Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 G/14PLY= $205 ea
    Westlake ST235/85R16 G/14PLY= $316 ea
    I think this answers your question. Cheaper.

Also, having recently handled both of them, the Sailun does feel a bit heavier than the Westlake. I looked for specs but couldn't find anything detailing the weight of both of them, but I suspect the Sailun has ~10lbs on the Westlakes. Weight in a tire is either more rubber or steel, both things I'm happy about rolling down the road!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    Why does everyone prefer the Sailuns over the Westlakes? They are both from China.

Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 G/14PLY= $205 ea
    Westlake ST235/85R16 G/14PLY= $316 ea
    They are both known quantities, but unfortunately the Sailun is known as fantastic, and the Westlakes are known as poor to not so good. I've had both, and would never buy a Westlake at any price. When looking at the Sailun, the tread is flat when the tire is at max pressure, but the Westlake looks like a balloon, the tread is rounded like there's nothing keeping it flat except the weight of the trailer. To me that doesn't inspire confidence.

Do you prefer T-bone or beef tongue? They're both from the cow.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 07-05-2022 at 08:39 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    They are both known quantities, but unfortunately the Sailun is known as fantastic, and the Westlakes are known as poor to not so good. I've had both, and would never buy a Westlake at any price. When looking at the Sailun, the tread is flat when the tire is at max pressure, but the Westlake looks like a balloon, the tread is rounded like there's nothing keeping it flat except the weight of the trailer. To me that doesn't inspire confidence.

To be fair, the Westlake G rated tires seem to be doing pretty well. Mine we entirely problem free in 3 years and ~20,000 miles. There are other Westlakes though that are pretty awful and have tarnished their brand badly. That said, I do believe the Sailun are a better tire and are cheaper as well, making it a very popular option for those with heavy trailers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are both known quantities, but unfortunately the Sailun is known as fantastic, and the Westlakes are known as poor to not so good.

I prefer pickled beef tongue myself. As for the Westlake\Sailun\Endurance debate... I still have my Westlakes, and they are in great shape. I did pick up a nail last year (slow leak that didn't show on the TPMS till the next day at home) and replaced that tire with my spare. The one with the hole is plug\patched and is now the spare. When I do replace them all it will be with the best value/quality at that time. I absolutely believe that taking care of the tires, whatever the brand, is the most important thing, proper air pressure is number one for taking care of them. Visual check is number two. A twisted belt on the inside of the tire can be hard to spot right up till it blows.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the OEM Westlakes on our 351M, but, to me, they don't inspire confidence compared to the Sailun. My Sailun tires were over 6 years old when I sold the trailer. The Westlakes are 4, but I really don't like that balloon configuration, it looks like it would contribute to flex as the tire flattens out as it rolls. But that's just me.

As for that pickled beef tongue...
    Howard and Peggy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the OEM Westlakes on our 351M, but, to me, they don't inspire confidence compared to the Sailun. My Sailun tires were over 6 years old when I sold the trailer. The Westlakes are 4, but I really don't like that balloon configuration, it looks like it would contribute to flex as the tire flattens out as it rolls. But that's just me.

As for that pickled beef tongue...
    What kind of shape were they in after six years? Do you think they lasted a while after that?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I prefer pickled beef tongue myself. As for the Westlake\Sailun\Endurance debate... I still have my Westlakes, and they are in great shape. I did pick up a nail last year (slow leak that didn't show on the TPMS till the next day at home) and replaced that tire with my spare. The one with the hole is plug\patched and is now the spare. When I do replace them all it will be with the best value/quality at that time. I absolutely believe that taking care of the tires, whatever the brand, is the most important thing, proper air pressure is number one for taking care of them. Visual check is number two. A twisted belt on the inside of the tire can be hard to spot right up till it blows.
    This is the truth
    Everyone blames the tire and all the blame falls back on the operator
    The one and only reason Westlakes are “known” is because they likely outsell all the others combined
    If Sailun had as many tires on the road as westlakes they would be “known” as well
    These tire debates are so nauseating
    Imo use what you want and feel good about and leave it at that
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This is the truth
    Everyone blames the tire and all the blame falls back on the operator
    The one and only reason Westlakes are “known” is because they likely outsell all the others combined
    If Sailun had as many tires on the road as westlakes they would be “known” as well
    These tire debates are so nauseating
    Imo use what you want and feel good about and leave it at that
    Sorry, but you're wrong. I've known lots of times people have said they checked the pressure in the morning, and had a blowout a few miles down the road. Mine were checked every morning and still had two blowouts on the same day. It is not "user error" in many instances. Sorry you find the discussion of tires discomfiting, but easy to just scroll right on by and ignore them. It works great.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but you're wrong. I've known lots of times people have said they checked the pressure in the morning, and had a blowout a few miles down the road. Mine were checked every morning and still had two blowouts on the same day. It is not "user error" in many instances. Sorry you find the discussion of tires discomfiting, but easy to just scroll right on by and ignore them. It works great.
    And no one knows how many times that tire hit something as well
    Have a great day
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    And no one knows how many times that tire hit something as well
    Have a great day
    I think the point is that you can do everything correctly and tires can still fail from road hazards, or from manufacturers defects or any number of things. My point is you must do your due diligence to insure everything is kosher prior to hitting the road. Hitting something in the road does happen and you are not going to see these things (small things) at speed. The rest is mostly in your control, but all manufactures do have failures due to their own issues...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast