0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 payload

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Where did you get the 1650 figure from?

Only a cat scale run will tell the real numbers

I am sure it is much lower than 1650
    It’s on the F150 door sticker what makes you assume it’s much lower? I specifically skip four-wheel-drive, sunroof and a few features to save weight. If I’m sensing a little jealousy you don’t know or own a F150 hybrid powerboost w 25 mpg city …that’s OK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 2018 2670MK with a 2016 F150 Max Tow. I have added 10 ply tires, rear sway bar, air bags and Bilstein shocks. I also use a Hensley hitch. I have also beefed up the trailer suspension with Sumo Springs, GY Endurance tires and the Morryde 3000 system. We’re happy with the trailer for the most part but like others have said, it is too light in the front. Ours does not have the 2nd AC, still has the smaller propane tanks and one 12v battery. I have never weighed this set up but I’m sure I’m over the specified payload of my truck (1850#). I pack all the heavier stuff towards the front while traveling to try to increase the tongue weight. It tows pretty well but I wouldn’t say it is great. I’m sure everyone’s idea of what they consider “tows great” is different. I’ve owned two dually’s in the past and also two 3/4 ton trucks. The 1/2 ton is just not as rock solid, even with the Hensley hitch. Again, it’s not horrible and I don’t feel it’s unsafe, just not what I would call “great”. The power and brakes are there, just doesn’t have that rock solid feeling. On another note, the brakes on our 2670 also went out last trip out. Ended up being a wire that was clipped to the back of one of the backing plates. The insulation had wore off and was shorting out on the backing plate.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Precab View Post
    It’s on the F150 door sticker what makes you assume it’s much lower? I specifically skip four-wheel-drive, sunroof and a few features to save weight. If I’m sensing a little jealousy you don’t know or own a F150 hybrid powerboost w 25 mpg city …that’s OK
    Ummmm. What?
    No not “jealous” of anything. What gave you that impression?
    All I suggested is you take your truck alone and go weigh it to find the exact curb weight but you do you
    Goodluck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ALL-ACES View Post
    I tow a 2018 2670MK with a 2016 F150 Max Tow. I have added 10 ply tires, rear sway bar, air bags and Bilstein shocks. I also use a Hensley hitch. I have also beefed up the trailer suspension with Sumo Springs, GY Endurance tires and the Morryde 3000 system. We’re happy with the trailer for the most part but like others have said, it is too light in the front. Ours does not have the 2nd AC, still has the smaller propane tanks and one 12v battery. I have never weighed this set up but I’m sure I’m over the specified payload of my truck (1850#). I pack all the heavier stuff towards the front while traveling to try to increase the tongue weight. It tows pretty well but I wouldn’t say it is great. I’m sure everyone’s idea of what they consider “tows great” is different. I’ve owned two dually’s in the past and also two 3/4 ton trucks. The 1/2 ton is just not as rock solid, even with the Hensley hitch. Again, it’s not horrible and I don’t feel it’s unsafe, just not what I would call “great”. The power and brakes are there, just doesn’t have that rock solid feeling. On another note, the brakes on our 2670 also went out last trip out. Ended up being a wire that was clipped to the back of one of the backing plates. The insulation had wore off and was shorting out on the backing plate.
    Thank you for the feedback this is what I was looking for.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    My recommendation is get real life numbers, not manufacturer advertised numbers, but from sticker or owners and punched them here https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/
    I tow a 22mle with a F150 2.7EB and find that I'm near max on my capacities. Power is not the problem.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Same set up for me. Pulls and handles really well but I have to watch weight added to the bed.
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 2670 with 1/2 ton for half a season. I then bought a 3/4 ton. I had a Silverado with payload capacity to pull the 2670MK. It towed ok, however I could feel the trailer pushing the truck around on curves. I ended up upgrading to a 3/4 ton gasser and the difference is nigh and day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not intend to be at all negative just sharing very recent experience in the past year and a half.
    I bought two trucks and two travel trailers in 2021.

I did every imaginable mod to a 2021 RAM 1500 possible to feel in control and it just didn't work for me.
    Pulling a trailer is actually the easy part. Stopping the darn thing is what really counts.

I say this only because you specifically asked- so the answer for me would be just don't. Don't waste the money, Don't loose the sleep. Don't put yourself at risk.

By the way I do have a Hensley Hitch (basically the same as ProPride).

I read in a post somewhere that it is usually your third truck and third trailer before you get it right, apparently I am in good company being a slow learner...LOL
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went camping a few weeks ago about 5 hours away. On the way up the wind was literally gusting 50+ mph from the south. Needless to say it was not a fun trip. At the campground the couple across from us also had a 2670. There’s was a 21 model with 2 AC’s, bike rack etc. He told me originally they were pulling it with a 1/2 ton (don’t remember which brand) and they took a trip to the Appalachian mountains and it was also windy. They got spooked and bought a new Ram 2500 gas. He said it pulls much better now. I went and looked at a ‘19 F350 SRW CCLB 6.2l today. Still mulling over if that’s the truck I want but we’re going to do something different before too long.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ALL-ACES View Post
    We went camping a few weeks ago about 5 hours away. On the way up the wind was literally gusting 50+ mph from the south. Needless to say it was not a fun trip. At the campground the couple across from us also had a 2670. There’s was a 21 model with 2 AC’s, bike rack etc. He told me originally they were pulling it with a 1/2 ton (don’t remember which brand) and they took a trip to the Appalachian mountains and it was also windy. They got spooked and bought a new Ram 2500 gas. He said it pulls much better now. I went and looked at a ‘19 F350 SRW CCLB 6.2l today. Still mulling over if that’s the truck I want but we’re going to do something different before too long.
    Thank you for the feedback. I have wind thoughts as job one in Texas. I don't visit the mountains more than once a year. Time will tell how this venture unfolds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow a 2019 2670MK with a 2015 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, Limited, 4x4. The camper mods are the Morryde 3000 system, disc brakes, upgraded Dexter 5200 lb axels and GY Endurance tires. On the Tundra I only added RAS and Cooper 10 ply tires and use the EZ Lift wdh with added sway bar. We have now towed this combination for over 11,000 miles from Georgia into the north Georgia and North Carolina mountains, to the Shenandoah Mountains in VA and thru TN and KY to central IL.
    I can only convey our personal experiences. I have never experienced what I would call scary or "white knuckle" towing and have had zero sway. I do travel with about 1/4 - 1/3 in the fresh water tank to help offset the 2670's heavy rear. On some concrete highways we do experience the porpoise effect, but I believe this not uncommon for towable trailers. I have checked weights on CAT scales a few times and we do approach or slightly exceed stated payload capacity at times. Of course with any half ton the truck is working hard through steep and/or long uphill grades, but the Tundra has never failed or experienced any mechanical issues. On the downhill side, I have never felt pushed or overpowered by the camper. I typically do not exceed 65 mph on highways and take my time in the mountains. The folks behind me will get where they are going eventually.
    I would not feel safe or comfortable towing anything larger than this with a half ton, but I have seen many doing more. Just last week at a campground in N. Ga. there was F150 towing a Reflection 315 trailer and a Suburban towing a Reflection 315 trailer.
    Again, these are my experiences and everyone should act on what they are comfortable with. I love the Toyota reliability and the Tundra works well for us.
    2019 Imagine 2670MK, Titan disc brakes, Morryde CRE3000
    2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited TRD; RAS
    Bikes: Jamus Dragonslayer 26+ Sport, Electra Townie Go 8i
    Kayaks: Jackson Allwater, Liquid Logic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast