User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! Newbie on the loose!

I’m SO glad I found this forum; thank you for letting me join. I’ve been reading and reading . . . learning SO much! Nevertheless, I do have some questions that I’ve yet to find answers to. Since so many of you seem to be so willing to answer ignorant newbie questions, I thought I’d reach out and give you a few more opportunities to educate me.

First, my tow vehicle (I know, it’ not perfect, but it’s what I’ve got):
    - 2019 Ford F150 Lariat; 4x4 with 5.5’ bed; FX4 and Max Tow packages; class IV hitch. (Planning on getting E rated tires soon too.) This all equates to a tow vehicle that is rated at 10,700 lbs. max, with up to 2,000 lbs. tongue weight.

Second, the trailer I’m planning to buy:
    - 2023 Grand Designs, Imagine 2670MK; GVWR 8,495 lbs., expected tongue weight of about 1,000-1,200 lbs. It’s just the wife and me now, but we may have the opportunity to drag along a grandkid or two on some occasions. I’m ALMOST ready to pull the trigger and buy, but, I have a few questions first.

My initial list of questions (y’all ready for this?):

- What is the best anti-sway weight distribution hitch for this combination? No, I’m NOT trying to start a fight, but I’d rather spend a little more and do it right the first time. The dealer sells (and therefore recommends) Blue Ox. Opinions?
    - How do you anchor things inside the trailer when on the move? I assume just putting most things in drawers will do, but what about chairs, trash cans, coffee makers, etc.
    - I want the free-standing table, not the big boxy booth dinette. Why am I the only one to want this configuration? I can find very few on any lots. I just want to know why these are not more popular. (I can do without the little extra storage under the booth – it’s too far towards the back anyway – and if we ever need the extra sleeping space for the grandkids . . . I’ll just slide the furniture over and put them on an air mattress on the floor.) Am I missing some hidden value in the booth dinette? And, not that it will change my wants, but does anybody know which weighs more / less?
    - Even though it’s a fast-recovery water heater . . . it will not suffice. Our first upgrade will be swapping it out for an on-demand water heater. Anybody out there have any experience with on-demand heaters?
    - It looks like the bath and bedroom are the only areas available when the slides are in; not even enough room to sneak in to grab something. I’ll have to open the starboard slide to get to refrigerator; and I’ll have to open the port slide if I want to sit down. Is this right? (I figure for small snacks I’ll just keep the outside fridge stocked.)
    - Can the outside griddle / stovetop stay connected to the quick connect gas line, or will it have to be connected and disconnected each time it’s used?
    - I want to be able to boondock without concerns. So, I’m thinking I’ll put two additional LPG bottles in the front storage area and have them ready to swap-out if/when the others run dry. Thoughts?
    - Can the AC be run off battery power, or is shore power / generator required?
    - Along those lines, I’m also thinking of adding an additional battery or two. I need to be able to run the AC all night long. I have a generator for re-charging / boondocking that will be sitting in the back of the pickup, but it’s WAY too loud to run all night. (it’s a 13,000-watt tri-fuel behemoth!) Thoughts and suggestions?
    - If necessary, can the AC be run while driving down the road? (I know this can be done in the Class A RVs, but they have their own on-board generators.

Well, that’s my initial list of questions. Let me thank you now for all the great information I’m sure will be forthcoming. THANKS!
    Last edited by DocStacy; 07-15-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! Newbie on the loose!

Quote Originally Posted by DocStacy View Post
    I’m SO glad I found this forum; thank you for letting me join. I’ve been reading and reading . . . learning SO much! Nevertheless, I do have some questions that I’ve yet to find answers to. Since so many of you seem to be so willing to answer ignorant newbie questions, I thought I’d reach out and give you a few more opportunities to educate me.

First, my tow vehicle (I know, it’ not perfect, but it’s what I’ve got):
    - 2019 Ford F150 Lariat; 4x4 with 5.5’ bed; FX4 and Max Tow packages; class IV hitch. (Planning on getting E rated tires soon too.) This all equates to a tow vehicle that is rated at 10,700 lbs. max, with up to 2,000 lbs. tongue weight.

Second, the trailer I’m planning to buy:
    - 2023 Grand Designs, Imagine 2670MK; GVWR 8,495 lbs., expected tongue weight of about 1,000-1,200 lbs. It’s just the wife and I now, but we may have the opportunity to drag along a grandkid or two on some occasions. I’m ALMOST ready to pull the trigger and buy, but, I have a few questions first.

My initial list of questions (y’all ready for this?):

- What is the best anti-sway weight distribution hitch for this combination? No, I’m NOT trying to start a fight, but I’d rather spend a little more and do it right the first time. The dealer sells (and therefore recommends) Blue Ox. Opinions
    - How do you anchor things inside the trailer when on the move? I assume just putting most things in drawers will do, but what about chairs, trash cans, coffee makers, etc.
    - I want the free-standing table, not the big boxy booth dinette. Why am I the only one to want this configuration? I can find very few on any lots. I just want to know why these are not more popular. (I can do without the little extra storage under the booth – it’s too far towards the back anyway – and if we ever need the extra sleeping space for the grandkids . . . I’ll just slide the furniture over and put them on an air mattress on the floor.) Am I missing some hidden value in the booth dinette? And, not that it will change my wants, but does anybody know which weighs more / less?
    - Even though it’s a fast-recovery water heater . . . it will not suffice. Our first upgrade will be swapping it out for an on-demand water heater. Anybody out there have any experience with on-demand heaters?
    - It looks like the bath and bedroom are the only areas available when the slides are in; not even enough room to sneak in to grab something. I’ll have to open the starboard slide to get to refrigerator; and I’ll have to open the port slide if I want to sit down. Is this right? (I figure for small snacks I’ll just keep the outside fridge stocked.)
    - Can the outside griddle / stovetop stay connected to the quick connect gas line, or will it have to be connected and disconnected each time it’s used?
    - I want to be able to boondock without concerns. So, I’m thinking I’ll put two additional LPG bottles in the front storage area and have them ready to swap-out if/when the others run dry. Thoughts?
    - Along those lines, I’m also thinking of adding an additional battery or two. I need to be able to run the AC all night long. I have a generator for re-charging / boondocking that will be sitting in the back of the pickup, but it’s WAY too loud to run all night. (it’s a 13,000-watt tri-fuel behemoth!) Thoughts and suggestions?
    - If necessary, can the AC be run while driving down the road? (I know this can be done in the Class A RVs, but they have their own on-board generators.

Well, that’s my initial list of questions. Let me thank you now for all the great information I’m sure with be forthcoming. THANKS!
    Welcome
    Air only works on shore power or gen. Too run off battery will need a HUGE-battery bank which will be expensive and heavy
    The griddle if you want to close the outside kitchen will need to be unhooked
    You will never run out of hot water with the gas /electric. Imo the on demand are crap
    But unfortunately I can’t advise the trailer even with a 3000 dollar pro pride hitch because it is too big plus if boondocking it is never going to work
    Ymmv but I wouldn’t hook onto it
    Rear kitchen trailers are not an easy tow
    HD territory

Goodluck
    Last edited by NB Canada; 07-15-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw what does the numbers say on the drivers door for allowable payload?
    How much does that generator weigh?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the numbers aren't very pretty: If keeping to the letter of the law . . . 1,672 max cargo, minus 1,100 in TW and 200 lbs. for generator leaves only 372 lbs. for my wife, myself, and a few snacks. (Good thing she's skinny!)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the numbers aren't very pretty: If keeping to the letter of the law . . . 1,672 max cargo, minus 1,100 in TW and 200 lbs. for generator leaves only 372 lbs. for my wife, myself, and a few snacks. (Good thing she's skinny!)
    And I can almost guarantee that 1672 is higher than actual
    Take the genny and the wife and anything else that will be in the truck and run it onto a Cat scale
    They are everywhere and it is cheap
    In 5 minutes you will find the exact weight
    Like I said though I would never consider that trailer without an HD truck especially if boondocking
    Weekend warrior to the nearby campground maybe but not for what you want
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put things away like the coffee maker, trash can, etc. We bunny out chairs to the floor using the original clips in the floor GD installed. For permanent, light weight things you might want to check out 'museum putty'.

I would guess the popular thing is the booth, hence it is why GD installs them. Sometime I think I would prefer the dinner over the table. I think the cushioning is better; and you do get more storage which, while you may thing you don't want it, you will find it handy.

I have no personal experience using an on-demand. But I've been with a lot of folks on a lot of trips and the only ones having hot water issues are always the ones with on-demand heaters. I'd suggest learning to live with the normal water heater.

It's a choice one makes when selecting a floor plan. There are always trade offs. We carry our lunch and a small cooler in the truck. But we are only two (no kids). Sounds like a good plan to use the outside frig. Not sure why you would want to sit down in the RV while traveling - again, we just eat/snack in the truck or at a picnic table at a rest stop or somewhere along the way.

gosh! - how much propane do you need? I've boondocks for just over a week and never had an issue with propane (even in smaller rigs).

I think this got answered. Generator required (usually over 2200 KW to run and AC and maybe a small appliance)

Scrape that "..way too loud..." generator. You family will like you for it and so will anyone within hearing distance. If you to run the AC overnight then you need a generator - again, not one that keeps the whole campground/boondock area awake.

Not without a generator.
    Hopefully my answers are helpful. Welcome to the forum and feel free to reach out for help anytime.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @DocStacy, hope you enjoy whichever coach you choose. Some may say otherwise, but to me, it makes sense to choose the trailer that's best for you and your family, and then find the right truck to tow it. If needed you could trade in the F150 for a TV that can handle the 2670MK if that's the best rig for you.

As far as some of your other questions go, we have the on-demand water heater, and while it does have some drawbacks (propane only), it sure is nice to never run out of hot water. For boondocking, I'd be looking at a robust battery bank, the 100 Ah lead-acid battery that generally comes stock won't last very long when you're off-grid. Think 200 Ah or more of LiFePo4 batteries. If you want to run the AC, think much more, AC eats a lot of battery. The 2670MK comes with some solar for recharging, more would be better.

PS, we wished we could have had the table instead of the dinette.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have misused the term "boondocking." What is it called when you want to park in front of your kid's house and stay in the trailer without any hookups?
    Last edited by DocStacy; 07-15-2022 at 08:08 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soundsailor: Thanks for the comments / advice. Trading up on the TV is a possibility, "down the road" (pun intended), but I want to give this a go first. The numbers are close, so I'll give it a try and see how well it works.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have misused the term "boondocking." What is it called when you want to park in front of your kid's house and stay in the trailer without any hookups?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast