Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda Generator Question

Good Day Folks!

I have a generator question. We own a 2020 GD Imagine 2670MK, which we bought new. It came with one main AC unit.We wanted to add the 2nd for the bedroom, but due to COVID and the parts situation at that time, we were unable to get the 2nd AC unit.

Roll the clock forward, now two years later, we had the 2nd AC added. Now for my question... We have never boon docked, and not sure we will. But, I purchased a Refurbed Champion Dual Fuel generator - which is out of warranty and has been on the shop for three months now - and I get nothing but a run around on when I can get it fixed and returned.

I am about to go ahead and pull the plug for a a new Honda Generator. I want to be able to run one AC unit and thats basically it. What model Honda generator do I want or need? It must be portable, something I can lift by myself, and also I can use it as a back up should power go off at the house (i.e. Hurricane season).

I dont want to spend a $GRAND to find out I should have gotten something a little bigger. I understand there are options such as doing a soft start mod, or even modifying the new gen for dual fuel - but not interested those options at this time.

Just wanted to see what some of you, that use a Honda are using for similar situations.

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Honda 2200i generator would be just barely enough to run one AC and you would likely need to put in a soft start system. And, while it might power a few things in a house during an outage, it won't power much.

A Honda 3500 would get the job done easily for the RV and could run a few other things (not both ACs dependably tho). And it could run a few more things in the house if necessary. But it's heavy and not likely a one person "portable" generator.

I would not consider a dual fuel generator - it just complicates things. I'll get some gruff about this as others like their's; but you have to decide. Honda doesn't make dual fuel generators; ya gotta' wonder why.

I carry 2 Honda 2000's. I've had them since the late 80's (maybe early 90's - too long to remember). They continue to run great and I carry them with me 'just in case' and have had to use them when dry camping a few nights waiting on a electric site a few times.

This might be a good thread to ask others what they think about their single Honda 2000 or 2200 to see how they get by.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the A/C unit specs or what is the breaker size for each?
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a iq3500W Generac and it will power my 13.5 AC easily. In fact the gen barely comes off idle when I click on the AC. It's also as quiet as a Honda and you can get them for under $1K if you shop around. Mine has elec start as well and it stays in the truck bed.
    For the amount of time I need a gen camping I couldn't see spending $1400 more on a Honda 3000W.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many variables, that a straight answer isn't easy.

You're also going to get a lot of different responses, so I'll share my personal experiences:

I had a Honda EU2000 for many years, across (3) different trailers. It was always able to run the AC on either of my two travel trailers. It wasn't quit able to handle the main AC on my current fifth wheel.

I bought a second generator 2 years ago, a Champion Duel Fuel, for summer trips when AC use was expected.
    The Champion was garbage. It was heavy, not very portable, noisy, and finicky about oil level when it came to starting. Sold it for a loss after returning home from the first trip.

I found a great deal on a Generac 3300, and after testing it, gave my EU2000 to my in-laws for their pop-up camper.
    Its just as quiet as the Honda, but its a little larger, a little heavier, and sometimes takes 2-3 pulls to start.
    It easily handles my main AC unit, as well as the lights and TV at the same time. If I need the microwave or coffee maker, I do need to turn off the AC first.
    The Generac 3300 can be found around $750-$850.

Honda's are pricey, but they are dependable, start on the first pull 99% of the time, quiet, fuel efficient, and will last you many years if you take care with regular maintenance. Honda's also have a better resale value than other generators.
    Honda now has the EU2200, which replaces the EU2000.
    The EU2200 is priced around $1,100-$1,200, and rarely found on sale for $999.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with a EU2200, so I can't say whether that would have ran my main AC on my current trailer.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have to consider how you are going to carry the generator. Above a 2200 they get heavy real fast.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the lower wattage gens like a Honda 2200 or Yamaha 2400 types will be wound out and much louder than a higher wattage gen. If you want to listen to a Honda 2200 revved to it's limit while running the AC then go for it. Me I don't like bother my neighbors any more than I have to. Or even myself for that matter. We dry camp a lot in nice quiet settings and I hate turning on the gen. I would hate it even more if my Honda 2200 was wound out the whole time.
    Hondas and Yamahas are great gens. I know I also have a Honda 2000W gen thats 13 years old and it still runs like new. Even so it just isn't the right tool for the job at times. It's great for charging the RV batteries or an occasional Hairdryer/micro running.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I am repetitive and different stable. We are very pleased with our Predator 3500 as we just did four boondocks at four different Harvest Host locations. It was our second maiden voyage with the Predator. First was a 70 hour run with no AC in Freeport TX. Gas consumption was minimal. These last four trips we used AC a lot and I could count on 14 hours on a full tank of gas (2.3 gal) with the Predator. It never failed and we are happy. I have a single AC pulling 11amps which is easy for the Predator 3500. It weighs about 100 and we store it in the bed of our truck.

Good luck.

Hondas are great machines. But I am a fan of this HF device.
    Randy and Kris

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocrity View Post
    There are so many variables, that a straight answer isn't easy.

You're also going to get a lot of different responses, so I'll share my personal experiences:

I had a Honda EU2000 for many years, across (3) different trailers. It was always able to run the AC on either of my two travel trailers. It wasn't quit able to handle the main AC on my current fifth wheel.

I bought a second generator 2 years ago, a Champion Duel Fuel, for summer trips when AC use was expected.
    The Champion was garbage. It was heavy, not very portable, noisy, and finicky about oil level when it came to starting. Sold it for a loss after returning home from the first trip.

I found a great deal on a Generac 3300, and after testing it, gave my EU2000 to my in-laws for their pop-up camper.
    Its just as quiet as the Honda, but its a little larger, a little heavier, and sometimes takes 2-3 pulls to start.
    It easily handles my main AC unit, as well as the lights and TV at the same time. If I need the microwave or coffee maker, I do need to turn off the AC first.
    The Generac 3300 can be found around $750-$850.

Honda's are pricey, but they are dependable, start on the first pull 99% of the time, quiet, fuel efficient, and will last you many years if you take care with regular maintenance. Honda's also have a better resale value than other generators.
    Honda now has the EU2200, which replaces the EU2000.
    The EU2200 is priced around $1,100-$1,200, and rarely found on sale for $999.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with a EU2200, so I can't say whether that would have ran my main AC on my current trailer.
    Mediocrity, I have been searching for "portable" inverters and was looking at getting two 2000, 2200, or 2500 with a parallel kit for ease of moving/transporting. The Generac GP3300i weighs in at around 60 lbs which would be doable and would save a few hundred dollars on buying 2 smaller inverters plus the parallel kit. Have you had any troubles with yours? So it runs your AC, TV and lights no issue? I have a 22mle with one AC unit. Looking to get off grid this fall for the first time....
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast