Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused by the Tech

Ok, not going to ask about providers but I will ask about Modems/Routers. I think this is how it works. I have a sim card in my phone. I pull that sim card out and plug it into ?????

Are the Peplink routers/modems? Are there other brands? Just asking because when I talk to people that sell those devices they just want to make the sale.

Don't want a hotspot device. Need a router.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, not going to ask about providers but I will ask about Modems/Routers. I think this is how it works. I have a sim card in my phone. I pull that sim card out and plug it into ?????

Are the Peplink routers/modems? Are there other brands? Just asking because when I talk to people that sell those devices they just want to make the sale.

There are many different flavors of cellular routers. Some are glorified hotspots, others are full fledged commercial routers.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, to expand on my previous comment.

All cellular data devices are modems. Most have router functionality.

You need a modem to access the cellular network, that is what the SIM card plugs in to.

The router is the device that routes your internet requests through the modem to the internet.

Working backward, in the commercial (and some techno-weenie setups (yes, that includes me)), you have a modem, or a connection to the internet via an ISP. Then you have a router that routes traffic requests to either the LAN (local) or the WAN (internet). I'm not going to get into the network layers, but a good understanding of the network layers can be beneficial when troubleshooting connection issues.

99% or the cellular data devices out there are a combination of a cellular modem and a router. BTW, not to confuse things more, a router can be wired or wireless or both.

Hotspots are cellular modems with a wireless router. It's very difficult to separate the two. There are some cellular modems that are just modems that will plug into your USB port on a computer (think the old school 2400 baud modems that connected to the serial port of the PC).

For cable ISPs, you can had a separate cable modem, then you have to plug it into the WAN connection of a wireless (or wired) router if you want more than one device accessing the internet at the same time.

This probably doesn't clear up any confusion for you, but I'm trying to answer your question.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    So, to expand on my previous comment.

All cellular data devices are modems. Most have router functionality.

You need a modem to access the cellular network, that is what the SIM card plugs in to.

The router is the device that routes your internet requests through the modem to the internet.

Working backward, in the commercial (and some techno-weenie setups (yes, that includes me)), you have a modem, or a connection to the internet via an ISP. Then you have a router that routes traffic requests to either the LAN (local) or the WAN (internet). I'm not going to get into the network layers, but a good understanding of the network layers can be beneficial when troubleshooting connection issues.

99% or the cellular data devices out there are a combination of a cellular modem and a router. BTW, not to confuse things more, a router can be wired or wireless or both.

Hotspots are cellular modems with a wireless router. It's very difficult to separate the two. There are some cellular modems that are just modems that will plug into your USB port on a computer (think the old school 2400 baud modems that connected to the serial port of the PC).

For cable ISPs, you can had a separate cable modem, then you have to plug it into the WAN connection of a wireless (or wired) router if you want more than one device accessing the internet at the same time.

This probably doesn't clear up any confusion for you, but I'm trying to answer your question.

I know, I am completely confused as to the tech. For example. I have a phone, T-Mobile. Link up to hotspot, no good. I have T-Mobile Home Internet. Link up. Good to go. So there is some difference between the two. If there is not that means I am just going to start buying things until it works.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I am completely confused as to the tech. For example. I have a phone, T-Mobile. Link up to hotspot, no good. I have T-Mobile Home Internet. Link up. Good to go. So there is some difference between the two. If there is not that means I am just going to start buying things until it works.
    yowzers...... this may go 'south' quickly.... trying to head that off.....

Maybe best, @docque, if you tell us what you want to so first. i.e. use your phone as a hot spot to connect your computer?; connect, somehow, to campground internet?; install wi-fi in your camper?.

I think if we know what you want to do folks can better steer you in the right direction. The idea of pulling your SIM card out of your phone to use somewhere else seems a bit odd. If you just want to use your phone as a hot-spot then maybe a call to T-Mobile or your phone's manufacturer is in order if it isn't working for you. It should be a simple thing to do (use a smartphone as a hot-spot).

Trying to compare phones to modems and routers (or switchs, or pepwaves, etc.) may not be the way to get the info you are after. Regardless of what is internal to a phone, or how it does what it does, I don't think it can be compared to much less considered a router or a modem per-se.

just sayin.......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    yowzers...... this may go 'south' quickly.... trying to head that off.....

Maybe best, @docque, if you tell us what you want to so first. i.e. use your phone as a hot spot to connect your computer?; connect, somehow, to campground internet?; install wi-fi in your camper?.

I think if we know what you want to do folks can better steer you in the right direction. The idea of pulling your SIM card out of your phone to use somewhere else seems a bit odd. If you just want to use your phone as a hot-spot then maybe a call to T-Mobile or your phone's manufacturer is in order if it isn't working for you. It should be a simple thing to do (use a smartphone as a hot-spot).

Trying to compare phones to modems and routers (or switchs, or pepwaves, etc.) may not be the way to get the info you are after. Regardless of what is internal to a phone, or how it does what it does, I don't think it can be compared to much less considered a router or a modem per-se.

just sayin.......
    I can put it simply then. I have T-Mobile home Internet. My Opinion is it is not a hotspot. It is a modem/router. I want that in the RV. I want a device that in my opinion a modem/router. What I am trying to understand is there are devices that you can pull the sim card out of your phone and plug it to them. In matter of fact I think that is how my T-Mobile home Internet works because it has a phone number.

Many of these sites that do these bundles tend to use the Peplink devices. Nomad uses these little routers as they call it.

I wanted to go the Nomad route because it is like a one and done thing but the more I read the more I didn't like. Same with Starlink. You are so low on the priority list that many of the people on the East side of the states complain a bunch about low speeds.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @docque If I recall from you other posts you had a very odd issue and seemed to come down to an odd certificate at work. I doubt if anyone can provide a solution to that, other then the work IT department. In general there are lots of options and one may work, but potentially a lot of trial and error.

I am not familiar with the T-mobile home system but it sounds like it is cellular, can you take it with you? Or buy a 2nd T-mobile home system for camping?

Some sim cards may be transferred from a phone to a router/hotspot, but may need plan changes. I have heard that Visible will cancel the line if you do that. No idea on other providers.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. It sounds like you want a Wi-Fi network in your RV. Lots of companies provide that. Pepwave is one of those. Winegard is another. Cradelpoint comes to mind too.

All, as far as I know, all require a SIM card and some sort of cellular plan. The cellular part of that can be considered your 'modem'. Those 'permanent' devices are basically just cellular modems with WiFi routers.

As far as taking the SIM card out of your phone and putting in a cellular modem/Wi-Fi router, that would render you phone useless. Not sure that's such a good option nor am I sure T-mobile would support your phone's SIM card in another device other than a phone.

You'll find lots of folks using a lot of complicated and technical set ups (including me). I'm a pretty technical nerd so I'm OK with that stuff; but I have chosen to use my phone as a hot spot 95% of the time and invested in a cellular antenna/repeater after years of trying different approaches (it's kind of the KISS principal). I only use it when the cell signal is weak, it works well as most campground's Wi-Fi is woefully inadequate. When I do find a campground with a robust network with plenty of bandwidth I have this arrangement (also very technical).

btw - that link is one of David Bott's, I find he is a good source of technical stuff.

and you might want to do a lot of viewing/reading on this YouTube channel...... Mobile Internet Resource Center There is A LOT of good advise there but sometimes it is overwhelming.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    OK. It sounds like you want a Wi-Fi network in your RV. Lots of companies provide that. Pepwave is one of those. Winegard is another. Cradelpoint comes to mind too.

All, as far as I know, all require a SIM card and some sort of cellular plan. The cellular part of that can be considered your 'modem'. Those 'permanent' devices are basically just cellular modems with WiFi routers.

As far as taking the SIM card out of your phone and putting in a cellular modem/Wi-Fi router, that would render you phone useless. Not sure that's such a good option nor am I sure T-mobile would support your phone's SIM card in another device other than a phone.

You'll find lots of folks using a lot of complicated and technical set ups (including me). I'm a pretty technical nerd so I'm OK with that stuff; but I have chosen to use my phone as a hot spot 95% of the time and invested in a cellular antenna/repeater after years of trying different approaches (it's kind of the KISS principal). I only use it when the cell signal is weak, it works well as most campground's Wi-Fi is woefully inadequate. When I do find a campground with a robust network with plenty of bandwidth I have this arrangement (also very technical).

btw - that link is one of David Bott's, I find he is a good source of technical stuff.

and you might want to do a lot of viewing/reading on this YouTube channel...... Mobile Internet Resource Center There is A LOT of good advise there but sometimes it is overwhelming.
    Thanks, I want to keep it simple too and wish I could use my phone as a hotspot. It worked well in the home. I just would bridge it to my main router. Very fast. Once COVID hit I started working from home. I am not going to go into that discussion again because it was beat to death.

I will look into those channels because for me right now it is just I need connectivity once a month or so. Full time is coming and when that happens I will be doing a different route.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    @docque If I recall from you other posts you had a very odd issue and seemed to come down to an odd certificate at work. I doubt if anyone can provide a solution to that, other then the work IT department. In general there are lots of options and one may work, but potentially a lot of trial and error.

I am not familiar with the T-mobile home system but it sounds like it is cellular, can you take it with you? Or buy a 2nd T-mobile home system for camping?

Some sim cards may be transferred from a phone to a router/hotspot, but may need plan changes. I have heard that Visible will cancel the line if you do that. No idea on other providers.
    If you read T-Mobile website you cannot take the Home Internet out in the World. BUT I did talk to the tech and he said chances are if I take it with me I will not notice any change in service. Worst case is I call them and say I moved. The issue is that the T-Mobile Internet MUST be connected to a 5G tower. It will not connect to a 4G. So, I am limited on where I can go hence the reason for a second device.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast