User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 315RLTS with the blue ox hitch and 2000lb bars, 2017 F250 4 door Diesel Single rear axle. I get a lot of porpoising and sway while towing which has me looking at the Weigh Safe hitch. I have 1300lbs on the tongue when loaded, I set the WD to keep the truck level. Anyone else get the porpoising with the blue ox?

Pete

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things (at least) to check. First, if porpoising, you may need to put more tension in the chains. They say start at 9 but you may need to go to 10 or 11 to get enough weight shifted to the front. Second, make sure that your ball is even when hooked up. Mine was high which put too much weight back so I had to lower it one bolt and that made a big difference. I am no expert, but experimenting has helped me to dial it in. Others will probably be of more help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx for the feedback, I had 10 links on the chains before changing them out for straps (MUCH easier to deal with) and I snug those up very tight, keeping the truck and trailer level in doing so. Steering control is good so it seems I have enough weight up front, but I'll double check. I added airbags to the truck which helps but didn't solve the issue; I'll look to add more tension and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2023 315RLTS Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Slushpump View Post
    thx for the feedback, I had 10 links on the chains before changing them out for straps (MUCH easier to deal with) and I snug those up very tight, keeping the truck and trailer level in doing so. Steering control is good so it seems I have enough weight up front, but I'll double check. I added airbags to the truck which helps but didn't solve the issue; I'll look to add more tension and see if that helps.

Thanks again.
    One of the things you can do to help with your issues is to measure the height of the center of each wheel opening to the ground with no trailer and write it down. Then connect with no weight distribution and write that number down. Lastly, add the weight distribution and write down the third number.

Most of the truck manufacturers recommend a minimum of 50% return to the front axle.

Example:

Front axle height no trailer: 42 inches
    Front axle height trailer no wd: 40.5 inches
    Front axle height trailer w/wd: 41.25

You have an initial sag of 1.5 inches.
    Recommendation is 50% return to front. That equals 3/4 inch minimum.
    Addition of wd brings you back to 41.25 which is about 50% return. Considered safe.

For me I got it nearly back to empty ride height and what a difference.

I used Timbrins which replace the stock rear bump stops. They are rubber springs and really help with the sag. They will have a bit of an effect when going over small bumps etc (really stiff). For me it was worth it. I am also using the Equalizer with 1600 pound bars.

On edit, not sure if you have visited a Cat Scale, but recommend you do to get the actual weights including tongue weight. Decisions become more informed and from a much better place.

BTW, I have the same rig in 2020 vintage.

Let us know how things work.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 04-12-2023 at 07:05 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never have done the wheel height measurements as I assumed the dealer got it right (bad assumption, eh?) so I'll be doing that and the weight distribution measurements very soon. Thank you all for the feedback, will let you know how it goes.

Pete

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll be at Blue Ox on Wednesday and Thursday. Looking forward to visiting with them.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just started with our new 2022 315RLTS. Love the floorplan. Op asked for tips. The main thing I have learned so far is this model is very tongue heavy, and it is easy to load all the nice front storage and make the thing even more front heavy. Very tough to keep loaded tongue weight under 1,400lbs. Some report tongue weights as high as 1,900lbs.

Watch how you load this thing, go to the CAT scales, and get at least 16,000 gross / 1,600 tongue capability on your selection of hitch. (Currently, I’m stuck with a 14k Equalizer and probably will need to upgrade.). Dealer was useless on this topic.

Enjoy. It’s a very comfortable floorplan.
    Barry & Joanne & Maggie
    '22 Reflection 315rlts, dual A/C, ceramic tint, 370w solar, mattress upgrade
    '22 Ford F250 6.7 PSD, Lariat, FX4, HCTP, 10800# gvw, 2835# cargo, FS bags, integrated trailer tire P/T mon, Equalizer 14k

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. The dealer talked me out of it, so they put on a 14k. I think they are just looking at the raw numbers without weighing this thing. When you add the second AC and load the cargo bay, it is close to 1300 tongue weight (confirmed on CAT scale). It definitely is a front-heavy trailer, maybe because the fridge and bathroom are on the front half. I'm going to start moving things to the rear on travel days.

The good news is the upgrade only requires a new shank, a new ball, and a hitch head. You can leave the brackets and keep the spring bars. If I get the washer and dryer, I will be way over on the tongue.
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel
    2023 Grand Design 315rlts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffeo324 View Post
    Same here. The dealer talked me out of it, so they put on a 14k. I think they are just looking at the raw numbers without weighing this thing. When you add the second AC and load the cargo bay, it is close to 1300 tongue weight (confirmed on CAT scale). It definitely is a front-heavy trailer, maybe because the fridge and bathroom are on the front half. I'm going to start moving things to the rear on travel days.

The good news is the upgrade only requires a new shank, a new ball, and a hitch head. You can leave the brackets and keep the spring bars. If I get the washer and dryer, I will be way over on the tongue.
    If you have the equalizer hitch, the brackets are different too. Thicker. Can’t speak to other hitches.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We visited Blue Ox and had the tongue weighed. 1900 pounds! I'll be getting a set of 2000 pound bars soon. The factory didn't have any in stock, or I would have gotten them when we were there.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12