User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One month in - my take on quality and customer service

See a lot of threads on quality and service, wanted to share my perspective as new to the RV life.

We picked up our 2022 378MBS-R on June 15th. Our situation was difficult because we were relocating from Germany and moving straight into the RV full-time. We did months of research and finally settled on this brand and model. My expectations industry wide for manufacturing were low. My hope was that nothing mechanically major would be wrong and that I could get good manufacturer support if needed. In 20 years we have lived many places, including off-grid, so I am comfortable doing almost anything myself. We basically ordered it fully loaded (solar, paint, generator, third AC, toppers, etc), both because of the range of full-time camping we expect to do and in the hope the extra attention would result in better overall quality.

Ended up going to Minneapolis to pickup the RV. Booked 10 days at the closest campground and spent that time carefully going through the RV. Checked anything I could get to without destroying, a super thorough inspection with the goal of fixing assembly issues early and good situational awareness of all the systems. Although the list of things I was disappointed with was long, most of it wasn't major. I would group the minor things into lack of care and early settling. Lack of care was items like questionable WAGO crimps, wires cut too short and just extended, hidden nests where a few extra seconds would have made it neat and clean, screws that missed so just added more, construction debris, lazy finishing touches on trim, hand tight fittings that should be snugger, missing items like magnet to keep door open, wrong items noted on build sheet, etc. Early settling was screws coming out, compartment doors too loose, skirt missing screws, stiction popping of leveling system (followed Lippert's instructions and fixed with anti-stiction fluid).

Bigger issues I would put into two categories, dealer and GD. For dealer the big issues were crushed crimp on hydraulic brake controller wiring harness (my bet is was crushed when installing the batteries - brakes are important to me lol), one tire at 80 PSI (looked visually low at the dealer, they said they check as part of PDI and just siting on an angel, luckily campground was close and tire has been fine since, my bet is when installing the "complimentary" Tire Linc it wasn't snug). For GD bigger issue one was the receiving male MC4 on roof cap (made by Jaboni) was crimped short, so factory solar never worked. Two was our heat pump unit was installed with the wrong ceiling unit, different control box so it doesn't have the circuit to control the reversing valve. Third is debris under the roof TPO, nothing to do about this but I took pictures and noted to dealer for future if it causes an issue.

Overall I was pleased with the quality. It was above what I was expecting going into this. In particular where it matters such as sealing, torque on important parts (I checked it all, even leveling jacks), quality of generator install. Also interior like all cabinets, bathroom quality, closets, etc. Paint is great. My background has involved exposure to the systems of everything from warships to farming irrigation. Have had homes built, and built my own. For the price point and amount of systems in this RV I feel (in my case and perspective) GD is doing a good balancing act.

Now on to customer service. So far I only contacted customer service once regarding the wrong heat pump ceiling unit. I talked to a rep named Kyle and it only took me a couple minutes to explain and have a new control box on the way to me. A++, great fast service. Dealer felt rushed and can already tell after sales service would be a pain, but not as big of a deal for me, I only went through them because I had to go through someone to order and GD recommended them.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R / 2021 Ford F-350 DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like a very handy fellow. That will come in handy as you travel. Good luck.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
    See a lot of threads on quality and service, wanted to share my perspective as new to the RV life.

We picked up our 2022 378MBS-R on June 15th. Our situation was difficult because we were relocating from Germany and moving straight into the RV full-time. We did months of research and finally settled on this brand and model. My expectations industry wide for manufacturing were low. My hope was that nothing mechanically major would be wrong and that I could get good manufacturer support if needed. In 20 years we have lived many places, including off-grid, so I am comfortable doing almost anything myself. We basically ordered it fully loaded (solar, paint, generator, third AC, toppers, etc), both because of the range of full-time camping we expect to do and in the hope the extra attention would result in better overall quality.

Ended up going to Minneapolis to pickup the RV. Booked 10 days at the closest campground and spent that time carefully going through the RV. Checked anything I could get to without destroying, a super thorough inspection with the goal of fixing assembly issues early and good situational awareness of all the systems. Although the list of things I was disappointed with was long, most of it wasn't major. I would group the minor things into lack of care and early settling. Lack of care was items like questionable WAGO crimps, wires cut too short and just extended, hidden nests where a few extra seconds would have made it neat and clean, screws that missed so just added more, construction debris, lazy finishing touches on trim, hand tight fittings that should be snugger, missing items like magnet to keep door open, wrong items noted on build sheet, etc. Early settling was screws coming out, compartment doors too loose, skirt missing screws, stiction popping of leveling system (followed Lippert's instructions and fixed with anti-stiction fluid).

Bigger issues I would put into two categories, dealer and GD. For dealer the big issues were crushed crimp on hydraulic brake controller wiring harness (my bet is was crushed when installing the batteries - brakes are important to me lol), one tire at 80 PSI (looked visually low at the dealer, they said they check as part of PDI and just siting on an angel, luckily campground was close and tire has been fine since, my bet is when installing the "complimentary" Tire Linc it wasn't snug). For GD bigger issue one was the receiving male MC4 on roof cap (made by Jaboni) was crimped short, so factory solar never worked. Two was our heat pump unit was installed with the wrong ceiling unit, different control box so it doesn't have the circuit to control the reversing valve. Third is debris under the roof TPO, nothing to do about this but I took pictures and noted to dealer for future if it causes an issue.

Overall I was pleased with the quality. It was above what I was expecting going into this. In particular where it matters such as sealing, torque on important parts (I checked it all, even leveling jacks), quality of generator install. Also interior like all cabinets, bathroom quality, closets, etc. Paint is great. My background has involved exposure to the systems of everything from warships to farming irrigation. Have had homes built, and built my own. For the price point and amount of systems in this RV I feel (in my case and perspective) GD is doing a good balancing act.

Now on to customer service. So far I only contacted customer service once regarding the wrong heat pump ceiling unit. I talked to a rep named Kyle and it only took me a couple minutes to explain and have a new control box on the way to me. A++, great fast service. Dealer felt rushed and can already tell after sales service would be a pain, but not as big of a deal for me, I only went through them because I had to go through someone to order and GD recommended them.
    Thanks @JustinK for such a comprehensive post, may help others down the line.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerning Tire Pressure

Welcome to the Forum and the GD RV lifestyle. Thank you for your informative post. I did however note one item that I would be very concerned about. You stated that "one tire at 80 PSI (looked visually low at the dealer, they said they check as part of PDI and just siting on an angel, luckily campground was close and tire has been fine since, my bet is when installing the "complimentary" Tire Linc it wasn't snug)"
    That is a very low tire pressure for your RV. If you look at the DOT placard on the front of the RV on the drivers side, I believe you will find that the tire pressure should be 125 PSI. Our new RV has the same GVWR and tires as yours and ours require 125 PSI. I know this very well as the GD dealer we picked ours up from said the same thing, "we check that on PDI". However, on retracting the hydraulic jacks the front drivers side tire was flat. So much for the dealers PDI. Dealers, in my mind, are simply a necessary evil.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said, nice write up. This should be very valuable to many newer rvers.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the adventures.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JustinK, I am looking at the very same model and appreciate your post. Now that's its been a few months how are you liking the 378MBS-R? Anything you wish you would of ordered or not ordered? I am just trying to make sure when I do pull the trigger to buy I make the best decision.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...Relocating from Germany to an RV. Very adventurous!
    Interestingly we have met a few couples from Germany while RVing. They all had rentals at the time. I remembered one fellow from Stuttgart who we met in Jasper National park. He said he had two weeks to drive from Toronto to Victoria and back. Made me think that Germany is a big country in the European perspective, but pretty tiny compared to Canada. And I don't think that fellow understood the geographical size of N.A.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Wow...Relocating from Germany to an RV. Very adventurous!
    Interestingly we have met a few couples from Germany while RVing. They all had rentals at the time. I remembered one fellow from Stuttgart who we met in Jasper National park. He said he had two weeks to drive from Toronto to Victoria and back. Made me think that Germany is a big country in the European perspective, but pretty tiny compared to Canada. And I don't think that fellow understood the geographical size of N.A.
    I wonder if they have many RVers over there, and what kind of quality and service folks get with European manufacturers? As for our GD 5er quality, its been what I would have expected, not to bad for a extra long shed on wheels.

After living in Europe, mostly in Germany, for over 14 yrs, Germany is tiny and easier traveled than most of the US and Canada. But, Germany does IMO have a ton more history, historical sites and cities to visit. That along with mass transportation in, around, and to other cities made it easier to travel throughout the country without a car. Most Germans that I knew who did own cars still used mass transportation or rode bicycles to do some activities.

Maybe after full-timing our RV here in the US for awhile, the DW and I would like to go back and do some over there.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good writeup. Your experience strongly matches my own with my 349M. When new, I found a lot of the small-ish issues that were pretty easy to fix, nothing earth shattering.

One other thing that continues to bother me is the rats-nest of wiring that's hidden behind the storage panels. Someday I'll go after tidying that up, but it seems there could be a cleaner way to build it at the factory.

After owning & using mine for almost 2 years, I think you hit the nail on the head - GD does a good job of balancing the build quality with the pricepoint.

You're also spot on about avoiding the dealership's service department and doing fixes & improvements yourself with consultation from GD directly when needed. That method has worked well for me.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JustinK, appreciate the detailed post.
    We purchased a 2022 378MBS-R in October and have been in it full time since Nov 1. We also have had a few minor issues (Thetford toilet leaking, plastic window clips breaking, etc) but overall no serious issues. We chose the 378 because of the extra room the mid-bunk offers....traveling with house cats that room gets litter pan and cat food out of the living room! Compensates for the smaller living area and TV.
    Finally got around to opening up the basement area yesterday and was pleasantly surprised...much neater and cleaner than I expected. Yeah a few wires need cleaned up, but for the most part not bad. No crimped heat ducting and hardly any sawdust; someone actually ran a vacuum! Lots of unused space too....if/when I get around to re-modeling the outdoor kitchen area I may re-configure that back wall to give more basement storage.
    I was a bit leery of buying a rig built in May of 2022 just because of all the supply chain issues going on then and stories of poor quality control, new employees, etc but I really don't see evidence of shoddy workmanship.
    Hope I can still say that in 2 years!
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast