Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kingpin placement (again)

Hi all, I have just picked up my 2022 GMC 3500 Duramax diesel standard bed. I am pulling a 2015 369RL. Purchased the BW companion hitch.
    It gives me two Options on setup. First is 2” back of axle, 2nd option is 4” back of axle. Everything I’ve read is kingpin centered or in front of axle. I installed 4” back to improve the turning clearance.
    My thought process was…. Since I have a 3500 with the heavy duty suspension, the weight of the 5er will not adversely change the front tire weight ratio.
    Since it is just my opinion and my limited experience towing 5th wheels, I am throwing it out to you all to get your knowledge
    I got my big boy pants on so you can be blunt
    Thanks for sharing knowledge
    Alan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought proper pin placement was a few inches in front of the rear axel; that's to get the right front-to-back loading. I know B&W doesn't do that and LOTS of folks use their hitch. And even some folks with goosenecks put on a 4" offset ball to get more cab clearance. And all those folks seem 'sasified'..... I think Anderson cheats too and puts the load behind the axel. And those folks really like those things.

I'm of the opinion that right-is-right and think a slider is the best way to get the right balance with your pin forward of the axel; even if you have a bit more load capacity. It helps with the ride - loading the front a bit rather than lightening the front end. So I am squarely in the 'get a slider' category and put the weight in the proper place. Heck - if one has the extra weight capacity, just get and auto slider and be connected correctly.

Try this - weigh your truck without the RV hitch, then weigh it again hitched. I'll bet the front is lighter with the RV attached; even if only 50 lbs lighter. There is a reason trucks have their pin holes where they are. And there is a reason you see so many trucks nose high (and bouncing?).

I guess after that I better get my 'big boy' pants on too.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 06-29-2022 at 06:57 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a short bed? I have a long bed and prefer mine in front of the rear axle. Not sure why you only have 2 choices. The B&W hitch for my Ram shows 4 choices: 4" behind the axle, 2" behind the axle, over the axle, and 2" in front of the axle. Both of my B&W hitches have had the pin in front of the rear axle. Don't know why you think B&W doesn't do that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Do you have a short bed? I have a long bed and prefer mine in front of the rear axle. Not sure why you only have 2 choices. The B&W hitch for my Ram shows 4 choices: 4" behind the axle, 2" behind the axle, over the axle, and 2" in front of the axle. Both of my B&W hitches have had the pin in front of the rear axle. Don't know why you think B&W doesn't do that.
    Thanks for that info. I didn't know it could be adjusted that much. Everyone I meet or hear about is putting it behind the axel for more turning radius.

I'm guessing your question was directed to the OP? here is a moderator tip - sometimes it is helpful to quote the post you are responding to. (I know - you've been here a while and I think you know - but the moderator in my is trying to keep the 'house' in order). Thanks for you posts.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention I did get the slider version (albeit the manual one).
    Yes on the short bed 6’ 10”
    Not sure how I would weigh the truck to get front suspension numbers

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks for that info. I didn't know it could be adjusted that much. Everyone I meet or hear about is putting it behind the axel for more turning radius.

I'm guessing your question was directed to the OP? here is a moderator tip - sometimes it is helpful to quote the post you are responding to. (I know - you've been here a while and I think you know - but the moderator in my is trying to keep the 'house' in order). Thanks for you posts.
    Thanks for reminding me, I do try though. I did kind of mush the two posts together so I may have gotten a bit confusing. Sorry about that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S