Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large Momentum 5th wheels only: Bedroom interior wall damage

Hello!

My 2021 399TH was recently repaired for what was thought to be a frame flex issue. We first noticed dust on the night stands after a travel day and started noticing damage to the wall where the left side night stand table contacts the wall. We also noticed we weren't able to open either side door in the overhead cabinet when we spent the night on the hitch at a Harvest Host. This prompted me to send an email to GD CS asking about allowable frame flex. This led to LCI getting involved and later taking it to a dealer who ultimately found 18 missing screws that attach the exterior walls to the upper deck. Basically, the frame was floating within the walls while traveling. The dealer made repairs and all was well when I picked the trailer up. After our first trip, I noticed the overhead cabinet doors couldn't be opened while on the hitch and the wear on the left wall where the night stand counter is is still happening. I know of 3 other owners with the same issue, but with different trailers. One is a 398M, another is a 381M, and the other is also a 399TH. The common denominator is all 4 trailers are 2021 models. The other 399TH was also repaired in the same manor as mine, but the issue has returned. I am now suspecting a pin weight issue since my trailer was completely empty of my "stuff" when it was repaired and when I checked to see if the cabinet doors could be opened while on the hitch. Now that I have my "stuff" loaded, I know my pin weight is in excess of 4200 lbs. I'm going to have the whole rig weighed and then just the truck. I've asked my GD rep to contact LCI to get the maximum allowable pin weight for the frame.

My question to everyone reading this, if you have a large Momentum 5th wheel, are you seeing any unusual wear or "dust" in your bedroom? Do you notice the front cap "bounces" a lot when rolling over rough roads?

If you are seeing these things, please comment with your trailer floorplan and model year. It seems trailers built prior to the 2021 model year don't have this issue. GD isn't willing to say what has changed in their design or LCI's frame. Other than the shitty workmanship during assembly of my trailer, I suspect we are exceeding the design limits of the frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same exact issue. I am in the middle of a dispute with GD now. CS is not saying what the issue is nor will they say if it is safe to drive. Our rig was built in July of 2021. I have wall damage on both sides, both cabinet backs are destroyed, lower valance on the passenger side has detached from the wall, middle floor creeks, and the back wall has separated from the lower cabinets. I had 2 LCI techs come out and take video/diagnose the problem. I was quoted, "we know what the issue is" without taking a screw out of the rig.

I concur this is a frame issue and is either over capacity or is bad engineering. I have video of the bouncing on rough roads and the flex between unhooked to hooked up. Ours flexes 2 inches between hooked/unhooked.... There is something structurally wrong with the trailer and this is a rampid problem in anything built in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootn View Post
    Hello!

My 2021 399TH was recently repaired for what was thought to be a frame flex issue. We first noticed dust on the night stands after a travel day and started noticing damage to the wall where the left side night stand table contacts the wall. We also noticed we weren't able to open either side door in the overhead cabinet when we spent the night on the hitch at a Harvest Host. This prompted me to send an email to GD CS asking about allowable frame flex. This led to LCI getting involved and later taking it to a dealer who ultimately found 18 missing screws that attach the exterior walls to the upper deck. Basically, the frame was floating within the walls while traveling. The dealer made repairs and all was well when I picked the trailer up. After our first trip, I noticed the overhead cabinet doors couldn't be opened while on the hitch and the wear on the left wall where the night stand counter is is still happening. I know of 3 other owners with the same issue, but with different trailers. One is a 398M, another is a 381M, and the other is also a 399TH. The common denominator is all 4 trailers are 2021 models. The other 399TH was also repaired in the same manor as mine, but the issue has returned. I am now suspecting a pin weight issue since my trailer was completely empty of my "stuff" when it was repaired and when I checked to see if the cabinet doors could be opened while on the hitch. Now that I have my "stuff" loaded, I know my pin weight is in excess of 4200 lbs. I'm going to have the whole rig weighed and then just the truck. I've asked my GD rep to contact LCI to get the maximum allowable pin weight for the frame.

My question to everyone reading this, if you have a large Momentum 5th wheel, are you seeing any unusual wear or "dust" in your bedroom? Do you notice the front cap "bounces" a lot when rolling over rough roads?

If you are seeing these things, please comment with your trailer floorplan and model year. It seems trailers built prior to the 2021 model year don't have this issue. GD isn't willing to say what has changed in their design or LCI's frame. Other than the shitty workmanship during assembly of my trailer, I suspect we are exceeding the design limits of the frame.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2017 399 that we kept mainly at the GVWR when traveling and never had this issue. We found plenty of construction dust in the garage for awhile after travel days, but it eventually stopped.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 397th. Picked up in nov 2020. I had the same thing happen to mine. Not enuff lag bolts and not the correct size on the ones that they put in. That caused broken frame and lots of other issues inside and outside the rv.
    Lippert fixed the frame and put the correct lag bolts in. They also put screws in the front wall which were missing. About 60 of them.
    Did they take your front cap off ???
    If they didn’t I would bet your missing screws that attach the front wall/ closet to the side walls. Mine had two crews out of 30 on one side and none on the other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 398m

Since the first day we purchased our 2022 GD 398M we have had issues. We used this model to travel the PNW for about 5 months before returning home to have some items addressed from the purchasing dealer. We went rounds with the dealer on several occasions to only get nothing fixed. As we approached the one year mark and beyond we had to include a rep from GD(who has been great). Recently after returning from a trip we noticed the cabinets above the bed would not open and nightstands had shifted. Along with screws poking through the bottom of the cap (problem we noted from the very beginning of our purchase). Took to another dealer which GD had referred us to to get initial concerns handled, and they told me I had to file an insurance claim to fix the repairs to the cap and broken welds, and bolts sheered off due to road conditions. I had questions about this, but due to my timeframe of getting my unit back I figured ok lets get this handled. Insurance paid out $15k to have repairs done. Within five weeks and two trips we have the same problem. Now the trailer has been at the dealer for over four weeks and they are just getting to it now. Since its clearly not fixed now I feel they are dragging feet to fix or find the solution. I have GD involved as this is clearly structural issue and should have been under warranty originally. I feel now it becomes a safety issue and this could all be related to all the issues we have had with the unit from day one and corrected. Not the greatest experience with this unit. We have had others and this one takes the cake for most issues and unpleasant experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootn View Post
    Hello!