User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes, good observation about the entire hub coming off. However the points discussed about keeping the lug nuts tight is very important. It's amazing how many wheels come off trailers due to lack of attention to the lug nuts!! Apparently someone performing maintenance on this guys wheel left a cotter pin out or did not lock the tab down against the nut.

Several years ago I went with my son to help him tow a used boat home he had bought. Before we left the dealership I insisted we pull each cap off each wheel to check for grease. On one of the wheels we found the cotter pin had not been installed. The salesman thought we were being overly cautious but when we showed him what we had discovered he was shocked and apologetic

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that a lot of the issues with brakes/wheels/hubs occur after a brake/wheel/hub maintenance instance.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue was not. I had done complete maintenance on my wheels in May. New seals, pack bearings, adjust brakes and overall inspection. I made two short trips of about 300 miles total, then a trip to Colorado where I drove lots of miles, then the trip I had mentioned above where the lugs sheared off and lost a wheel. Had I not tightened the lug nuts properly in May I would have lost that wheel much earlier, probably on the trip West. I had traveled some rough roads that year and I just believe the problem was caused by me not being vigilant and paying attention to lug tightness. They can work loose or break.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the misfortune of seeing a TT wheel come off headed the opposite direction, bounding across the divided highway and aim right for my windshield. I made it off the road but I figure the closing speed of my car and the wheel was well over 120mph. By shear luck on a Mass highway there was nobody to my right and it passed by me missing a car behind that swerved into the grass divider. The TT probably never knew it came off - just kept going while a couple of us were stopped trying to catch our breath.

On our recent excursion I checked the lugs every travel morning when cold (along with tire pressure). Sure enough a 2-4 would move a tiny bit before the torque wrench click, different ones each time. The frequency lessened on the way home but was never totally eliminated for the entire trip.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been many people tell me they have seen trailer tires rolling down the highway.
    It's common and the prevention is easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12