User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert Turning Point Pinbox

Does anybody LOVE the Turning Point pinbox on their Reflection?
    What % use it versus going with a “slider” do you suppose?
    I am really struggling with what direction I should go with my 6 3/4’ Ford truck bed
    Thanks for thoughts and opinions

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used the turning point for around 10,000 miles. I didn't want the weight of a slider hitch. I would recommend that you use a hitch that has a wedge specific for that hitch. The generic Lippert wedge didn't work as well as I would like with our PullRite hitch. I bought a Curt hitch with a wedge designed for that hitch and was much happier.
    2019 Reflection 150 - 295RL
    2018 F-150 Heavy Duty Payload
    Max Trailer Tow

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
    Does anybody LOVE the Turning Point pinbox on their Reflection?
    What % use it versus going with a “slider” do you suppose?
    I am really struggling with what direction I should go with my 6 3/4’ Ford truck bed
    Thanks for thoughts and opinions
    Yes, we're using the supplied pinbox on our Reflection in the locked position. We have the Anderson hitch. So far the combination has worked well for us. I don't really have any basis for comparison since our last rig was a TT. I can say that the 5er tows much more smoothly.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Towing, Hitching & Maneuvering.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've towed 5th wheel for a couple of decades... Was very reluctant to try it out... as stated before the wedge must match the hitch.... Glad I tried it out... can't tell the difference when towing... JUST DO IT!
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to love the turning point and used it for over 20,000 miles but I just experienced a bad high speed wobble. I think it was triggered by a combination of things. Going too fast to get around a semi on the interstate, followed by a downhill and changing lanes. Tires on the back of the truck and the trailer were closer to 70 psi instead of my normal 80 psi. Several tanks around half full so lots of slosh potential. Tires on the truck are over stock size but truck is not lifted. And there was a gust of wind. We went back and forth violently twice and I grabbed the trailer brakes hard. When we stopped we had drawers open and things that never moved tossed about.

So in the next major town I bought a 15/16 socket (since I did not bring that one with me). Removed the wedge and locked the turning point. Also aired up the tires. Then I started slowly backing up with the truck steering at full lock with the wife watching. On level ground i took it to about 80 degrees and the nose cleared the back window by about 2 inches. I realize that if the truck is uphill from the truck I probably can't turn this tight. But I don't like turning that tight anyway with the stress on the suspension.

Next day I wound up towing up to 70 mph in gusty winds on a two lane Wyoming road attempting to stay ahead of a thunderstorm. The rig felt rock solid compared to previous days. I think I probably had too much play in my wedge and could have adjusted it tighter, but for right now the turning point is staying locked. I really don't think I need it with the 6 3/4 ft Ford bed.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a B+W slider , thinking I would rather have the ability to slide back in addition to the use of the Turning Point hitch. Glad i did get that slider, since i made the mistake of installing the B+W Goose neck ball mount in the bed, instead of a oem Puck system.
    You cannot use the Turning Point on a Gooseneck mount B+W hitch. Long story short. My trailer does not even come close to the cab on flat ground when turning in the centered position. So I only slide it back when hitching up. But not during travel and backing. The B+W slider was another ~150 lbs more, but well within my load capacity.
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use ours (295RL) on a F150 SCREW SB 6.2ltr with a Reese 16K hitch for the last 4+ yrs since new. Works great! Found that most towing issues resulted from TV setup (i.e. front/rear leveling, tire pressure, non-LT tire usage, rearend sway control, and trailer cargo loading).

Biggest draw back IMO to using the Turning Point is no grease zerk for spindle lubrication, making it a PITA to maintenence.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First post, and it's for this specific issue. Been towing my 2021 Reflection 295RL with the Turning point for a year and a half, and all of the sudden, experienced the slip with the wedge. After 15,000 and no problems, I had no idea what was going on! It's our first 5er. Lippert sent a mobile tech, and he replaced the pin box, still the same problem. Locked the pin box and towed, and Lippert had me bring it to the factory. They just replaced the pin box again!! Still have the same problem with the wedge slipping. I was going to ask for suggestions for either solutions or different hitches. I have a Curt 16,000lb hitch in the bed.
    Dennis and Shawna
    2021 Reflection 295RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelin Around w Shawna View Post
    First post, and it's for this specific issue. Been towing my 2021 Reflection 295RL with the Turning point for a year and a half, and all of the sudden, experienced the slip with the wedge. After 15,000 and no problems, I had no idea what was going on! It's our first 5er. Lippert sent a mobile tech, and he replaced the pin box, still the same problem. Locked the pin box and towed, and Lippert had me bring it to the factory. They just replaced the pin box again!! Still have the same problem with the wedge slipping. I was going to ask for suggestions for either solutions or different hitches. I have a Curt 16,000lb hitch in the bed.
    What wedge are you using?

I have the Curt A16 hitch and use the Reese Sidewinder wedge as per the Turning Point manual.

Never had an issue with it pulling my 260RD.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold