Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Wire Routing

2015 369RL
    I am planning the install for solar. Trying to think of everything so I don’t have to stop the project in the middle. Lots of room on the roof so I can check that box off. Next issue is routing the wires down to front bay where everything.
    So my plan is two 200 watt panels for a total of 400 watts. Would like to keep the wire runs as short as possible so I want to mount them right behind the front A/C unit.
    Checked the roof today and I did not see anything that looks promising as a location at the front. I have read some articles and learned that messing with the front cap brings nothing but sorrow to your life.

Anyone run solar on a 369 RL??
    Looking for input on best area to drill in roof for a short wire run. (I am considering the area directly above the electrical panel but that will give me an approximate 25’ run
    Alan

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannLori View Post
    2015 369RL
    I am planning the install for solar. Trying to think of everything so I don’t have to stop the project in the middle. Lots of room on the roof so I can check that box off. Next issue is routing the wires down to front bay where everything.
    So my plan is two 200 watt panels for a total of 400 watts. Would like to keep the wire runs as short as possible so I want to mount them right behind the front A/C unit.
    Checked the roof today and I did not see anything that looks promising as a location at the front. I have read some articles and learned that messing with the front cap brings nothing but sorrow to your life.

Looking for input on best area to drill in roof for a short wire run. (I am considering the area directly above the electrical panel but that will give me an approximate 25’ run
    Alan
    The AC can shade the panel.
    If you use an MPPT controller (I recommend you do) Standard 10GA solar wire is good for 30' @30 amps.
    That can run a lot of panels.
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-06-2022 at 03:17 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannLori View Post
    2015 369RL

Alan
    Curious how you decided on 400 watts? It seems to me that if you're going to go through the trouble of installing solar, you would want a bit more. Why not just use a heavier gauge cable to account for the longer run and have the flexibility to add more as you go along. The further I get into my solar odyssey, the more I'm starting to think that one can never have too much.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Solar Systems & Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 400 is arbitrary!! Get that out there right up front. At this time in our life, we are doing about 95% full hook up camping. I spent the money a few years ago and converted to 3 (100amp) Li batteries with a Victron Multiplus. I just retired this year so we plan on doing more trips (diesel fuel prices)!!!! Since we plan on staying out longer than just a weekend or week there may be times when we stay at Walmart…. Or the side of the road. I am not looking to power anything major, just keep the batteries full and a little extra juice as a back up. Tv rarely gets turned on. Our big E guzzlers are fridge and A/C units
    I was just looking for a location to route the cable through the roof. Not sure if there good access next to bedroom slide out or if I should stay away from that side and go to other side.