User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I had similar thoughts.....

We purchased our 2020 2670MK in May 2020 and have put just under 10K on the tires. I check pressure before each trip and look at tire wear. We took an extended trip in June with stops a couple stops on NE, SD and ND. Wanted to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park near Medora, ND. Thoroughly enjoyed TRNP and surrounding area!

We left Hot Springs, SD that morning and we're just South of North Platte, NE when the front passenger tire blew. Our 'Angel' a farmer, who heard the blowout from his living room was pulling up as I was calling roadside assistance. He had everything we needed and we were able to get the spare on. It needed a little air but I used the portable compressor we carry. This blowout took out the lines to brake lights, and the kitchen slide. I knew we lost brake lights, but trailer brakes worked, but did not realize we lost slide until stopping at Medicine Creek, SRA, NE for the night.

Next morning I found a trailer/brake shop in McCook, NE who could take a look at brake lights and stopped in. They spent some time digging under the trailer, however couldn't figure out how to wire them back up. We then stopped in at truck tire shop and bought a new tire and had the shop install. Had them verify torque/pressure on each tire and headed home.

We were less than 10 miles South when the rear passenger tire blew and did further damage to the underside of the travel trailer.

As soon as I get the trailer back from repair shop I'll be replacing all 4 tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20220710_122959668.jpg   PXL_20220630_220313132.jpg  

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCRICHRI View Post
    I have the same concerns. I have a 2019 solitude with G rated west lakes. This is my 4th season on them. I’m not sure if I should replace as a preventative measure this year or hold off for 1 more. From what I’ve read G rated westlakes are better? My other problems is I can’t find anyone to come out and change them and RV dealerships are so backed up.
    We are in the same boat with our 2019 Solitude. The tires are date coded 2018 and we have 13,294 miles on them. They are G rated Westlakes and still look fine and they are a better tire. The E's are the ones with the bad rap. I'll run our G's another year but keep an eye on them for weather cracks. When I change them I'll have to take the trailer to a tire shop as we are full time. It's kind of a hassle but it is what it is... it's all part of fulltiming.....
    Don't know what I'll put on, I guess it will depend on what's available at that time. Either GY G114, Salins or I would even use another set of Westlake G's. I have read somewhere the new Solitudes are coming with H's?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For those complaining about blowouts on Westlakes, can you PLEASE state if they were the E or G rated tires? Also, how was the camper stored year round? I can see some of these tires are clearly E rated, not the G rated tires. As others have stated, the E rated tires have a poor reputation.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake tire issues

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    For those complaining about blowouts on Westlakes, can you PLEASE state if they were the E or G rated tires? Also, how was the camper stored year round? I can see some of these tires are clearly E rated, not the G rated tires. As others have stated, the E rated tires have a poor reputation.
    The tire that I had the problem with was the Westlake OEM tire that came with the camper. 10ply E rated about 4.5 years old but stored under shed although we've stayed in the camper for over 400 days since Nov 2017.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonflynet View Post
    The tire that I had the problem with was the Westlake OEM tire that came with the camper. 10ply E rated about 4.5 years old but stored under shed although we've stayed in the camper for over 400 days since Nov 2017.
    Wow, that is amazing for someone that isn't full time. I am jealous.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of post on this particular thread that don't answer the OP's original question....... life expectancy...... also most of the people posting are 5-er's with higher load rating tires. This is what I noticed after 2 years on 2 of our tires.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220910_142658.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	43040

I chose to error on the side of caution and replaced all 5 tires. Read on another forum about warranty claims..... well in order to submit, you need documentation and pictures of DOT numbers, brand, size, and damage/wear for EACH tire. Didn't think about that at the time. The picture I took was to get the tire size when looking for a discount tire store while traveling. Lesson learned I guess. Am I wrong for expecting these westlate OEM tires to last longer???
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had G rated Westlakes and went 4 seasons/16k miles with zero issues.

My RV is stored outside and I am less than diligent about using tire covers. I replaced mine after seeing clear signs of dry rot (cracking) on the side walls. I replaced with the G rated Sailuns, now two seasons in (7.5K miles) and no issues. I will say, the look and feel of the Sailun is beefier.

Back to the OP's question, if visual inspection shows no issues, I would go 6 years (based on date code stamp) on the G rated Westlakes and not be concerned. I have not read anything indicating systemic failures on the G rated Westlakes.

All that said; good article on tire aging: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2019/08...t-too-old.html
    Last edited by Keebler; 09-15-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345