User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grand Design and Fifth Wheeling

Hello, we are Ryan, Shannon, Cody 26, Ben 23, and Mackenzie 20 from Kingsburg CA. (Save the jokes we are trying to get out of this mess.) We have been around camping, tents and motorhomes throughout our lives, but new to the fifth wheel category. Shannon is an RN and works for the Anthem company and I am a high school math / PE teacher. We knew at some time in the near future we wanted a truck and trailer, partly so if we had to we could hook up and leave if CA got to crazy.

During the Covid times I was teaching from home and had plenty of time to peruse trailer sales. We researched many different options for our first purchase, but settled on the Grand Design company before choosing a model or floorplan. We went with Grand Design after asking 2 people point blank questions. I asked our salesman, (with 12 years’ experience) and then the service department manager (with 23 years service) I asked them this question, " If you were to walk on to any lot or choose any company or model, which RV do you personally buy and why"? Without hesitation and with full confidence the answer was ANY GRAND DESIGN from both of them. That was good enough for us. We finally settled on the 31 MB Reflection because of the separate Middle Bunk room and the open views from the living area. The MB is perfect for our middle son (23), with down syndrome, who will always be with us. This way he has his own space, for his stuff, or it would always be in the living room.
    God has blessed us through the years with relatives who owned cabins or motorhomes or we just tented it, which was difficult to do with Ben who needs certain glamping amenities. This RV is a perfect fit for us.

We've been out 4 times on short weekend trips but look forward to some longer getaways. We joined the site because I was getting so much great advice and learning lots of tricks and upgrades from reading all of the posts, so why not join. Thanks for the great forum and we look forward to learning more and meeting up with other members.

My one piece of advice for new trailer owners is ... You Must Think Up! I have driven trucks and motorhomes for many years, but in my pickup truck I didn't think enough about the other 6 feet higher the trailer sits or that I'm supposed to listen to my wife when she says, "don't cut across that parking lot to turn around". I had plenty of room between those trees laterally, it was the limb that was just at the right height to peel open about 10 feet of the roof. So please Think Up - and have good insurance
    RCoats
    2019 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Larime Longhorn Cummins Diesel 4x4 HD Off Road Pkg
    2022 31 MB (Mid Bunk) Reflection

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha.... good sense of humor. Sorry about the roof. We find the biggest hazard is the low (lower than 14') 'stuff' (trees, entry portals, etc.).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, may you always have all the clearance you need.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S