User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snowbird locations

We've been wintering in Texas, but the RV park we stay at has sold. So we're thinking of other locations. We'll miss the beach and our friends but if we find a good place to land for the winter maybe some friends will come along. Does anyone know of places to winter in New Mexico?
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 06-28-2022 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Political content removed
    test

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spend about every other winter at Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces, NM. (I'm hesitant to broadcast this since we want to have space available when we want it.).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Do you stay there in January? Looks like it might be chilly then.
    test

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    Thank you. Do you stay there in January? Looks like it might be chilly then.
    We have wintered there at least three times (October to April or so) since going full-time. Cruces was originally my home town. It normally only gets into the upper 20s at night a few times during January/early February. This year, it got into the teens a few nights in February. It nearly always gets into the upper 40s, 50s, or even 60s during the day - very pleasant. You can search for climate data and get specifics.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces is a very nice park, at least it was 3 years ago. Plenty of things to do and places to see in the area. White Sands NP, Organ Mountains, golf at NM State University, hiking, etc. to name a few. We were there the last half of February and did wake up to snow one morning and a frozen water hose (outside) but nothing serious. Sun was out and it was warm before noon. There is an RV dealer right across the street from the RV Park who won't even talk to you if you haven't purchased your rig from them however there is a small RV dealer in Anthony, Texas about a half hour drive away who rolled out the red carpet for us when our furnace quit. One essential is Andala's Restaurante in Las Cruces for home made pecan pie with homemade cinnamon and pecan ice cream! Absolutely out of this world!
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2018 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4

"The simplest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my understanding of snowbird is different than most. What I think of is warmth. I can stay home and get below freezing weather.

Not sure my puny camper can handle the freezing weather. Sounds like lines would be blowing up.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I guess my understanding of snowbird is different than most. What I think of is warmth. I can stay home and get below freezing weather.

Not sure my puny camper can handle the freezing weather. Sounds like lines would be blowing up.
    If you use the furnace properly, internal water utilities are safe (except for the Furrion on-demand water heaters... they freeze). A heated external water hose solves that problem. It's all in how you prepare. What southern New Mexico doesn't have is feet of snow and days on end of temps in the single-digits or teens with gray skies. Everything is relative.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the furnace properly, internal water utilities are safe (except for the Furrion on-demand water heaters... they freeze). A heated external water hose solves that problem. It's all in how you prepare. What southern New Mexico doesn't have is feet of snow and days on end of temps in the single-digits or teens with gray skies. Everything is relative.

Rob
    If we ever get to the cold weather camping I will ask how you do it. I don't see how my puny TT can keep up with the cold without everything freezing.

But we are looking for our snowbird retreat. More than likely we will be full time and we spend Summers in X and Winters in Y. I am a fan of Arizona and Wyoming now I need to convince Wife. I just want any place I go to be "WOW" every time I walk outside. Never thought Wyoming would be my choice but when we landed "WOW" was what came out of my mouth.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have wintered there at least three times (October to April or so) since going full-time. Cruces was originally my home town. It normally only gets into the upper 20s at night a few times during January/early February. This year, it got into the teens a few nights in February. It nearly always gets into the upper 40s, 50s, or even 60s during the day - very pleasant. You can search for climate data and get specifics.

Rob
    The secret is out. I am in Canada, Montreal....and my favorite internet station is Kvlc 101 Gold. What a small world.

Cheers.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch