User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Bubble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Bubble

I’ve been thinking about how to ask this for a couple of days. I have a roof bubble forming right at the front. It is half the width of the trailer and extends back about two feet now. 500 miles ago it was only about a foot deep. I am going to replace the roof with flex armor (the guy in Denton) but my appointment is 6 weeks out. I want to head north, way north, to comfortable temperatures until then. So I need to do a temporary repair.

I’m thinking a making a couple of slices in the TPO. Then using a Loctite spray adhesive to re-attach it as much as possible. Finally I'll re-seal the slices with Dicor. It seems like it would work, but the idea of cutting the TPO bothers me, so I’m looking for other ideas before I commit.

Thanks
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    I’ve been thinking about how to ask this for a couple of days. I have a roof bubble forming right at the front. It is half the width of the trailer and extends back about two feet now. 500 miles ago it was only about a foot deep. I am going to replace the roof with flex armor (the guy in Denton) but my appointment is 6 weeks out. I want to head north, way north, to comfortable temperatures until then. So I need to do a temporary repair.

I’m thinking a making a couple of slices in the TPO. Then using a Loctite spray adhesive to re-attach it as much as possible. Finally I'll re-seal the slices with Dicor. It seems like it would work, but the idea of cutting the TPO bothers me, so I’m looking for other ideas before I commit.

Thanks
    Check the transition from the front cap to the roof. I'll bet there is a place where wind is getting inner the TPO. My recommendation is to try to squeeze as much of the air out as possible, even if you have to make a slit in the membrane right at the front cap, then run a strip of 6" wide EternaBond from side to side, overlapping the Dicor, front cap, and membrane.

Several of us have done this as a preventative measure.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Check the transition from the front cap to the roof. I'll bet there is a place where wind is getting inner the TPO. My recommendation is to try to squeeze as much of the air out as possible, even if you have to make a slit in the membrane right at the front cap, then run a strip of 6" wide EternaBond from side to side, overlapping the Dicor, front cap, and membrane.

Several of us have done this as a preventative measure.
    Morning MoonShadow, my TPO is starting to balloon just behind the front cap. The termination strip is tight and the sealant is now split. As I understand it low air pressure (i.e. 65mph + high head winds) passing over the roof is lifting the TPO and stretching it. Do you have any pictures of your fix? thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you're describing, I think a full-on intervention is needed, i.e., gaining access to the entire area that is no longer adhered. With that kind of area loose, it won't get anything but worse. If this means cutting the membrane to re-glue, that's what has to be done. Resealing with the appropriate self-leveling sealer is fine - and a much better solution than having that large an area not adhered to the roof. A couple of cautions: determine whether you have a TPO or EPDM room membrane (GD Customer Service can help with this with your VIN) to make sure you use a compatible adhesive and the right self-leveling sealant. You don't want an adhesive that can damage the underside of the membrane.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, it is just now forming, the area affected is still relatively small. about 4" wide and 3' long right behind the termination strip. geotex1 provided me with what it will take to do a permanent proper repair. I am holding two appointments, one with a dealer (Feb 2023) and one with FlexArmor (Apr 2023). Just trying to mitigate it to finish off this season.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Morning MoonShadow, my TPO is starting to balloon just behind the front cap. The termination strip is tight and the sealant is now split. As I understand it low air pressure (i.e. 65mph + high head winds) passing over the roof is lifting the TPO and stretching it. Do you have any pictures of your fix? thanks, Frank.
    Here is the thread I started (you can find them using the search function) about the preventative measure I took by putting a 6" wide strip of Eternabond down across the front and the back of the roof membrane where is was gooped with the self-leveling sealant.

Again, this was a preventative measure.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...bond-roof-seal

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post

Thanks
    Will FlexArmor spray over the existing membrane or remove the membrane before spraying?
    Last edited by Riverbug; 08-06-2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark, I had missed that when you posted it.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Will FlexArmor spray over the existing membrane or remove the membrane before spraying?
    The old membrane is removed, cutting around the A/C and other"permanently" mounted devices, usually most of the sealant comes up with the TPO removal; trim is also removed. Then FlexArmor is "painted" on the roof. At least, that is what I've seen in a couple of videos I watched about a year ago.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    The old membrane is removed, cutting around the A/C and other"permanently" mounted devices, usually most of the sealant comes up with the TPO removal; trim is also removed. Then FlexArmor is "painted" on the roof. At least, that is what I've seen in a couple of videos I watched about a year ago.
    You may want to make sure that they will remove it. I've seen a video recently where the customer wanted it removed and they sprayed over the existing with bubbles under it. They told him it didn't need to be removed after the fact. I'd just check to make sure you are on the same page if removal is what you want.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast