Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post First RV towing specs on 2500RL

Hello,

Like many first-time buyers I am coming to grip with what I can tow with my existing truck may not be as capable as I wanted. We are looking at a 2500RL if some kind owners here could lend some time to input on the following:

I own a 2019 F-150 2.7l ecoboost supercrew 4x4 short bed. It's max pull with weight distribution hitch is 7600lbs. The payload sticker in the door jam is 1577. The research I found searching was to take the max loaded on the trailer which in the case of the 2500rl is 7,495 GVWR and times it by 12% to estimate the hitch weight which is 900lbs. We will not pull it with more than a few gallons of water for flushing a few times and washing hands. Do you think 800lbs is a good estimate loaded otherwise? If so here would be my payload:

800lbs hitch
    330lbs wife and I (we are smaller and I padded)
    80lbs dogs
    212lbs gas full tank
    50lbs misc truck side packing

That leaves only 100lbs remaining on my trucks payload sticker. Am I looking at this correct and is that safe? We are looking for something to take into the mountains at some point but will be used full time in South Carolina for my work residence instead of hotel staying. I think I could safely transport it empty to my RV park but looking for any input from the experts here.

Thanks for your time,

Bob
    Last edited by TakeMeHome; 07-11-2022 at 06:29 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe is impossible to answer
    I would drive it all day knowing my family was safe because I know my capabilities
    Only you can answer that
    But you will definitely be over payload. No question about it
    For one the door sticker is inaccurate
    Only a cat scale reading will tell you the true weight
    And don’t worry about that gasoline weight. Don’t add it in. You will be empty very quickly
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, CAT scale your truck to see what payload you have yyat remains. I have the exact same truck as you but I only have 1426 payload on my sticker. Our 22mle loaded for a trip with about 1/3 fresh water gives me a tongue weight of around 760. Take into account my wdh, tonneau cover, linex.... we are always near max capacities of the truck and constantly have to keep an eye on what we load.
    I think 12% is too optimistic and would be a little to light of a tw. Calculate 15% to be really safe. 13% is maybe more realistic but it's still guessing. I personally would not go ant bigger or heavier then what I have currently. Heck, I even looked at traded trucks because of this for one with greater capacity. Pulling is only a minor factor, it's the rest that really matters.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good calculator https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/ to help you
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeMeHome View Post
    Hello,

Like many first-time buyers I am coming to grip with what I can tow with my existing truck may not be as capable as I wanted. We are looking at a 2500RL if some kind owners here could lend some time to input on the following:

I own a 2019 F-150 2.7l ecoboost supercrew 4x4 short bed. It's max pull with weight distribution hitch is 7600lbs. The payload sticker in the door jam is 1577. The research I found searching was to take the max loaded on the trailer which in the case of the 2500rl is 7,495 GVWR and times it by 12% to estimate the hitch weight which is 900lbs. We will not pull it with more than a few gallons of water for flushing a few times and washing hands. Do you think 800lbs is a good estimate loaded otherwise? If so here would be my payload:

800lbs hitch
    330lbs wife and I (we are smaller and I padded)
    80lbs dogs
    212lbs gas full tank
    50lbs misc truck side packing

That leaves only 100lbs remaining on my trucks payload sticker. Am I looking at this correct and is that safe? We are looking for something to take into the mountains at some point but will be used full time in South Carolina for my work residence instead of hotel staying. I think I could safely transport it empty to my RV park but looking for any input from the experts here.

Thanks for your time,

Bob
    First off, welcome to the forum. As others have all given you some excellent guidance, let me say that I started with a half-ton truck but really noticed a difference when I upgraded. Could you pull the 2500RL with your F-150? For sure. Would you be safe? Maybe. Would you be happier with a bigger truck? In my opinion yes.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, sounds like the 2500rl is just too much for my tow. I will have to look at something smaller by Grand Design but didn't see one I liked at a glance. I was looking for a closed off bedroom so choices are limited. I may need to look at another line like the Grey Wolf 23MK or Wildwood 24rlxl knowing their underbelly doesn't have heated tanks nor likely the quality.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeMeHome View Post
    Thanks all, sounds like the 2500rl is just too much for my tow. I will have to look at something smaller by Grand Design but didn't see one I liked at a glance. I was looking for a closed off bedroom so choices are limited. I may need to look at another line like the Grey Wolf 23MK or Wildwood 24rlxl knowing their underbelly doesn't have heated tanks nor likely the quality.
    As others have pointed out on this forum, in the long run, you're going to be happier if you choose the RV that meets your needs and then pick a truck that can tow it adequately. I'd hate to see you "settle" for a coach that down the line you'll regret owning just because you already have a truck. If you and your family like the 2500RL, consider a bigger truck. And be sure you sit in any other trailers before you buy, in my opinion you'll miss the GD quality if you go that way.
    Stephen and Judy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steph and Lisa,

We've traveled for a year off and on with a F150 and of course were over or just about over of payload. we like you will upgrade our 150 late next year to a 250 or 350 gaser before another westward trip from Georgia. Hopefully by then prices will come down a bit. Happy travels
    F150 short bed
    Max tow package 20 inch tires
    36 gallon fuel tank 1600 payload
    TT 2500 RL (picked up June 25th 2021)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First RV towing specs on 2500RL

Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    As others have pointed out on this forum, in the long run, you're going to be happier if you choose the RV that meets your needs and then pick a truck that can tow it adequately. I'd hate to see you "settle" for a coach that down the line you'll regret owning just because you already have a truck. If you and your family like the 2500RL, consider a bigger truck. And be sure you sit in any other trailers before you buy, in my opinion you'll miss the GD quality if you go that way.
    This isn’t even remotely feasible for most
    The price of HD trucks is completely stupid
    They are not worth anywhere near what they sell for
    This market eventually will crash but I would never consider changing my paid for GMC 1500 crew for a new 2500/3500 which in my area are over 100k cad

My suggestion is too settle for a trailer that fits
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This isn’t even remotely feasible for most
    The price of HD trucks is completely stupid
    They are not worth anywhere near what they sell for
    This market eventually will crash but I would never consider changing my paid for GMC 1500 crew for a new 2500/3500 which in my area are over 100k cad

My suggestion is too settle for a trailer that fits
    Totally agree with you that the truck market is crazy. And so happy that your setup is working for you. In my case, I was fortunate to find a lightly used 3/4 ton that seemed affordable after I got nearly all I'd paid for the 1/2 ton in trade-in value. Since I'm paying as I go (so to speak), the small increment on my payment was insignificant to what I gained in peace of mind.
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast