User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions wanted: helper springs or shock absorbers

For our TT I could install Sumo Springs for about $500 or a complete set of Roadmaster shock absorbers for $560 including all mounting hardware. In either case, I would do the work myself so no labor costs. My goal is to dampen the bouncing and roll, and primarily help minimize stress on the leaf springs when we take our future trips to CO, AK, NS, etc. The issues are not excessive at this point but as we have a rear kitchen model and find drawers open and cushions on the floor upon arrival, I like the idea of minimizing vibration and bouncing as much as possible.

Based on my research, it seems both solutions should help. The one advantage of shock absorbers is that it would help dampen the bounce "upward" motion as well as the downward motion that Sumo Springs would dampen. It seems logical. The downside of shocks is the effort to install is greater than Sumo's, but I'm not concerned about that. But as there seem to be very few smaller TT's (or TT's in general) that have shock absorbers installed, there isn't a whole lot of real world experience to draw from that I've found so far.

eTrailer has the Roadmaster shock absorber kits available for my size/weight trailer. I wondered if there is anyone out there that can attest to whether one system is going to be better than the other. As a side note, I am also currently running the stock leaf spring equalizers and shackles, which I do plan to upgrade before the AK trip. I understand that will provide additional dampening benefits too.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fellow 22MLE owner, I’ll be interested to see what you decide and your opinion on how well the upgrade works.
    On our previous fifth wheel, I had installed the MorRyde equalizer and wet bolt kit. That’s definitely a worthwhile investment. One of which I’ll be doing to this one as well in due time.
    I too have looked at the Sumo springs but they seem very pricey for what they are. I think the shocks would be a better alternative, as like you say, the shocks help with both up and down bouncing.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    As a fellow 22MLE owner, I’ll be interested to see what you decide and your opinion on how well the upgrade works.
    On our previous fifth wheel, I had installed the MorRyde equalizer and wet bolt kit. That’s definitely a worthwhile investment. One of which I’ll be doing to this one as well in due time.
    I too have looked at the Sumo springs but they seem very pricey for what they are. I think the shocks would be a better alternative, as like you say, the shocks help with both up and down bouncing.
    Thanks for the response. Can you think of any reason not to go with shocks? I've never seen them on a TT our size so it makes me wonder. Is it just a matter of being overkill? I'm fine with that if that's all it is.

I'm wondering if the shocks would help as much or more than Sumo springs when it comes to alleviating stress on leaf springs when we go to AK? Or, would Sumo's do better in that regard?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having used neither, I can't offer an opinion. However, having been RV'ing for 30+ years, anything that takes some of the load off the leaf springs has got to be an improvement. RV suspensions are built to be just adequate with (imo)little wiggle room. I had to replace a set of leaf's on our fifth wheel on the kitchen slideout side because the OE springs were not heavy enough for the weight on that side of the RV. I might call Roadmaster and get their opinion on the use of their shocks on the 22MLE.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth, I ended up going with the Sumo's for the ease of install. Looking at the Roadmaster shocks and reading a few reviews they seem to do a great job but some people with smaller trailers said they had a hard time bolting the plate the shocks attach to, to the frame, just not as much room. I didn't want to have issues down the road, so went with Sumo's & have noticed the difference.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 2017 reflection 303rls and when I bring it home on the 28th it's going straight to the shop for the Roadmaster slipper spring system and the shocks. Had it on my travel trailer and I loved it. Handling was great and very few things were out of place once at our destination. Pricey but well worth it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very interested in this discussion because I feel the suspension on my TT could be better. Hard to go to Youtube and get an honest opinion since most are sent the items to test. They give bad reviews other manufacturers may not send free stuff.

The Sumo spring sounds way to easy to install to be good but of course you didn't get paid to do it. Just wanted to know if others have done the upgrade.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suspension on travel trailers is where they put the least amount of money going to the sumo Springs and adding shocks to it will help quite a bit I went with the roadmasters slipper Springs because the Springs on the 5th wheel we bought look flat so I went with the Roadmaster system. The system makes the axels totally independent of each other.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the feedback here and additional research, I had decided I would like independent suspension such as the Roadmaster slipper spring system and shock absorbers. Unfortunately, while our TT does have 3" axles, they are rated at 3,500#. I contacted eTrailer and it was suggested that because the slipper system includes 5,000# springs it might cause too harsh of a ride for my particular model/weight TT. They suggested instead to just install shock absorbers.

So, I have ordered the Comfort Ride shock absorber kit, Road Armor equalizers, and upgraded wet bolts and shackles. I expect this should be a vast improvement over the stock system, especially for our AK trip.
    Chad

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Based on the feedback here and additional research, I had decided I would like independent suspension such as the Roadmaster slipper spring system and shock absorbers. Unfortunately, while our TT does have 3" axles, they are rated at 3,500#. I contacted eTrailer and it was suggested that because the slipper system includes 5,000# springs it might cause too harsh of a ride for my particular model/weight TT. They suggested instead to just install shock absorbers.

So, I have ordered the Comfort Ride shock absorber kit, Road Armor equalizers, and upgraded wet bolts and shackles. I expect this should be a vast improvement over the stock system, especially for our AK trip.
    Sounds good, give us an update once you have them installed and a trip or two.

I can say that upgrading ours with what’s in my signature has made a nice improvement over pot holes and bumps. Our previous two trailers had independent suspension which was nice.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid