User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2150RB - loss of water and sway

Picked up a 2018 2150RB a couple weeks ago. Last week we made our shakedown trip, a 900 mile round trip to boondock in the Hells Canyon Recreational Area in NE Oregon for 6 days. Pretty big ask for a new to us rig but we wanted out of town and wanted to see if we made the right call on downsizing to this trailer.

I filled the water tank the night before we left until water was pouring out of the overflow. On the evening of day 3, wife was taking a shower and said we were out of water. WTH? No leaks in the driveway and none at camp. Bath grey tank is only 31 or so gallons and fresh is 52 and we were not having any grey water backing up and we had not used the kitchen sink at this point. Only thing I can figure is the on trip over through the twisty switched back up and down roads, water was being splash out of the over flow. My thought is I'll put a shutoff valve on the overflow line once full. Has this happened to anyone else?

One other thing I noticed is this trailer has quite a bit of sway even with a blue-ox sway pro WDH. Never had a trailer sway this much. The head wind on the trip back was 25-30mph and it was very noticeable. Nothing I was worried about but I had to pay attention and keep it around 62mph. Don't ask about the gas mileage. IMO, I'm not sure I'd want to tow this far in a 150/1500 in windy conditions. Maybe this is normal for something this light? Seemed to have the right amount of tongue weight as it sat at about the same place as my boat that I know is 650lbs. Front pass through was loaded with tables, chairs and tools. Grey tanks were empty and fresh had whatever was in there after filling it up again on day 4.

Otherwise we had a great trip and this trailer will work perfectly for boondocking in the more remote places and to be able to utilize forest service campgrounds.
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search on here for siphoning affect. Some members have reported loosing up to 1/4 even 1/3. Easy fix is adding a Sharkbite 1/2 valve to the overflow. Just remember to open it before pumping water. Another safer fix is rerouting to overflow higher.
    As for sway, have you hit a CAT scale to see if you wdh is properly tunnel in? It took us a few shots to get the sweet spot. Sway is usually caused by not enough tw.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fresh water tank more than likely siphoned water as you were driving. It’s a known issue. I use a 00 plug to seal my overflow after I have filled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	41911

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	41912

Should not be a lot of sway if the Ox is set correctly. I went to an Andersen and have virtually no sway. Same style trailer with similar tongue weight. Do you know your tongue was ok? Loaded correctly?
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a shut-off valve on our 2650. After water starts to come out the overflow tube, I shut the valve and continue to fill the tank via the gravity fill port. I can get another 5-6 gallons of water that way.
    I also Teed off the drain valve and plumbed the winterization line to it. This way I use all the water in the tank and don't have another 5-6 gallons sitting in the bottom of the tank. The problem is that the pump may suck up any debris in the tank. I make a point to pull & clean the pump strainer once a season.
    I never use the City-Fill valve to fill the tank. And I found there's enough air leakage around the fill cap without having to open the overflow shutoff valve.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

While I have not weighed it I feel like it has a decent amount of tongue weight as it lowers the F350 about 1-1/2" without the WDH bars on which is about the same as my boat that I know is between 650-700lbs. We replaced the mattress with a residential one the weighs 97lbs plus I put about 150lbs of stuff in the front storage. I estimate at full wet weight I'm close to 7k if I can keep all of the water. Every scale I passed on this trip was in use so I didn't get a chance to check it. Not sure I want to know... Wife likes all of the storage it has for the size and I keep reminding her we do NOT need to fill the space.

This trailer doesn't have that much payload which was my only concern when we looked at it. Has anyone put 225/75-15 load range D or E tires on one of these? I believe the axles are 3500lb-ers based on my research. Please correct me if I've got bad info. A little extra tire would give me some cushion. I do my own bearing maintenance and have other trailers so I'm pretty familiar with capacity and capability.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2018 2150RB and also use a Blue Ox. I am going to hazard a guess that it still has the OEM Westlake tires??? For me the bulk of the sway went away, soon as I got out of the Westlake tires and into the Endurance. I use the thousand pound spring bars and my tongue weight is at 800lbs.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2150RB owners also got the short end from Grand Design on cargo capacity. Like you pointed out it has two 3500lb axles, which means 7000 pounds. 800 pounds are on the truck tongue and yet we got a max GVWR south of 6700 lbs??? See my latest post for a bit more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it has the westlake tires. That is one reason I was thinking if I changed them out I'd go with something with more plys. I know I'm not gaining anything load-wise but just more peace of mind in the heat and being at the max.

I have 1000lb bars as well.

I plugged the overflow so that should take care of that. I had to sanitize the water system and on one of the rinse and drain cycles I watch the overflow go for 3+ minutes after I shut off the water. It has a pretty good siphon once it's going.

Heading out this weekend up to a lake close to home. Pulling with the F150 this trip to see how it does. No wind in the forecast.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my stock Westlakes and my trailer doesn’t sway at all
    Tires are not going to make a difference IMO
    You need to scale your rig and get weight upfront
    Nothing wrong with Westlakes
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we will just have to agree to disagree. The Westlake's weighed about 70% of what the Endurance weighed. I know because I got to handle them both while the changeout was happening. The sidewall on the Westlake's felt like a very thick balloon or glove. The Goodyear has a noticeably stronger sidewall and it was really hard to push on it. I was shocked at the difference. It is really great that you don't experience sway. You may have a perfect loadout. So many factors go into it. I myself always shoot for 12% weight on the tongue and I always had some sway to moderate sway with the Westlake's. It was there anytime a big rig passed or above 10mph winds. Driving in 25mph winds was always a two handed affair, not white knuckle, but heightened attention was required.
    Having a stronger sidewall really does help especially when the wind is pushing on you in a cross breeze. I know I had 8k miles on mine when I changed to Goodyear and the difference was night and day. She rides great and I have never had to two hand it since changing to Goodyear. I know Westlake makes tires in many sizes and load ratings, but the ones that I had, the OEM were garbage and I will never buy any tires with that name on them again. The same thinking goes on your truck. Real truck tires have enhanced sidewall strength compared to standard/passenger tires, they may look similar on the outside, but they are not even close on a cross section. They also help to keep the truck pointed straight down the road when the wind is a pushing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast