Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a long strange trip it's been...

Quote Originally Posted by William1449 View Post
    Hi Bluestreak,
    Curious what you’re using as a tow vehicle for your 2970RL?
    Great Question!. We brought the rig home 3 hours from the dealer with our 1999 Ford E350 Chateau. The van pulled the 2970rl with a new Equalizer hitch, first time we've used that brand and had no problems. I put Airsprings in the rear many years ago and so never have a problem with sag. FYI, this was the nicest factory van you could get at the time and we bought ours used from Enterprise Car Rental in 2002 with 34,000 miles on it. The Van came with the V10 and a 4.11 differential, perfect for towing and rated for 10,000 pounds. In 20 years, we've pulled 5 travel trailers over 100,000 miles and have had a great time. But. The van is old, and even if we repainted and rebuilt and refinished, we'd have a nicely re-done 23 year old van.

So, we decided to buy a truck. We've never owned a truck before but thought it was the right choice, since we can't buy a new van. A newish truck, we reasoned, could have all the safety features modern electronics provide along with what we hoped would be a smoother ride. Since we had had a good experience with Fords, we looked at Ford Trucks. Since we don't tow all the time, we looked at the F150. We figured out what the right specs should be and went searching and found a 2020 F150 Lariat short bed super crew with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine, the Max Tow package, the necessary 20' wheels and a slew of safety and convenience features. All in a color that we liked that was not the too-ubiquitous black, at least here in Missouri.

I set the truck and hitch up yesterday and went for a ride. It's a different experience than the van. Quieter, smoother and just different. I need to tune the hitch a bit for more weight transfer to the truck and to correct a bit of nose down attitude in the trailer. I felt a littler more effected by side winds than I am used to and we'll see if the adjustments help with that. The van is a towing machine and towing our last rig, a Rockwood with a similar floorplan, similar length, 3 slides and weighing #800 more using a round bar trunnion mount conventional WD hitch, I never used that ridiculous friction-based "anti-sway" accessory they sell you. Based on that experience, I am curious to see what I can get out of this set-up.

Just for reference, I have towed with the same Van another similar trailer only with a Hensley hitch. That was a transformative experience, with no sway at all, ever, and if the Equalizer does not work out, I'll mount the Hensley and be done with it.

So, bottom line, we moved to a "half-ton" F150 pickup rated for 12,400 from an E350 van rated for 10,000 and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for asking!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bluestreak, keep on truckin'
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ask the dealer for the build sheet for the unit. It shows the MSRP of that unit, the way they ordered it in. Some put it right on their website (such as LaMesa). Others you have to ask for it. We haven't been denied one yet, also helps so you can compare apples to apples when getting quotes from multiple dealers.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That was an excellent reply. Thank you for all the info. We haven’t bought a trailer yet but I really like the layout and amenities of the 2970RL. I special ordered a 2022 GMC Yukon Denali with all the towing options including adaptive air suspension, etc., etc. it has the 6.2 L , 420 HP engine and 4WD as well. I’m concerned the 2970RL might be just a little too much for it. I’m retired and the wife will retire soon. We live in New Hampshire and our daughters live in Arizona. The plan will be to visit them often but see the US going and returning. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That was an excellent reply. Thank you for all the info. We haven’t bought a trailer yet but I really like the layout and amenities of the 2970RL. I special ordered a 2022 GMC Yukon Denali with all the towing options including adaptive air suspension, etc., etc. it has the 6.2 L , 420 HP engine and 4WD as well. I’m concerned the 2970RL might be just a little too much for it. I’m retired and the wife will retire soon. We live in New Hampshire and our daughters live in Arizona. The plan will be to visit them often but see the US going and returning. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    You're talking a 9,000 lb. unit dry which is pushing it because the Yukons are very heavy vehicles to start with. You have a powerplant capable of handling the weight, however.

Try it out and see how the trailer tows. If you tow long distances or into the mountains, a Hensley or comparable hitch might be warranted. Unfortunately no one makes a large SUV with 3/4 ton suspension any longer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yukon will pull it (as in be able to move it without issue including up/down hills), but you'll DEFINITELY want a ProPride hitch if you're going to tow a trailer that long with a wheelbase that short. Any reason you're going for the SUV over a quad cab pickup?

I have a 143.5" wheelbase and I wouldn't want anything shorter than that, and my trailer is nearly 5' shorter than the one you're looking at. 2023 Yukon has 121" wheelbase. FWIW
    Last edited by uwskier; 09-21-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 2970RL in Colorado Springs and brought it south through Raton Pass (6% grade) with our 2022 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Platinum without any problems.
    I was worried about how it would do, and other than me being horribly nervous, was very happy.
    I ended up averaging about 13 MPG for the trip but kept it between 55-63 MPH. That is better MPG than my 2010 Tundra would get just driving.
    Anyway, I found a deal online in Louisiana for a 2022, called the dealer in Springs and they matched the price but on a 2023 (because the guy misunderstood me). I guess that means they still had some room to come down, but we think we got a great deal for a layout we love.
    Jerome and Cindy
    Fall and Winter RVers (just starting 2022)
    2023 Imagine 2970RL
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by QuihiTx View Post
    We bought our 2970RL in Colorado Springs and brought it south through Raton Pass (6% grade) with our 2022 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Platinum without any problems.
    I was worried about how it would do, and other than me being horribly nervous, was very happy.
    I ended up averaging about 13 MPG for the trip but kept it between 55-63 MPH. That is better MPG than my 2010 Tundra would get just driving.
    Anyway, I found a deal online in Louisiana for a 2022, called the dealer in Springs and they matched the price but on a 2023 (because the guy misunderstood me). I guess that means they still had some room to come down, but we think we got a great deal for a layout we love.
    I live just a bit North of Colorado Springs and am currently in the market for a Grand Design 2970 RL. If you don't mind. Which dealer did you purchase from and what was the sale price?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rottekatz View Post
    I live just a bit North of Colorado Springs and am currently in the market for a Grand Design 2970 RL. If you don't mind. Which dealer did you purchase from and what was the sale price?
    We got it from Cousin’s. $55,700 but that was with a few extras.
    We have had it for a year and I love it. My wife does not. LOL Her main complaint is simply being on the road too much. She wants a yard the dog can run in. No complaints with the trailer.
    We have a water softener, a heated water hose, and a backup/rear camera. I feel all are must haves, along with basics for leveling, sewage, etc. Also a tv in bedroom, but if we stayed south in the summer we would have to get a second roof unit. Probably would go with a heat pump.
    Jerome and Cindy
    Fall and Winter RVers (just starting 2022)
    2023 Imagine 2970RL
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuihiTx View Post
    We got it from Cousin’s. $55,700 but that was with a few extras.
    We have had it for a year and I love it. My wife does not. LOL Her main complaint is simply being on the road too much. She wants a yard the dog can run in. No complaints with the trailer.
    We have a water softener, a heated water hose, and a backup/rear camera. I feel all are must haves, along with basics for leveling, sewage, etc. Also a tv in bedroom, but if we stayed south in the summer we would have to get a second roof unit. Probably would go with a heat pump.
    Thank you for the swift reply. I'm considering Cousins. We just got back from California and it was over 100 in Arizona, so I will definitely opt for the 2d AC. I put the back up camera on the RV that we currently have and haven't used it after the first year so will remove it and sell.
    Last edited by rottekatz; 08-19-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast