User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    While I agree that a Lead Acid replacement battery is fine for anyone that is always staying at a campground with Electric hookups, I would suggest that you seriously consider a cheaper Lithium (LiFePo4) battery. Simply because, the battery will provide you with more usable energy storage (even if you don't replace the Converter from the OEM Lead Acid Converter), they will last longer (probably longer than the camper) and they are maintenance free.

Lithium batteries just perform so much better than Lead Acid batteries that I think every RV should have Lithium as the house batteries instead of LA.
    Just curious what you consider a "cheaper" lithium battery. I'm pretty sure I can replace my $93 Wally World special 2 or 3 times for the cost of a single lithium battery. Mine generally last 4-5 years, if I don't forget to turn the Battery Disconnect Switch to "Off". Heck, many people don't even keep a trailer for 5 years.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Just curious what you consider a "cheaper" lithium battery. I'm pretty sure I can replace my $93 Wally World special 2 or 3 times for the cost of a single lithium battery. Mine generally last 4-5 years, if I don't forget to turn the Battery Disconnect Switch to "Off". Heck, many people don't even keep a trailer for 5 years.
    This (https://smile.amazon.com/LOSSIGY-Lit.../dp/B09RZY7SDH) is the smaller version of the ones I have (200 Ah). Yes, about 3 times the cost. In exchange, you get twice the usable power, faster charging, and much longer life.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    This (https://smile.amazon.com/LOSSIGY-Lit.../dp/B09RZY7SDH) is the smaller version of the ones I have (200 Ah). Yes, about 3 times the cost. In exchange, you get twice the usable power, faster charging, and much longer life.
    Whoa, that's over 4 times as much. I plug in all the time, so I don't need twice the usable power, faster charging, and much longer life. Lithium are great for boodocking, no question, but an unnecessary expense if you don't. I can still buy a decent amount of fuel for the difference in price.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Whoa, that's over 4 times as much. I plug in all the time, so I don't need twice the usable power, faster charging, and much longer life. Lithium are great for boodocking, no question, but an unnecessary expense if you don't. I can still buy a decent amount of fuel for the difference in price.
    The only other thing I would add to the battery decision is that you need to consider how well you care for your battery or batteries. I know people who “only plug in” but repeatedly kill their batteries. That gets expensive. If you take care of your batteries and are always plugged in then lead acid can work well but if you don’t take care of your batteries and run them down a few times then lithium can be cheaper in the long run.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    While I agree that a Lead Acid replacement battery is fine for anyone that is always staying at a campground with Electric hookups, I would suggest that you seriously consider a cheaper Lithium (LiFePo4) battery. Simply because, the battery will provide you with more usable energy storage (even if you don't replace the Converter from the OEM Lead Acid Converter), they will last longer (probably longer than the camper) and they are maintenance free.

Lithium batteries just perform so much better than Lead Acid batteries that I think every RV should have Lithium as the house batteries instead of LA.
    Hi Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "(even if you don't replace the Converter from the OEM Lead Acid Converter)".

Are you saying I can use the charger that came with the 22MLE to charge the LiFePo4 battery?

I thought they needed a different type of charger.

Thanks,
    Bill

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billh662 View Post
    Hi Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "(even if you don't replace the Converter from the OEM Lead Acid Converter)".

Are you saying I can use the charger that came with the 22MLE to charge the LiFePo4 battery?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Yes you can, however the LiFePO4 batteries will never charge to their capacity. They will charge to between 80%-90% capacity.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billh662 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks,
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Yes you can, however the LiFePO4 batteries will never charge to their capacity. They will charge to between 80%-90% capacity.
    If you are replacing Lead Acid batteries with Lithium, you will instantly double your "usable" storage capacity (owing to Lead Acid's 50% depth of discharge limitation before damaging your LA battery). However, this doubling only happens if you can fully charge your Lithium batteries. Since Lithium batteries have a higher voltage than LA batteries your OEM Converter will not be able to fully charge your new Lithium batteries.

Your OEM (non-Lithium capable) Converter is capable of charging your batteries to about 60 - 75 percent of full (there is some debate on the exact percentage). Not replacing your Converter right away is one way to keep your conversion "wallet friendly". You can replace the Converter next camping season, or by buying an Inverter/Charger which eliminates the need for a Converter.

Even if you choose to delay replacing your Converter, you will still get most of the benefits of Lithium batteries by simply ditching your old Lead Acid batteries.

Check out this thread "Installing Solar in Phases":

Installing-a-Solar-System-in-Phases

You might also want to check out this thread:

Affordable-Solar-How-To-Design-and-Install-an-Affordable-Solar-System
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The benefits if LiFePo4 batteries are reduced weight, fast charging, the ability to use pretty much all of the capacity, and more charge cycles than lead acid.

If the OP's setup does not have the charging system in place for these batteries and only get's 60-75% of full charge, he's not that much further ahead over comparable lead acid. Does the non- lithium charger running a lead acid profile have the ability to charge the lithium batteries quickly? Is the existing wiring even large enough to charge them quickly? Will the lithium batteries have the expected # of cycles if they are not charged properly with a lithium charging profile? Does he care to have less weight on the trailer tongue where it will do the most good concerning sway?

That said, the OP plans on plugging in and not going off grid, I find it hard to believe that anything more than a group 27 lead acid battery would make more sense for him. A group 27 marine "deep cycle" battery is not even a real deep cycle battery, but he doesn't even need that.
    Last edited by JPS350; 09-12-2023 at 06:01 PM.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 AGM 12 volt and they are doing good for me. Didn't want to make the jump to lithium.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries with no complaints.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast