Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitch Decisions

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Decisions

I've done a few searches but mostly find older threads on the Hensley Arrow vs ProPride WDH. I see lots of older pix of rusty and sometime poor welds on the Arrow. Also busted components on a few of both. One pix that has an unknown source shows a PP adjustable hitch bar that weld did not hold lateral forces and very well could have been catastrophic.

I'm looking at both. Sean offers no discount so $3795 including shipping. Terry Powell has a good deal this week on the Arrow of $3203 free shipping and the extension kit included (not sure if I even need that). Having not found any recent reviews in the vs category. I would imagine that owners of either cannot give much input on the other. I've been leaning towards the PP due to what appears to be better finish and welds but $600 more. Any input would be appreciated.

Kenneth & Joyful
    Lake Conroe Texas

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are interest groups for both on Facebook. Has been interesting how quick the Hensley moderators are to ban people who post negative things, vs the more open ProPride responses from Sean and the other main staff from that company.
    For me, the decision came down to:
    1. The Propride has several enhancements that the Hensley will never have, developed by Jim Hensley the original inventor, and by the ProPride staff. Hensley is pretty much as it always was, and limited by the terms of the original agreements with Jim Hensley.
    2. It speaks volumes that Jim cut off all association with his namesake company, and went into partnership with Sean at ProPride....
    3. Over the years, the customer response reports about ProPride has been outstanding (and it was for me). Reports from Hensley not at the same level.

Mine is now 5 yrs old, and no issues of any kind, ever.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not been following the PP3 hitch and Sean but for a couple months - when I saw that we would need a WDH. Does ProPride ever run sales on the PP3 as I can wait a bit due to the truck is still on a rail car. But the Arrow deal, which I think is good, will expire end of week. They are both niche products and the Arrow does seem to get OOS. I've heard many say the paint and finish just are not up to spec on the Arrow and Cub but not much in the forums recently.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    There are interest groups for both on Facebook. Has been interesting how quick the Hensley moderators are to ban people who post negative things, vs the more open ProPride responses from Sean and the other main staff from that company.
    For me, the decision came down to:
    1. The Propride has several enhancements that the Hensley will never have, developed by Jim Hensley the original inventor, and by the ProPride staff. Hensley is pretty much as it always was, and limited by the terms of the original agreements with Jim Hensley.
    2. It speaks volumes that Jim cut off all association with his namesake company, and went into partnership with Sean at ProPride....
    3. Over the years, the customer response reports about ProPride has been outstanding (and it was for me). Reports from Hensley not at the same level.

Mine is now 5 yrs old, and no issues of any kind, ever.
    I agree with what @sande005 said.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been towing with the Hensley Arrow for over three years now and we've towed over 12,000 with it, so I thought that throw in my two cents. So far we have not had a single issue with the hitch, but we have dealt with their customer service a couple of times and I have to say that they have been great. We actually purchased the hitch before we purchased our trailer or the new truck. It was refurbished by Hensley at a greatly reduced price and came with a lifetime warranty, so I jumped at it. It sat on my garage floor a few months waiting to be installed. Two of our friends also tow their GD trailers (Image and Reflection) with Hensley Arrow hitches and to my knowledge neither has has any issue. One friends gave up on his blue-ox and purchased his Hensley used from someone moving up to 5th wheel and he's not had any issues with the Hensley customer service either.

When I was purchasing a hitch I had narrowed my search down to Hensley and ProPride. Both are fantastic hitches, in my opinion Jim Hensley (the designer of both) is a genius. I'm an engineer (Structural) and these two designs impressed the H*** out of me. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Now I have no clue with what happened between Jim Hensley and his namesake company that forced him over to ProPride. I do know that Jim took his original designs and tweaked them. I'm sure he made some improvements. In the end both hitches use very similar (I don't know they could be the same) linkage designs and that is what makes these two hitches very special. It is the this linkage design that prevents trailer sway. They both perform weight distribution the same way. I believe the major difference is in how they install on the trailer frame and the Propride has an adjustable height hitch bar or "stinger".

I personally don't think that you could go wrong buying either hitch. In my case I let price dictate and I have no regrets. I will add that the "Hitch Helper" is must have for Hensley and ProPride users. When hitching up with either hitch you need to back the stinger into the hitch box perfectly and with the Hitch Helper you can move the nose of the trailer 6" to either side. It makes hitching up easy. I also made a straight wooden stinger, the exact same size as the real one. I use this to help me see how well aligned the hitch box is the stinger on my truck. These two devices have made hitching up very easy.

My wooden "alignment" stinger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071252062.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	41974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071329638.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	41975

The Hensley Hitch Helper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40015-Hitch-Helper.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	41973
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 07-21-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have knowledge of a hitch similar to either the 3P or Arrow? Something not $3k - $4k?
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Hensley Arrow for over 20yrs and have had to exchange stingers three times as I changed trailers or tow vehicles. When the Propride came out, I was impressed with the design changes , but not enough to pay to switch. Hitching a HA has a steep learning curve, but once mastered, is faster than most wdh hitches. I have no doubt either will do the same work. If I had to buy one again. I may tend towards a PP if it came with an adjustable height stinger. The postage on a 40lb. stinger on the HA exchange program was a killer. I will say I miss that HA.
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Does anyone have knowledge of a hitch similar to either the 3P or Arrow? Something not $3k - $4k?
    I have to ask
    Why do you think you need one?
    My husky Centreline and my previous Equalizer e4 are both quality wdh that work very well
    Proper loading is all that is needed to avoid sway
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have to ask
    Why do you think you need one?
    My husky Centreline and my previous Equalizer e4 are both quality wdh that work very well
    Proper loading is all that is needed to avoid sway
    Same here. Not to take away the from the PP and Hensley, as they are really good hitches, but with proper setup and weight, a good WDH will work just as well. Towed my last trailer before my 5th with a Husky Centerline for over 25K miles in all kinds of weather with no sway.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Same here. Not to take away the from the PP and Hensley, as they are really good hitches, but with proper setup and weight, a good WDH will work just as well. Towed my last trailer before my 5th with a Husky Centerline for over 25K miles in all kinds of weather with no sway.
    Good question. For me, even after moving to a 1 ton, the improved turn radius that a HA allowed was worth a lot.
    Also I did not see what the OP had for tow vehicle and trailer. So would not try to guess their intentions or needs.
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast