User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBraap View Post
    Here's what I'm working with. This won't work or it will?
    As FT4Now stated.....that 30A double pole breaker is a no go for that application. DID YOU SEE the link that I posted above? Your main 50A double pole breaker is going to have to be removed, and the Quad breaker I have the link to should work in you panel......as long as the panel will accept that breaker brand and model.

The biggest PROBLEM is see is that you simply do not have enough room in the OEM breaker panel to add the Quad breaker that I listed in the link above. You may end up having to put in a sub panel just for the washer/dryer circuit.

ATTENTION: After reading my description below, you will see that I stated that it is impossible to have 240VAC circuits in an RV except for the main. That is true.....unless....you replace the main with a Quad Breaker like I listed a link for above. My explanation was written for a Facebook group that was having a terrible time understanding the RV 50A stuff....and there was NO REASON to confuse them further with how to do a 240VAC Quad Breaker setup.

Here is a write up that I did a few years back to help folks understand how their RV 50A and panel operates......

The RV electrical systems have been engineered by professional folks, following an established method of electrical distribution that is not subject to your opinion or what you think on how it "should" work, it's based on how it DOES work. So in this case, opinion is totally irrelevant.....and FACT is the determining method of RV electrical systems.

And the fact is this. A 50A RV electrical system will be comprised of two hot legs, created by what is known as a Split Phase system, and thought of as L1 and L2, a neutral wire, and a ground wire. The two hot legs will be 180 degrees out of phase with each other (and if you don't know what that means, you likely are not going to thoroughly understand how it works) and they WILL IN FACT be able to provide 50 amps of 120VAC PER LEG. In the case of a 50A RV Electrical system, it is basically the exact same as the electrical distribution system INTO your house or home. The difference between the two (RV and your house) is in the electrical distribution panel....a.k.a. the breaker panel. Up to that point (disregarding that fact that your house will use a ground rod at the service entrance and your RV has a continuous ground wire from the pedestal to your RV) the two are exactly alike. Distribution of that power is where the difference is...not the power source itself.

The RV breaker panel is made so that the 50A Main breaker is located in the center of the panel and the associated bus work for each hot leg goes in opposite directions, so it is impossible to have a 240VAC circuit any place other than the Main breaker itself. In regard to the 50A Main breaker....the LEFT most half of that breaker feeds 120VAC (with respect to neutral) only to the LEFT side of the panel for the purpose of being able to install single pole breakers into the available spaces on the LEFT side of the panel. The RIGHT most half of the 50A Main breaker feeds the bus on the RIGHT side of the panel, providing 120VAC (with respect to the neutral wire) to all of the available slots on the RIGHT side of the panel. The left side of the panel can be thought of as Phase A...or L1.....and the right side of the panel would then be Phase B... or L2....and MOST IMPORTANTLY....L1 and L2 are electrically 180 degrees OUT OF PHASE with each other. The fact that the two hot legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, is what allows the neutral wire to NEVER have to carry any more than 50 amps of current.....even if each leg is pulling the maximum amount of current available to each leg.....50 amps each.

It's really pretty simple if you have been trained and or have knowledge of how a split phase electrical distribution system works.....if you don't, it might be a bit troublesome and cause you to make statements that may not be true at all. Sorry for the long-winded post, but hopefully it may help clear up some of the mis-statements made in this ongoing topic.
    Last edited by xrated; 07-03-2022 at 05:00 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I'm working with. This won't work or it will?

That panel will not support and provide 240 v with the breaker you pictured.

The only source of 240 v is in the slot that the OEM 50 amp main breaker is located.

Look at the specialize 50a/30a double pole independent trip breaker that XRated linked to. That type of breaker may work but it needs to be compatible with your panel. The panel lists brands and models that can be used in your panel but I don’t see that Eaton listed.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you xrated, I'm hoping sliding all the other breakers up that the quad breaker you posted will fit. I obviously have a lot to read up on and learn. A sub panel doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you xrated, I'm hoping sliding all the other breakers up that the quad breaker you posted will fit. I obviously have a lot to read up on and learn. A sub panel doesn't sound like a bad idea either.
    The Quad breaker would replace the original 50 amp double pole breaker. You don’t move any of the other existing breakers. That is if the panel supports the Eaton breaker.

Another 30/50 quad version is a Siemens Q23050CT2 if your panel supports it. https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q2305.../dp/B000VYKYR4
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    That panel will not support and provide 240 v with the breaker you pictured.

The only source of 240 v is in the slot that the OEM 50 amp main breaker is located.

Look at the specialize 50a/30a double pole independent trip breaker that XRated linked to. That type of breaker may work but it needs to be compatible with your panel. The panel lists brands and models that can be used in your panel but I don’t see that Eaton listed.
    Jerryr.....that is correct. I couldn't remember what breakers those panels will work with, but there are several different brands and models....but they have to be an exact match.....model and brand with what the panel says. And like I told him, the biggest problem I see is that he just doesn't have any spare spaces in that panel. He may have to add a sub panel somewhere and use something like that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    The Quad breaker would replace the original 50 amp double pole breaker. You don’t move any of the other existing breakers. That is if the panel supports the Eaton breaker.

Another 30/50 quad version is a Siemens Q23050CT2 if your panel supports it. https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q2305.../dp/B000VYKYR4
    Jerryr.....I'll admit, I've never used one of the Quad breakers myself.....so what you're saying is that the width of that Quad breaker is equivalent to the width of two regular breaker....or the exact width of the OEM main breakers.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Jerryr.....that is correct. I couldn't remember what breakers those panels will work with, but there are several different brands and models....but they have to be an exact match.....model and brand with what the panel says. And like I told him, the biggest problem I see is that he just doesn't have any spare spaces in that panel. He may have to add a sub panel somewhere and use something like that.
    I just looked at the panel listing. According to the Amazon listing, the Siemens Quad is QT, ITE comparable so it may work since Siemens QT is listed as compatible on his picture.

He looks like there may be unused slots on both ends. Perhaps move the Refrig and Washer/dryer to the outboard slots, replace the 50a DP with the Siemens quad 30/50 DP would work.
    Jerry & Linda

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he’s out of slots he could free up slots replacing some existing single pole breakers with tandem breakers. My breaker panel on my Reflection has multiple tandem breakers installed.

Here’s my panel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 889D14D8-CFE9-401B-977C-E3D6EC517CC3.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this quad breaker doesn't work. Where would a sub panel receive power from?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this quad breaker doesn't work. Where would a sub panel receive power from?
    From a monetary standpoint, my opinion is that going with the Quad Breaker or "Double pole Tandem" would be the least dollars to make this work. A sub panel would have to be fed from a Double pole breaker in your existing panel, then over to the sub panel.....and you don't have a setup for a double pole breaker in there....other than the 50A main...and you shouldn't tap off of the load side of that.

Check into the one that I linked above, it if will fit in the panel like Jerryr says that it might/should and that will instantly give you a 30A Double Pole breaker for the washer/dryer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast