User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assembly damage to AC

Purchased a new 390RK and on the first weekend of usage the main air conditioner drains into the kitchen and not outside.
    I pulled the cover off to find the bottom pan bent and twisted, the condenser sitting crooked and two holes in the roof.
    Obviously the ac unit was dropped from a significant distance to cause this much damage.
    Contacted my dealer and after a week, they were given authorization to replace the ac unit and patch the roof.
    I didn’t spend over $100K on a new RV to have a patched roof.
    I demanded a new RV. I was told to contact GD myself.
    After a week, two voicemails left and an email I still haven’t heard back.
    Any suggestions before contacting an attorney?

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but I am confused. Having just been on the roof of an RV I just traded, to remove 2 Soft Starts, I cannot understood how there were two holes in the roof that were only visible after removing the AC covers. Perhaps you could provide some pictures to illustrate the problem?
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A patch isn’t a big deal IMO but do what you feel you need to do
    The wait,cost and frustration over something that can be fixed perfectly and last forever is not something I would do
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    Sorry but I am confused. Having just been on the roof of an RV I just traded, to remove 2 Soft Starts, I cannot understood how there were two holes in the roof that were only visible after removing the AC covers. Perhaps you could provide some pictures to illustrate the problem?
    The holes are under the corner of the acClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	41646

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, welcome to the forum.......

It may be rough getting contact from GD right now, they are in their 2 week shutdown period.

Honestly, if it were me, I would get the selling dealership to replace the a/c unit and run Tedlar tape around the square to cover those holes. It is a permanent fix, and won't even be seen.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdbrown View Post
    The holes are under the corner of the acClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	41646

OOOH. Not good. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I have never involved a legal representative over damage to any RV that I did not cause and am not even sure if it is a situation that warrants it and therefore cannot offer advice on that issue. FWIW, I agree that this is unacceptable. however I also tend to agree with @NB-Canada. If this was my RV, and it is not, with 28 years of RVing under my belt I would fix it myself and move on. Waiting on a dealer is possibly going to be a long and painful experience. That area can be patched after pulling the AC off, carefully. The patch will outlast the rest of the roof.
    Whatever you decide I wish you well and good luck.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, this may be one of those situations where the cost and time spent on litigation may be more than what its worth getting it fixed, possibly working something out with GD/dealer for some possible $ help on a lifetime roof protectorant like RV Armour, and moving on.

Either way.... as been said, good luck whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 07-06-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I can feel your pain and frustration @hdbrown over investing so much with an unsatisfactory experience right at the outset, I agree with others' statements above that you're better off finding a good fix and putting this behind you. You'll never get back the time put into legal wrestling, not to mention the aggravation.

Oh, and so sorry that this has been the focus of your introduction to the forum, welcome aboard, you'll find plenty of friendly folks here. Most of us have a few bumps and bruises acquired during our Rving careers, but we're still here.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S