User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shore Power Problems

I’m hoping someone can help!

We've lost our shore AC power. Pedestal and surge protector are working fine. With generator on, everything inside works fine. 12v system is working fine.

As soon as I attach the power cord to the rig and flip the switch, the surge protector cuts off. Similarly, I attached the power cord directly between the pedestal and rig (after confining power correct voltage from the pedestal) and nothing.

This seemed to happen out of the blue.

I’ve got the ATS box open, and everything looks good (nothing loose or fried.) Is there a way to test my power cord? What else should I try? Or do I need to try and find an electrician?

2021 Grand Design Momentum 399TH
    Southwire ATS and Surge Protector

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a surge protector with a generator can cause that. Has a little do to with an open ground. Try eliminating the surge protector and run the power cord directly from the generator to the inlet. I'll bet that will solve your issue.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fuses in the transfer switch? Main breaker at the inside panel tripped? I am guessing at a lot of your possible configurations.
    Randy and Kris

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Using a surge protector with a generator can cause that. Has a little do to with an open ground. Try eliminating the surge protector and run the power cord directly from the generator to the inlet. I'll bet that will solve your issue.
    The two were separate. The surge protector is connected to the campground pedestal. I tested the generator out of curiosity to see if it would power the rig and it does, so at least I know the ATS in working somewhat.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never used an ATS but here’s a link to some trouble shooting from Mike Sokol who is an expert on all things electrical.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rvelectrici...-switches-101/
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillhope7 View Post
    I’m hoping someone can help!

We've lost our shore AC power. Pedestal and surge protector are working fine. With generator on, everything inside works fine. 12v system is working fine.

As soon as I attach the power cord to the rig and flip the switch, the surge protector cuts off. Similarly, I attached the power cord directly between the pedestal and rig (after confining power correct voltage from the pedestal) and nothing.

This seemed to happen out of the blue.

I’ve got the ATS box open, and everything looks good (nothing loose or fried.) Is there a way to test my power cord? What else should I try? Or do I need to try and find an electrician?

2021 Grand Design Momentum 399TH
    Southwire ATS and Surge Protector
    I suppose the power cord can be removed from both the pedestal and the RV? If so then a simple continuity test can be done on the cord checking for both continuity on each wire as well as check for any shorts between the wires.

Alternatively, if you are good at testing electrics you can plug the cord in at the pedestal and measure for correct voltages at the RV end of the cord.

Hopefully I understood the problem and some of this helps.

If you can open the ATS box then maybe you can measure where shore power comes in.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I’ve never used an ATS but here’s a link to some trouble shooting from Mike Sokol who is an expert on all things electrical.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rvelectrici...-switches-101/
    Thanks for this! It’s really straightforward and helpful. It’ll be my next steps tomorrow.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I suppose the power cord can be removed from both the pedestal and the RV? If so then a simple continuity test can be done on the cord checking for both continuity on each wire as well as check for any shorts between the wires.

Alternatively, if you are good at testing electrics you can plug the cord in at the pedestal and measure for correct voltages at the RV end of the cord.

Hopefully I understood the problem and some of this helps.

If you can open the ATS box then maybe you can measure where shore power comes in.
    We got a new cord and it didn’t solve the problem so I think I’ve got to test the ATS connections tomorrow. Not that I’ll be able to fix them on my own most likely, but it least I’ll have more info on what needs to happen next. Thanks all.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem once and the ATS got stuck in the generator position. If you turn off all power and open the ATS, you can see where the wires connect inside. Near each side of wires there is a spring loaded contact, in my case, I had to manually push on one of them and it popped back in place. Never had an issue after that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH