Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water Miser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Miser

Have a Furion on-demand water heater on the new trailer, I noticed more water usage getting the hot to the tap, when using with long intervals between usages. In my last trailer we would fill up the filter pitcher while waiting for hot, and then I even had a switched water pump between the hot and cold to circulate the hot to that fixture, like some home systems.

Saw the water miser on a video of a Winnie, and decided it was the best for my way of saving water. It was not an easy install, but included cutting open a wall behind the shower, (luckily in the rear of a closet). But it works as advertised, and very happy now. Blue tube really does change color, when hot, and even though you could easily build an identical system for less money, I could not find that temp color changing tube anywhere.

Hooked the return to the FW tank to Nautilus hose. Sharkbites really make it easy.

PS. The last pic is of the reason im trying to conserve water, and why I lost 1/3 of a tank of water on my first boondocking trip. The vent/overflow line is on the Side of the FW tank, and for some strange reason, they split the line into two 3/4" pipes straight down to the ground. So when traveling and cornering, I would see water splashing on the pavement.
    I did the sharkbite shutoff solution, but had to buy Two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5450.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	41500

Name:	IMG_5449.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	41501

Name:	IMG_5413.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	41502
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tckhan View Post
    Have a Furion on-demand water heater on the new trailer, I noticed more water usage getting the hot to the tap, when using with long intervals between usages. In my last trailer we would fill up the filter pitcher while waiting for hot, and then I even had a switched water pump between the hot and cold to circulate the hot to that fixture, like some home systems.

Saw the water miser on a video of a Winnie, and decided it was the best for my way of saving water. It was not an easy install, but included cutting open a wall behind the shower, (luckily in the rear of a closet). But it works as advertised, and very happy now. Blue tube really does change color, when hot, and even though you could easily build an identical system for less money, I could not find that temp color changing tube anywhere.

Hooked the return to the FW tank to Nautilus hose. Sharkbites really make it easy.

PS. The last pic is of the reason im trying to conserve water, and why I lost 1/3 of a tank of water on my first boondocking trip. The vent/overflow line is on the Side of the FW tank, and for some strange reason, they split the line into two 3/4" pipes straight down to the ground. So when traveling and cornering, I would see water splashing on the pavement.
    I did the sharkbite shutoff solution, but had to buy Two.

Name:	IMG_5450.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	41500

Name:	IMG_5449.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	41501

Name:	IMG_5413.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	41502
    Thanks for posting this @Tckhan. Our setup is almost identical to yours and I was also interested in the Water Miser to save water while dry camping. Could you say a bit more about gaining access to the back of the shower by cutting through the closet wall? Picture perhaps?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Pictures sure save on typing.
    The entire dresser and opening comes off with screws. The backwall of the dresser/closet is one section, so I split it by cutting across the top with a multi-tool(a modders best friend) Careful prying, and the staples came out with the board.
    The faucet was about 10" higher. But main point was to get a return line into the compartment below. Ive see the Water Miser oriented both vertical or horizontal. I selected Horizontal for easier viewing. The 1/2" pex return line, I shoved thru from below, along the water supply path. Hardest parts was shoving the pipe thru under the shower, and fabricating a longer PVC pipe thru the shower wall that looked decent.

Name:	IMG_5430.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	41503

Name:	IMG_5432.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	41504

Name:	IMG_5433.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	41505
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again @Tckhan, probably a winter project for me. The tankless water heaters work well but use a lot of water in the warm-up cycle. The Water Miser (Shower Miser) is a good solution to that issue. Since it's the bathroom grey tank that fills up faster for us, every drop we don't put in there extends the time before we need to dump. And of course, minimizing water use is kind to the FW tank as well.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S