User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an everything you've ever wanted to know about 6v vs 12v thread?

The 12v battery on the 2150 RB I'm getting is shot. I want to be able to boondock for 5-7 days at a time while using vent fans, mobile computing set up, lights, microwave maybe, and some other small appliances maybe.

I was planning on getting new batteries, going from 1 to 2 12v batteries and moving them to the passthrough.

I had written off the 6v battery idea as not worth it. However since I'm messing with the house power anyway I thought I'd revisit the topic but Im two steps forward and one step back with my understanding now after many hours of reading.
    1. I know that 12v "marine deep cycle batteries" aren't the same as "true deep cycle batteries". How do you find/identify 6v AGM "true deep cycle batteries"?
    2. Can the factory on board charger charge 2x 6v in series? How about 4x 6v in series parallel?
    3. If I'm moving them inboard I need to vent them even if they're AGM batteries, if I'm going to build a system for inboard batteries is there any reason not to just use a commercial tote and bolt it to the floor of the passthrough, and use commercial battery tie downs in the tote?
    4. Will the Furrion solar ready port still be functional for charging 6v batteries in series? I'm planning on using a renogy 200 watt brief case solar array for charging and supplement with generator when boondocking.

Info I have found is:
    https://rvdaily.com.au/build-a-batte...hydrogen-bomb/

https://www.batteriesinaflash.com/wi...eries-parallel

https://www.getawaycouple.com/12-vol...ich-is-better/
    2018 2150RB/2022 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV can give you a lot of info on this topic. Sounds like you're going to need a significant LiFePO4 battery bank and/or some hefty solar.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaostactics View Post
    The 12v battery on the 2150 RB I'm getting is shot. I want to be able to boondock for 5-7 days at a time while using vent fans, mobile computing set up, lights, microwave maybe, and some other small appliances maybe.

I was planning on getting new batteries, going from 1 to 2 12v batteries and moving them to the passthrough.

I had written off the 6v battery idea as not worth it. However since I'm messing with the house power anyway I thought I'd revisit the topic but Im two steps forward and one step back with my understanding now after many hours of reading.
    1. I know that 12v "marine deep cycle batteries" aren't the same as "true deep cycle batteries". How do you find/identify 6v AGM "true deep cycle batteries"?
    2. Can the factory on board charger charge 2x 6v in series? How about 4x 6v in series parallel?
    3. If I'm moving them inboard I need to vent them even if they're AGM batteries, if I'm going to build a system for inboard batteries is there any reason not to just use a commercial tote and bolt it to the floor of the passthrough, and use commercial battery tie downs in the tote?
    4. Will the Furrion solar ready port still be functional for charging 6v batteries in series? I'm planning on using a renogy 200 watt brief case solar array for charging and supplement with generator when boondocking.

Info I have found is:

I think the link about parallel battery connection is a little wrong. Someone posted good info here https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...480#post429480
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try here: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

There are two ways to compare batteries - either by the "RC" (Reserve Capacity) rating or by the Amp Hour rating. Different ways to measure "how long will they last". Not directly interchangeable, so use the same measure method when comparing. Both are valid ways. Many also push their "CCA" ability - this is how much burst power they can give for things like starting an engine. In general high CCA can mean low RC ability, so ignore the CCA rating and concentrate only on RC or Amp Hours. The RC (or Amp Hour) ratings can vary wildly between batteries, so let it be your primary guide. Those numbers are highest for "true deep cycle" batteries. The RC amount adds together if using multiple 12v batteries. It does not for pairs of 6v. So, two 12v rated at an RC of 100 each will give you 200 when used together in parallel. Two 6v rated at 200 each will still only give 200 when used in series to give 12v. In general, 2 6v can tend to be higher than 2 12v, but exceptions either way abound.

Note that lead acid batteries for longest life should not be used below 50% of their rated amount. One can, of course, but it begins to hurt the batteries.
    Hence why Lithiums are the rage - they can be used to near 100% of their capacity.

Yes your inverter can handle 2 6v. The issue is capacity - when greatly increasing the RC/Amp hours available, it will take the inverter longer to fully charge. I have 2 6v, and the stock inverter is fine - but I almost always am using shore power, and rarely go off grid for more than one night, so longer recharge times are not an issue for me. Like your gas tank, the fill hose is only so big, so if you increase the size of your tank, it will take the hose longer to fill. Same logic applies for solar - with more charging needed you need more solar to be able to fill them up before the sun goes down.

ALL lead acid batteries must have adequate venting to the outside. Even AGM's. In some situations they can still vent hydrogen. Only lithium's are safer to put in an enclosed area.

Check out the web site given - with the math noted there, you will quickly find that your dream of power usage will be harder/more expensive to attain than you assume here. It can of course be done, but at the compromise of something - less power usage, more battery, more charging, bigger generator more often, more $$$ or other variations to get to your goal.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info I have found is:

I would strongly recommend a Lithium (LiFePo4) battery(ies) for your stated needs to Boondock for 5 to 7 days.

Here are the reasons why:

It takes 8 hours (plus) to fully charge a Lead Acid battery, additionally, you can only discharge a Lead Acid battery to 50% (State of Charge [SOC]) without causing internal damage. Lithium batteries can accept a charge much faster and they reach 100% SOC without the need for a, long duration, absorption charge like Lead Acid batteries.

Lithium batteries are maintenance free and they can be mounted any where and in ant position because they are sealed and they do not give off harmful gasses.

Lithium batteries will out last any Lead Acid battery bank you might install. Additionally, pricing on Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries have dropped low enough that you are not paying much more than you would with a pair of 6v Lead Acid batteries. Here is a posting listing several low cost Lithium batteries...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...322#post341322

Here is another posting explaining a bit more about converting to Lithium batteries and how you can improve your Electrical system in phases...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post406356

One note: when you install a new Lithium battery(ies) it is generally recommended that you upgrade the OEM Converter to a "Lithium Ready" Converter that can fully charge your new Lithium battery bank, however, in your case, you already have Solar panels that you can use to fully charge your new Lithium battery(ies). Just know that your OEM Converter will only charge your Lithium batteries to around 60% SOC and you would need your Solar to top off the charge to get to 100%. Additionally, there is a chance that your OEM Converter is new enough that it has the capability to charge your New Lithium battery(ies) to 100%, to check this find out your exact Converter model number and look it up on the manufacturers website.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 07-01-2022 at 06:03 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info I have found is:

I wanted to answer your questions about Lead Acid batteries in a separate post from my above recommendation to skip Lead Acid and install Lithium batteries instead.

Most 12v, Deep Cycle, Lead Acid batteries have around 100 amp hours of energy storage in them. With the limitation of Lead Acid Batteries only being able to be discharged to 50% without internal damage that gives you 50 amp hours of usable energy from your 12v Deep Cycle battery.

If you choose to install a pair of 6v LA batteries (Golf Cart), they usually have around 225 Amp Hours of energy Storage, Consequently, you have a little over 100 amp hours of usable energy from a 6v battery bank versus 50 ah from a single 12v battery. Additionally, 6v batteries are more forgiving if you drop them below a 50% State of Charge because the Lead plates inside them are thicker.

With your stated use above I would venture a guess that you could Boondock for 5 to 7 days with a pair of 6v LA batteries (and your Solar panels), however I doubt you would be able to power your Microwave with such a small battery bank. I would recommend at least 4 6v LA batteries to give you enough energy to run your Microwave and the required Inverter.

Again, I recommend switching to Lithium batteries, with a pair of 100 amp hour Lithium batteries you would get 200 amp hours of usable energy along with faster charging times and no maintenance.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the advantages of Lithium batteries, I do not know why old school batteries are on the list of choices.

There are really expensive lithium batteries and really cheap ones. There are factory built ones and DIY versions. If money is holding you back, bank the money and wait till next year. Yeah, the way things are going, prices may be through the roof, just something to think about. I really believe a low price Lithium battery is better than any high price old school battery. I would not go with the cheapest. There is always something about an item that is way below the market. My brain always says there is something not right about that.

I ended up going the DIY route. I also elected to get a converter that could charge the batteries at the right voltage. I also purchased a larger converter, up from 55a to 100a. I did change the 12v cabling to batteries to accept a 100a charge. The factory 6ga is something that is a bit too small.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO of course, but if a $100 LA battery will do the trick, why would you spend 4 times as much just to have the "latest and greatest"? Lithium batteries are the best choice for many applications, but not all of them.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF that is the case, then you are right. But a 100ah LA is really only a 50ah and a 50ah Lifepo4 battery is $250ish. A AGM 100ah battery is about $200 and a LA is around $185.

Everyone's finances are different, but for less than $100 and getting a 'better' battery is a no brainer.

If we speculated on the future, then a lithium battery could be the last battery you buy. Yes, an acid battery could be too, depending on how long you expect to live.

Whatever decision you make, the choice is yours and never let someone take that power away from you. Do as you wish.
    Last edited by Butcher; 07-02-2022 at 10:40 AM.