married (early '70s), she always bought Oreos when she shopped. I ate them because I thought she liked them; she bought them because she thought I did. Turned out it wasn't either of our favorite cookie. Ever after, when clarifying something and making sure it was what we both wanted, one of us would end up saying, "I don't want this to turn out to be an Oreo." After I told this to Laura (wife 2.0), she started using the phrase in that context, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    OK... not camping, but an Oreo story. The first year or two after my late wife and I were married (early '70s), she always bought Oreos when she shopped. I ate them because I thought she liked them; she bought them because she thought I did. Turned out it wasn't either of our favorite cookie. Ever after, when clarifying something and making sure it was what we both wanted, one of us would end up saying, "I don't want this to turn out to be an Oreo." After I told this to Laura (wife 2.0), she started using the phrase in that context, too.

Rob
    That's a great story. I have one just like it, except it was about trying to have a baby after we were married a few years. We were just about to start trying when we suddenly realized we were each doing it for the other and neither of us wanted children. So glad we figured that one out in time! We still talk about that, and all the pressure that came from others expecting a married couple in their mid-20's should be starting a family. Everyone has since learned to accept that was their dream not ours.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    That's a great story. I have one just like it, except it was about trying to have a baby after we were married a few years. We were just about to start trying when we suddenly realized we were each doing it for the other and neither of us wanted children. So glad we figured that one out in time! We still talk about that, and all the pressure that came from others expecting a married couple in their mid-20's should be starting a family. Everyone has since learned to accept that was their dream not ours.
    ... and kids are a lot harder choice to change after the fact than cookies. (I also have a kids story - but it is much more complicated and goes much deeper than would be appropriate here.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast