Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230 pin box replacement

I have a 2018 RL230 reflection 150.
    I used a gooseneck adaptor for a trip to Yellowstone. Then I found that grand design won't warranty the frame if the gooseneck is used. so I replaced it with the pull rite system with the lite weight hitch and ball. When I installed the adaptor plate on the king pin, I saw that the king pin itself was tweaked. It looks like the torque from the gooseneck may have had something to do with it. My problem is that I can not find a replacement pin box. I would like to upgrade from the solid to some fusion for a better ride. Any body have a idea on how to get a new pin box?
    The mounting bolt alignment is the big problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0506.jpg  

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - true gooseneck adapters are a bad idea on fifth wheel RVs - and should never be used on a Turning Point pin box, anyway. They're just not engineered for them. If Reese makes a Goose Box for your original pin box model number, it will not void your Lippert frame warranty (Lippert warranties the frames - not GD). What is the model number on your original pin box?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no replacement for the Turning Point hitch....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called Grand Design and they think it is a 1622 . Grand Design is no help at all. There is no # on the pin box that mean anything. Even GD with the serial # weren’t to sure. I am not happy with GD.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman58 View Post
    Called Grand Design and they think it is a 1622 . Grand Design is no help at all. There is no # on the pin box that mean anything. Even GD with the serial # weren’t to sure. I am not happy with GD.
    Grand design didn't make the chassis or the pin box. There may be no number for the Turning Point pin box... that's all I've ever seen it referred to. I think you'll have to replace it with another Turning Point and use it as intended.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morryde did at one time, make a Turning Point style replacement pinbox. Unfortunately, it was a tad to narrow by a 1/8". However, Morryde claimed it could fit and was a Turning Point replacement.

They are no longer available and/or made by Morryde. And yes, Lippert said the frame warranty would be voided if the Morryde unit was used.

Here is a eTrailer tech discussion on this:
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-535701.html
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have a warranty on your frame. GD only warrants the frame for 3 years. If you bought an extended warranty then thats on the warranty service company.
    Page 2
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...20Brochure.pdf

As for the pin box. I assume you still have the OEM? Spendy but have you looked into an air assist 5th hitch?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    You don't have a warranty on your frame. GD only warrants the frame for 3 years. If you bought an extended warranty then thats on the warranty service company.
    Page 2
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...20Brochure.pdf

As for the pin box. I assume you still have the OEM? Spendy but have you looked into an air assist 5th hitch?
    However, when I enquired about such a swap, Lippert did say they would do a case by case evaluation on any frame issues beyond ANY warranty, and recommended HIGHLY against installing any non OEM pin box to the OEM frame due to original specifications.

But like anything, its always upto the pocketbook of the beholder....
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I talked to Lippert again and their response was the Reese Sidewinder will work. Called Reese and NO it won't work, different bolt pattern. Their suggestion is to get the Pin Box you want and have a fab shop build a new pin box receiver. So there is no direct replacement pin box at all. Not a very good design from GD. While I am at it the fuse for the awning is located behind the TV panel. With no access. Found the fuse when I was running a new cable for TV. While I had the panel off I noticed that the wire loom was just ran thru a hole in the paneling with no grommet to stop chafing of the wires. Also the cheap fender skirts that are so cheap (in quality) not in price. They have a tendency to vibrate and break it the mounting screws. As far as I am concerned a GD is no better than any other Fifth Wheel. Our 2005 Thor Jazz was a much better unit. Never should have traded it in. I feel better now that I vented a little.