User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    I started out with a Tundra pulling a Transcend 247BH. I'm sure I was over the payload capacity. Didn't really bother me for shorter trips in the state, but I didn't like it when taking longer trips. We bought a 1-ton dually knowing that we were going to upgrade to the 5th wheel we have now.

Said all that to say, if you expect to travel mostly short trips close to home, you may be fine in the short term until you can afford to upgrade trucks. If you plan to travel long distances right away, the HD truck will pay off. I used to get pretty tense with the Tundra. Not so much with the F350.
    Thanks very good point. Basically I would be driving it once 5 hours away on all flat terrain from Va to SC where I would then be living out of it for work when I don't run home on the weekends leaving it in place. Then vacations a few times a year to West Va, NC, or Fl. We would not be doing a country tour at this time though that is a dream some day when work becomes remote or retired.
    Last edited by TakeMeHome; 07-11-2022 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeMeHome View Post
    Thanks good point. Basically I would be driving it once 5 hours away all flat from Va to SC where I would be living of it for work when I don't run home on the weekends leaving it in place. Then vacations a few times a year to West Va, NC, or Fl. We would not be during a country tour in it at this time though that is a dream when work would be remote or retired.
    You will probably be fine (ducking now to avoid objects thrown by tow police). All us forum members err on the side of caution because we are RV nerds. However, I can't tell you how many big trailers I see in campground with half-tons and even SUVs parked in front of them. Passed a 30' bumper pull being pulled by a Honda Pilot yesterday. Ignorance is bliss...

Keep your speed down and you follow distance large.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm afraid he dealt you some BS. The wdh will redistribute weight off you rear tv axle and onto the front. Tongue weight is tongue and is subtracted from the TV payload. Then there's the GRAR to look at the GVWR and GCWR.
    A trip to the scales will reveal otherwise. Engaged WDH does indeed relocate weight from the TV to the trailer axles. It's not as simple as taking 100% of tongue weight and subtracting that from the payload number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    A trip to the scales will reveal otherwise. Engaged WDH does indeed relocate weight from the TV to the trailer axles. It's not as simple as taking 100% of tongue weight and subtracting that from the payload number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
    As you can see from these slips, only the weight on the TV axle changed. Now mind you, I was simply returning from the dealer on this trip, not packed for a trip. My tt axle didn't changeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1081231257.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	41763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471593720.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	41764
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    As you can see from these slips, only the weight on the TV axle changed. Now mind you, I was simply returning from the dealer on this trip, not packed for a trip. My tt axle didn't changeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1081231257.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	41763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471593720.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	41764
    Interesting. Where'd the extra 240 lbs go?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to look at something smaller by Grand Design but didn't see one I liked at a glance. I was looking for a closed off bedroom so choices are limited.
    Well you only stated the required "closed bedroom" so you might take a look at a 22 RBE.

Thinking out loud.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Interesting. Where'd the extra 240 lbs go?
    Good question. I can guarantee you that I was in the TV. Lol.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Like many first-time buyers I am coming to grip with what I can tow with my existing truck may not be as capable as I wanted. We are looking at a 2500RL if some kind owners here could lend some time to input on the following:

I own a 2019 F-150 2.7l ecoboost supercrew 4x4 short bed. It's max pull with weight distribution hitch is 7600lbs. The payload sticker in the door jam is 1577. The research I found searching was to take the max loaded on the trailer which in the case of the 2500rl is 7,495 GVWR and times it by 12% to estimate the hitch weight which is 900lbs. We will not pull it with more than a few gallons of water for flushing a few times and washing hands. Do you think 800lbs is a good estimate loaded otherwise? If so here would be my payload:

800lbs hitch
    330lbs wife and I (we are smaller and I padded)
    80lbs dogs
    212lbs gas full tank
    50lbs misc truck side packing

That leaves only 100lbs remaining on my trucks payload sticker. Am I looking at this correct and is that safe? We are looking for something to take into the mountains at some point but will be used full time in South Carolina for my work residence instead of hotel staying. I think I could safely transport it empty to my RV park but looking for any input from the experts here.

Thanks for your time,

Bob
    I have a 2500RL and I think your truck is under powered, both for torque and weight. I have a F150, but with the V8 engine and tow package. I have a super cab, not the crew cab. I have no problems and have been through the Rockies, Smokies and Ozarks. I think you will end up needing more carrying capacity and horse power/torque. Would hate to have to be worrying if I had enough truck all the time.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I have a 2500RL and I think your truck is under powered, both for torque and weight. I have a F150, but with the V8 engine and tow package. I have a super cab, not the crew cab. I have no problems and have been through the Rockies, Smokies and Ozarks. I think you will end up needing more carrying capacity and horse power/torque. Would hate to have to be worrying if I had enough truck all the time.
    Thanks, to start I’m only pulling to South Carolina so no inclines and it will sit there to work and live without moving. What’s the payload on your F150?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    I started out with a Tundra pulling a Transcend 247BH. I'm sure I was over the payload capacity. Didn't really bother me for shorter trips in the state, but I didn't like it when taking longer trips. We bought a 1-ton dually knowing that we were going to upgrade to the 5th wheel we have now.

Said all that to say, if you expect to travel mostly short trips close to home, you may be fine in the short term until you can afford to upgrade trucks. If you plan to travel long distances right away, the HD truck will pay off. I used to get pretty tense with the Tundra. Not so much with the F350.
    I never had a F-150, but I did Have a Tundra. Then I went from the Tundra to a Ram 1500. The Tundra was way more truck than the Ram1500. In opinion the Ram 1500 was nothing more than a passenger car with a pickup truck body.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast