User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

367BHS Solar Wire run from roof to basement

Working on the layout for my install and need to run larger wires to the roof. Did anyone find a diagram or can point me In The right direction where I can find the opening on the roof that will go to the basement? The location of the factory port on the roof is above the front bedroom ceiling making using the existing wires as a pull for new ones almost impossible.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joegleason View Post
    Working on the layout for my install and need to run larger wires to the roof. Did anyone find a diagram or can point me In The right direction where I can find the opening on the roof that will go to the basement? The location of the factory port on the roof is above the front bedroom ceiling making using the existing wires as a pull for new ones almost impossible.
    Hi Joe,

First, Welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks here willing to help.

To your issue, I think we need a bit more information.
    Why are you unable to use the existing wire pull?
    If you have the solar prep or factory solar, I believe it is 10 gauge wire.
    What is it you are trying to do?

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Joe,

First, Welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks here willing to help.

To your issue, I think we need a bit more information.
    Why are you unable to use the existing wire pull?
    If you have the solar prep or factory solar, I believe it is 10 gauge wire.
    What is it you are trying to do?

Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thank you for the quick response and welcome.

We are installing 6 to 8, 250w panels and will need to run larger gauge. The factory port with the two solar connectors (10 gauge wire) is located at a place I am not sure I will be able to use to pull the larger wires. It is just inside the front bedroom above the door. I'm trying to find out if this is the location to pull additional wires or another location on the roof above an interior wall. Looking at it last night one of the bathroom walls would make sense but i wanted to get some feedback before I start measuring and drilling

Thank you again for your response.

Joe

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

We are installing 6 to 8, 250w panels and will need to run larger gauge. The factory port with the two solar connectors (10 gauge wire) is located at a place I am not sure I will be able to use to pull the larger wires. It is just inside the front bedroom above the door. I'm trying to find out if this is the location to pull additional wires or another location on the roof above an interior wall. Looking at it last night one of the bathroom walls would make sense but i wanted to get some feedback before I start measuring and drilling

Joe
    I was able to do some investigating and found the factory solar comes through the roof just above the hallway light outside of the bathroom (See attached images). It looks like the 10 gauge wire angles towards the drivers front on the rig and appears to be secured in place. I can use this for one of the 3 strings and will need to find another path from the roof to the basement for the other two strings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0829.jpg   IMG_0828.jpg   IMG_0821.jpg  

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

Joe
    Hi Joe,

That is a big system! Agree 10 gauge my not serve your needs. Also, that wire drop looks like it was not really thought out. Kind of a dumb spot to drop those wires. I am planning on building and 800 watt system, but the pre-wire makes a bit more sense on my rig. Brings the wire very close to the battery area.

You should be able to use the existing 10 gauge to pull new wires through.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this out before replacing your wire. It’s quite informative.

https://youtu.be/JW0vrTAa50s

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Joe,

That is a big system! Agree 10 gauge my not serve your needs. Also, that wire drop looks like it was not really thought out. Kind of a dumb spot to drop those wires. I am planning on building and 800 watt system, but the pre-wire makes a bit more sense on my rig. Brings the wire very close to the battery area.

You should be able to use the existing 10 gauge to pull new wires through.

Bill
    It looks like the wall behind the toilet has a vent stack and other wires running to the roof in it. I know I can get to the bottom and look up from the basement so this may be a simple measuring activity then drilling the hole in the roof just next to the vent stack.

Joe

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the wall behind the toilet has a vent stack and other wires running to the roof in it. I know I can get to the bottom and look up from the basement so this may be a simple measuring activity then drilling the hole in the roof just next to the vent stack.

Joe
    I have a 2020 337 and put in a larger wire for solar to the roof. I ran the wire up the wall behind the toilet and up through a new hole I drilled in the roof. On my unit there was enough room next to existing wires to run new wires through the top board of the wall behind the toilet so I did not need to remove the wall behind the toilet. You may have to remove the wall to drill new holes through the top board. I was able to access the top board of the wall behind the toilet by removing the the inside of the bathroom vent over the toilet.

On my unit I traced the path of the 10 gauge factory solar wire and as I recall I calculated it was about 30’ long. It ran from the battery area, through the storage basement, through the utility area, up the wall behind the toilet, over by the shower sky light to the bed room then across to the same location by the bedroom door you describe. Your installation may be different.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 07-06-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    I have a 2020 337 and put in a larger wire for solar to the roof. I ran the wire up the wall behind the toilet and up through a new hole I drilled in the roof. On my unit there was enough room next to existing wires to run new wires through the top board of the wall behind the toilet so I did not need to remove the wall behind the toilet. You may have to remove the wall to drill new holes through the top board. I was able to access the top board of the wall behind the toilet by removing the the inside of the bathroom vent over the toilet.

On my unit I traced the path of the 10 gauge factory solar wire and as I recall I calculated it was about 30’ long. It ran from the battery area, through the storage basement, through the utility area, up the wall behind the toilet, over by the shower sky light to the bed room then across to the same location by the bedroom door you describe. Your installation may be different.

Thanks for the information, mine sounds about the same. I removed the vent just behind the toilet and it looks like the 10-gauge wire I found in the ceiling comes down behind the toilet. I need to see if I can remove the panel behind the toilet without making a big mess. Drilling up through the roof would be much better. I ordered the waterproof box I plan to use as the combiner box on the roof. Drilling the hole will start once the box arrives. I'll need to make sure it's watertight right away.

Joe

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information, mine sounds about the same. I removed the vent just behind the toilet and it looks like the 10-gauge wire I found in the ceiling comes down behind the toilet. I need to see if I can remove the panel behind the toilet without making a big mess. Drilling up through the roof would be much better. I ordered the waterproof box I plan to use as the combiner box on the roof. Drilling the hole will start once the box arrives. I'll need to make sure it's watertight right away.

Joe
    I had to take the side wall next to the toilet apart to reattach the track for the pocket door. The wall was not hard to remove, just a pain. The molding around the edges is held on with staples. I used plastic automotive trim removal tools to remove the molding. The panels were attached with some brands then they went around the panel with staples about every four inches. About 30 staples. Dig out the heads of the staples and pull with pliers, that was the PIA part. Good luck.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast