User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tire life expectancy

I read that it's ideal to change trailer tires every 4 years. This year will be our 4th season on the G rated OEM Westlakes. 2019 Date codes. Approx 6K miles on them. The camper stays indoors/heated year round, except when camping. There is no cracking on the tires and the wear looks very good/minimal. I was going to pull the wheels and grease the bearings next week and put he TPS in the wheels as long as they were off. Got me to thinking how much longer I should run on these tires? What's everyone's thoughts on this? I usually error on the side of caution, but in this case I feel maybe I can extend the replacement due to the storage conditions. I realize most campers are exposed to the elements year round which significantly shortens the lifespan of tires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	41528

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	41529

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	41530
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    I usually error on the side of caution...
    These are always tough decisions. If a tire is bad then it makes it simpler to decide. The photos of your tires look good and being stored out of the sun is beneficial. I purposely quoted what you said about caution since that’s how I tend to do things.

If you haven’t already done so, maybe start searching which tires you’d replace them with. I think there have been some shortages. That would at least give you a head start on the process.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    These are always tough decisions. If a tire is bad then it makes it simpler to decide. The photos of your tires look good and being stored out of the sun is beneficial. I purposely quoted what you said about caution since that’s how I tend to do things.

If you haven’t already done so, maybe start searching which tires you’d replace them with. I think there have been some shortages. That would at least give you a head start on the process.
    I started to poke around and look. Westlake makes a slightly taller version that increases load capacity. $320 EA which is reasonable. If I am going to go to a tireshop to put TPS in, I might as well replace the tires as long as I am there... Saves a trip in a year to do it again. However, replacing tires that are in good shape and dropping $1000 to do so doesn't make very good financial sense.

I do keep 2 x trailer spares in the camper.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a tough call with these Westlake. I also have 4 year old Westlakes that look good. But I'm leaning toward replacing them with Sailun tires fairly soon. The last Sailun tires I ran were over 6 years old, and still looked great when I sold the trailer. I may wait and change them next year, but I'll do it for sure then.

Curious why you feel the need for extra weight capacity. You're only carrying about 3500 lbs. per tire.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 06-30-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would run them the rest of the season then change during the off season. If you are planning on doing maintenance and adding the TPS sensors at this time then I would change them out now, and minimize the effort by not removing the wheels a second time in the near future. I know people who only change tires when they become damaged/cracked/blowout. That's too inconvenient for me as I like to do any and all maintenance in the off season.

Also think of it as one blowout will most likely create more damage, cost and time wasted than you will save by running the tires another year or two will save.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yeah, a tough call with these Westlake. I also have 4 year old Westlakes that look good. But I'm leaning toward replacing them with Sailun tires fairly soon. The last Sailun tires I ran were over 6 years old, and still looked great when I sold the trailer. I may wait and change them next year, but I'll do it for sure then.

Curious why you feel the need for extra weight capacity. You're only carrying about 3500 lbs. per tire.
    I scale right around 14K lbs on the axles now with the cycle. I haven't weighed with the ATVs yet, but I calculate approx 14,500 on the axles. I DO plan to upgrade the axles to 8K lb units (once I figure out what to buy) which will net 16K capacity.

235/80- 4,080 lb ea= 16,320
    235/85- 4,400 lb ea=17,600

The new 320G models come with 17.5 H rated tires standard.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that 8,000 lb. axles would be a big plus, and should be standard from the factory.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    I would run them the rest of the season then change during the off season. If you are planning on doing maintenance and adding the TPS sensors at this time then I would change them out now, and minimize the effort by not removing the wheels a second time in the near future. I know people who only change tires when they become damaged/cracked/blowout. That's too inconvenient for me as I like to do any and all maintenance in the off season.

Also think of it as one blowout will most likely create more damage, cost and time wasted than you will save by running the tires another year or two will save.
    I've only had one flat on a trailer. My last TT. The TPMS caught the loss of air before the tire came apart. I would never tow a trailer without some type of TPMS. I ordered my Ram with the trailer TPMS and have had the sensors sitting for a year now. My battery system was acting up last trip out so I figured I might as well upgrade to the OEM system sooner than later.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had a blowout on one of our Westlakes that did a significant amount of damage. We are at the tail end of a trip that started last November. Our tires had maybe 20,000 miles on them. Four years old, tire covers when stored and good tread remaining.(I rotate my tires) I questioned myself as to the need to replace them because of age! The mileage was about 40,000 at termination and I think we either picked something up at a rest area 15 to 20 miles before or on the highway. Any way the tire shop replaced all four with Sailuns and asked if I wanted to keep the remaining three! In my experience and my opinion. Tires should last if they are cared for properly. And some things can't be avoided.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220630_095718.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	41566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220630_095602.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	41568
    Last edited by klobear; 07-02-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    2018 344GK. 2018 Chevy 3500 dually.
    Live every moment, because every day is a good day when the sun comes up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

Just replaced our 4 year old 16" Westlakes prior to a 30 day, 4,00k mile, 10 state trip. They looked perfectly fine but did not want to take a chance. I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance and went to 85s instead of 80s. New tires handled well on the trip (just got back 2 days ago.)
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast