User Tag List

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    So when greasing, is grease coming out the opposite end (a lot and quickly) of the zerk symptomatic of bushings that are shot? Using my deWalt, I was amazed at the amount that came out wheel side - except for one.
    Not in my experience. Even when I completed my rebuild of the suspension, I can still easily, especially with my battery gun (Dewalt also) get a lot of grease out quickly on both sides. I didn't actually notice much difference in greasing between good and bad.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Now you have me confused. So if the bushing goes into the spring fairly easily and the bolt goes into the bushing fairly easily, are you saying you still need to ream the spring?
    If the bushing goes in easily, by hand as you say, which it actually shouldn't, then reaming it isn't necessarily warranted, but it insures the bushing has no high spots. And FWIW, the bushing should need to be pressed in. Loose enough to fit by hand means it is loose enough that it could spin in the spring eye rather than around the retaining bolt.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    So when greasing, is grease coming out the opposite end (a lot and quickly) of the zerk symptomatic of bushings that are shot? Using my deWalt, I was amazed at the amount that came out wheel side - except for one.
    I certainly wouldn't say the bearings are shot if the grease comes out quickly. And it wouldn't matter which end it comes out of, the hole is in the center, so it's as likely to go one way as another, and possibly both. The issue arises when you consider the grease comes out but there is no way to make the grease go around the outside circumference of the bolt, it's just going to find the easiest way out. If the bushing rotated in a full circle, or even most of a circle, the grease would get fairly evenly distributed, but they don't, the describe a very small arc and the grease doesn't go much anywhere most of the time...except out the end.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading all the comments I'm not sure which way to go. I just received a set of Never Lube bushings, and I'm still not completely convinced they are the way to go. I'm not sure whether too keep them, send them back, or just order another set of bronze bushings and have both on hand in case I get in a bind.

Unlike other things on the trailer, it's not that easy to experiment with the different types, or frequently check them for wear.

Also, you always hear that positioning the grease hole at the 3 or 9 o'clock position solves the problem. I did that on all my wet bolts and I still have one in the equalizer that will not take grease, and one in a spring that is difficult.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go for the Never Lube bushings. We need more data, need more data, need more data.
    Howard and Peggy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    After reading all the comments I'm not sure which way to go. I just received a set of Never Lube bushings, and I'm still not completely convinced they are the way to go. I'm not sure whether too keep them, send them back, or just order another set of bronze bushings and have both on hand in case I get in a bind.

Unlike other things on the trailer, it's not that easy to experiment with the different types, or frequently check them for wear.

Also, you always hear that positioning the grease hole at the 3 or 9 o'clock position solves the problem. I did that on all my wet bolts and I still have one in the equalizer that will not take grease, and one in a spring that is difficult.
    Sadly, I'm not sure that either are great options, lots of failures reported with both. I think we just have to view these as a wear part and something that need attention on a regular basis. Which is pretty awful because it's a bear to change them.

Take the weight off the wheels. I've never had a problem getting grease in, even with a bushing that was blown apart, with the weight off the wheels. Granted, I do have a serious grease gun (10,000 PSI), but I've never had one not take grease.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If the bushing goes in easily, by hand as you say, which it actually shouldn't, then reaming it isn't necessarily warranted, but it insures the bushing has no high spots. And FWIW, the bushing should need to be pressed in. Loose enough to fit by hand means it is loose enough that it could spin in the spring eye rather than around the retaining bolt.
    I'll have to see how this next one goes. Perhaps I'm remembering things as being easier than they were, but I know I pushed a couple in without other tools and the rest were tapped in with a hammer and not much force. I was surprised that it was so much easier than I expected. I'm guessing these Never Fail bushings should go in pretty easy...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I say go for the Never Lube bushings. We need more data, need more data, need more data.
    My plan is to install the Never Fails in the next couple of months, travel through CO this summer, and down to FL and back next winter. The following spring before we head to AK, I'll pull things apart and see how they held up. With luck, I'll just slip it all back together. Otherwise, I guess it's back to wet bolts...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post

Take the weight off the wheels. I've never had a problem getting grease in, even with a bushing that was blown apart, with the weight off the wheels. Granted, I do have a serious grease gun (10,000 PSI), but I've never had one not take grease.
    I tried weight off the wheels with my 10,000psi gun. Didn't work.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast