Thread: 2022 2670 mk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 2670 mk

Hi there,

When level, what’s the ball hitch coupler height? Bigger question is, I have air bladder for the suspension. What’s the recommended process for hitching (setting up) the trailer/truck.
    * what height should I have the ball
    * should I have the bladder filled when I set the height of the ball
    * etc.
    Last edited by bgrounds; 07-03-2022 at 03:06 PM.
    2022 GD 2670 MK
    2020 Ford Raptor (Upgraded Intercooler & Suspension Air Bladder Kit)
    Anderson WD AS Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until reading this thread, had never heard of this type of hitch. Interesting concept. I have a 2020 2670 mk but use a ProPride hitch. I think the coupler height was 25 inches, but not sure. Sorry... not much help.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Towing, Hitching & Maneuvering.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suspect it is not a type of hitch, but a built in air bag on the truck.

Sorry, mine is away in storage, so can't give you the height of the ball. Easy to do -take a spirit level and put in on the ground (assuming flat ground! - driveway, cement pad, parking lot), pointed front to back. Then move it to the floor inside the door of the trailer. Jack up the tongue jack until the bubble is the same as it was on the ground. Measure your height at the ball. This is the maximum height it should be when fully hitched. Many trailers tow better when slightly nose down from this amount.

If the bladder is for the rear truck suspension -
    Hitch up you truck, with your air bladder at whatever minimum amount is recommended by the mfg. Set your weight distribution bars fully, too. We'll assume that this gives you the appropriate weight back on the front tires.
    Check the trailer height at the ball. If the sag on the rear end of the truck causes it to be excessively nose down, or the truck bottoms out due to the weight, pump up the bladder until most of the drop on the tongue is gone. Again, a bit of nose down is better.

The fine tuning part - you will have to do a bunch of test driving to see what works best. The bladder will level out the truck and soften the ride to prevent bumps from letting the truck suspension bottom out. If it doesn't, and you feel you must add more air to stop this, you may find your trailer level or too high - then the recourse may be figure out how to drop the height of the ball.
    Try different amounts of air to see how well/differently it tows with differing amounts of trailer nose down. Each setup and load is different.
    If you have to change the weight distribution to get more/less weight on the front, this too will change the amount of sag to compensate for on the rear. So more test drives.
    Big changes in truck loads (6 people rather than 2, a load of gravel, etc.) or in trailer load (full water vs none, etc.) may change the amount of air needed.

In the end, as long as the first part is done, the "fine tuning" part likely won't produce major differences in how it drives. Some settings will be somewhat better, some not so much.

Once you find out an acceptable amount for the bladder, you can hitch up with it inflated that much, knowing it will all settle into place when fully hitched.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)