User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulled the Trigger - Do I Need 2 Batteries

We made the final decision to purchase a 2022 2600RB. Closed the deal at ~$14k under MSRP. Our dealer had two remaining of the version we wanted and were not going to get any more of the 2022ym in. I noticed it comes with a single battery but room for two. Since we will not be dry camping, I'm thinking that should work out. It does have a 185 watt solar panel. Are there aany suggestions as to a need for a 2nd battery?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    We made the final decision to purchase a 2022 2600RB. Closed the deal at ~$14k under MSRP. Our dealer had two remaining of the version we wanted and were not going to get any more of the 2022ym in. I noticed it comes with a single battery but room for two. Since we will not be dry camping, I'm thinking that should work out. It does have a 185 watt solar panel. Are there aany suggestions as to a need for a 2nd battery?
    Good luck with the new TT, hope it all goes smoothly for you. You may be fine with the stock battery if you never camp off-grid. Be aware that a 12-volt refrigerator can draw a lot if you're running it while traveling.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    short answer: No.

Longer answer: The OEM battery is probably 75 amp hours or less (my original was 50). It will actually be sufficient for an overnight in a Walmart lot or travel stop. Unless its cold and the heater runs a lot. A 100 Ah battery will give you enough to comfortably go a night. Youi can get one at Walmart for a hundred bucks or so. If you find you are going a couple of days and nights, think about a LiFePo (Lithium) battery. Its cheaper in the long run, but initial cost will be a grand all said and done.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve and Sheryl. Our guy at the dealer mentioned the Lithium and I've read about them for a year or so. Do you know if the converter will indeed charge a Lithium? The one in our Montana would not. A single Lithium might be a good upgrade if the converter will, as they are less weight and can be drawn down farther.

Stephen & Judy, I had not even considered the 12vdc reefer. My suspicion is that the truck charging system would keep the single el cheapo battery up during a half day travel. Not sure though.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve and Sheryl. Our guy at the dealer mentioned the Lithium and I've read about them for a year or so. Do you know if the converter will indeed charge a Lithium? The one in our Montana would not. A single Lithium might be a good upgrade if the converter will, as they are less weight and can be drawn down farther.

Stephen & Judy, I had not even considered the 12vdc reefer. My suspicion is that the truck charging system would keep the single el cheapo battery up during a half day travel. Not sure though.
    @masterdrago -

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Now - GD has recently started installing lithium-compatible converter/chargers in some units/lines, but I'm not sure about the Imagines. You should have received a Serial Number Data Sheet in the paperwork packet that came with your RV. It will list the brand and model number of the converter/charger in your unit. There should also be a manual for it in the packet which will tell you. If it's not lithium-compatible then, yes, you would need to switch it out (many of us have, but it's a bit different with the integrated units in the Imagines). A big difference between lead-acid and LiFePO4 batteries is that lead-acid batteries can only be drawn down so far before they are toast; nearly all of the capacity of a LiFePO4 battery is usable.

Now that you've gotten your RV, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I've got nowhere near that arena yet. Going to do the PDI tomorrow and then sign papers. We will sit it at the dealers campsite for a couple days. On Wednesday, I expect to borrow a neighbors F250 to tow it the 4 miles to our covered rv pad with power and water hookup. I'll take a look for those papers in the packet.

I know someone will ask me why not my truck. We've taken a chance, as our F150 in on a rail car in transit to the dealer. ETA - July 30-Aug 5. Yikes, you say. Cart b4 the horse! Truth is, the 2022 year models of the 2600RB were getting in short supply and our dealer made us a good deal, IMO. So took the chance that there will be no train wreck. Also, have not ordered a PP3 or Hensley Arrow yet. Will wait on the truck to do that as shipping looks to be ~3 days and we need to put some miles on the new truck.

We also have a big list printed out for things to order. You know the "stuff".

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If plugged in at campsites, your battery will be fine. Without outside power, you can run heat, water pump, fans, lights, slides, jacks, USB ports, and the audio system (but not the TV). Also the fridge - an all electric uses more juice, a gas/electric still needs a bit of 12v for it's control circuit when on gas. Anything that moves air or water, or gets hot/cold will consume lots more power than the other items.
    Your truck may provide some charging, but generally the wiring is too small to fully charge a very discharged battery during driving.
    More battery is a "nice to have", but maybe at the beginning not a "should/must have". Easy to loose sight of that distinction, the more you read about RV life. Camp several times, maybe do a day & night at your pad just on battery, to see what actually works for you. You can always plug in if you run low. A larger/second battery is an easy add, but as you are discovering there are a LOT of things to buy. No need to overbuy at the beginning. Give it a few trial runs, and then evaluate.

FYI - note that the big red "battery off" switch usually does NOT turn everything off, many is the camper that flipped the switch when they left their RV for days/weeks, only to find the battery dead (and maybe needing to be replaced) due to things that continued to draw "small" bits of power. Best to disconnect the battery, or install a second cutoff switch, if you will be leaving it unconnected to charging power for longer periods.
    Last edited by sande005; 07-17-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are coming from a Montana 3791RD that was sold with all the fixn's as we thought we would not camp again. So the list is long.... we split into needs and wants. We learned to be able to completely disconnect battery, a boat switch was added to the negative side. At home we have 50/30/15 amp supply to the RV pad/cover.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all depends on how long you drive for and what type of fridge you have, I think for the most part you are totally fine.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I've got nowhere near that arena yet. Going to do the PDI tomorrow and then sign papers. We will sit it at the dealers campsite for a couple days. On Wednesday, I expect to borrow a neighbors F250 to tow it the 4 miles to our covered rv pad with power and water hookup. I'll take a look for those papers in the packet.

I know someone will ask me why not my truck. We've taken a chance, as our F150 in on a rail car in transit to the dealer. ETA - July 30-Aug 5. Yikes, you say. Cart b4 the horse! Truth is, the 2022 year models of the 2600RB were getting in short supply and our dealer made us a good deal, IMO. So took the chance that there will be no train wreck. Also, have not ordered a PP3 or Hensley Arrow yet. Will wait on the truck to do that as shipping looks to be ~3 days and we need to put some miles on the new truck.

We also have a big list printed out for things to order. You know the "stuff".
    Before you sign the papers make the dealer install the second one. An make sure they are full size. I made that part of the deal when I got mine. You will need two, especially with the 12v fridge.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast