Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaks & wheel bearing

I have a 397th I need to check the breaks & want to grease the wheel bearing can I use the leveling system to lift the wheels off the ground.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: It's not recommended by Grand Design, but lots of people do it. I intend to when the time comes.

These replies apply to the 6-point leveling, and are totally JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine last summer before our 5000+ mile trip out west. My comfort level was to manually raise one side of the trailer to take a bunch of the weight off....but still have the tires in contact with the pavement. Then, one tire/wheel at a time, I placed a floor jack under the axle that I was going to work on and jacked it up at the point where the springpack was attached to the axle. When finish with that wheel, move the jack to the next one and so on. I'm sure it took a lot more time doing it that way instead of removing all three wheels on that side at one time, but as I stated, that is what I was comfortable doing. I guess if a person has three heavy duty enough jack stands, you could just raise it up, place the stands and then lower the weight onto them and do all three on that side.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember to never put yourself in a position where something above you is supported only by hydraulics. Failure of hydraulics can be sudden and without warning.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I did mine last summer before our 5000+ mile trip out west. My comfort level was to manually raise one side of the trailer to take a bunch of the weight off....but still have the tires in contact with the pavement. Then, one tire/wheel at a time, I placed a floor jack under the axle that I was going to work on and jacked it up at the point where the springpack was attached to the axle. When finish with that wheel, move the jack to the next one and so on. I'm sure it took a lot more time doing it that way instead of removing all three wheels on that side at one time, but as I stated, that is what I was comfortable doing. I guess if a person has three heavy duty enough jack stands, you could just raise it up, place the stands and then lower the weight onto them and do all three on that side.
    +1 Did the same thing when adding Disc Brakes.
    U.S. Air Force Retired
    2021 Solitude S-Class 3550BH-R | SumoSprings Trailer Helper Spring | Morryde Rubber Pin Box | Disk Brakes (Stop Your Trailer)
    2020 F350 | SRW | SB | Platinum | 6.7 Diesel | 4x4 | PullRite SuperGlide Hitch 20K