User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alaska Bound end of July

The trip is on. Plan to take I15 to the border and make our way up and do the Fairbanks, Danial, Anchorage loop with a side trip to Homer. I have the milepost guide and the Alaska Camping book. Are there any must see places to stay or visit? Any fishing recommendations (Halibut) Maybe a bit of crabbing. Any other worth while side trips? I have 6 weeks set aside so plan to go slow. A good hot springs might be nice too. We don't want to get stuck in any tourist trap. I can boon doc or get buy on basic utility's I'm trying to recreate a trip I took as a kid with my parents.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    K
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The trip is on. Plan to take I15 to the border and make our way up and do the Fairbanks, Danial, Anchorage loop with a side trip to Homer. I have the milepost guide and the Alaska Camping book. Are there any must see places to stay or visit? Any fishing recommendations (Halibut) Maybe a bit of crabbing. Any other worth while side trips? I have 6 weeks set aside so plan to go slow. A good hot springs might be nice too. We don't want to get stuck in any tourist trap. I can boon doc or get buy on basic utility's I'm trying to recreate a trip I took as a kid with my parents.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    K
    Sounds like a fun trip. I want to make the Alaska trip someday too. Send updates on your adventure!
    2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2019 Silverado 4X4 RST
    1966 Chevelle SS
    2012 Vans RV-10

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scenery down to Valdez is amazing. I wouldn't miss that on a trip to Alaska. We enjoyed British Columbia and Yukon more that Alaska...less people and much more remote. Try not to rush through them.

Have a fun trip and keep us posted.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to take this trip someday. I heard the Alaska highway was shut down by a dam braking in B.C. and washing out the road but just googled it and they have the road back open now. This would sure be a trip of a lifetime! Have a great time, stay save and enjoy your trip.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are just one our way home from spending 3 months traveling to, from and around Alaska. We spend 5 weeks in Alaska itself and it was a trip of a lifetime.

As someone else said, the Alaska highway is back open but only one lane through the affected area.

Anywhere on the Kenai peninsula is awesome. Homer is the Halibut capital of the world so if you want to catch fish, that is the place.

We stayed in a lot of places and some were better than others but overall, we didn't go or stay anywhere we regretted. Every place had something to offer.

We did not have any problems with the truck or trailer. No blowouts, no broken windshields etc.

We met lots of cool people who were doing the same thing. It made the adventure that much better.

Good luck! I can't imagine anyone regretting seeing some of the most fabulous scenery you will ever see.
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We arrived in Alaska May 29th and will leave the first of September. A visit to Talkeetna and K2 aviation flight around Denali is a must. Heavy smoke in the Fairbanks area at this time. On your way to Homer a side trip to Seward and a Kenai Fjords tour. As mentioned, Valdez is a must see. On your way home take The Top of the World Hwy to Dawson City, fall colors should be great. Ed
    2017 Solitude 321RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like hot springs. I highly recommend the Liard river provincial park in British Columbia. the springs are really nice. park has a campground, no electric or water at sites, really a nice place.
    Last edited by grandaddy; 07-12-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added location

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it in '19 from Upstate NY. Sweet Grass MT - Dawson Creek - Dawson City - TOW Highway (bring xtra underwear LOL) - Tok - Fairbanks - Denali - Seward - Valdez - Cassier Highway to Hyder - Jasper - Banff - Sweet Grass MT.

Except for Denali we had no reservations. Dry camped most of the way except for an occasional electric site. Tried to travel with a full water tank & empty black tank. We didn't have any trouble finding water or dump sites.

Being dry campers with a tag along was a distinct advantage. We used mostly provincial or local campgrounds at about $20 a night and usually stayed about 10 miles out of town. Being able to unhook and drive into town helped us avoid the gravel parking lot sites more common in the towns themselves. Most towns do have the somewhat familiar tourist trap feel that we're all used to but there's plenty to do/see aside from that.
    Scenery was awesome on the whole trip but you definitely don't want to miss the trip between Jasper and Banff. It brings scenery to whole nother level and IMO was the highlight of our trip scenery wise.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going to Alaska next year and any help would be appreciated.
    Just wondering if I need reservations All the way of is it possible to get camping spots without reservation??

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made reservations in February for Denali. 5 days at Teklanika and 4 days at Riley Creek. Other than that we had no reservations for our summer 2019 trip.
    We had no trouble finding a place to stay. In addition to boondocking, we made ample use of provincial and state or government campgrounds. One thing to keep in mind is if you show up at a park in the evening you may find that there may be no sites available.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast