User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar wattage and A/C

We're researching and getting quotes on beefing up our solar package. Quite frankly we're afraid to try to tackle it ourselves. We're curious about running an A/C. We have soft starts already. We don't use blowdryers, etc. and know not to use them when we're on a generator and running A/Cs. So, with that, generally what does it take in solar panel wattage and battery amp hours to run an A/C?
    2017 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch 8' bed
    2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
    Factory installed 300 watts solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY hitch with gooseneck coupler

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar wattage and A/C

Deleted comment
    Last edited by NB Canada; 07-19-2022 at 08:42 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends, of course, on how long you plan on using it, the A/C I mean.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kengqiuist View Post
    We're researching and getting quotes on beefing up our solar package. Quite frankly we're afraid to try to tackle it ourselves. We're curious about running an A/C. We have soft starts already. We don't use blowdryers, etc. and know not to use them when we're on a generator and running A/Cs. So, with that, generally what does it take in solar panel wattage and battery amp hours to run an A/C?
    It takes about 100 to 150 Ah of battery power for one hour of air conditioning. You're way better off getting a generator for running the A/C. With that said, perhaps for you one hour of silent A/C is worth the $300 to $400 for a LiFePo4 battery to run that. Probably best done in combination with other elements. Genny = simple (with your SoftStarts).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound Sailor is right. Battle Born quotes that you need a 100ah battery for each hour you want to run your Air Conditioner. I think it takes a bit more than 100ah per hour of A/C use, so 100 ah PLUS seems like a good planning number. I wouldn't plan on running the Air conditioner unless you have at least 800ah of battery storage available.

Additionally, I would recommend 1200 to 1500 Watts of Solar to keep a battery bank of that size charged up. You also need to keep in mind that if you run the Air Conditioner, you are cutting into the energy storage you will need to keep your coach running overnight. Your Solar panels can help extend the Air Conditioner run-time and may occasionally provide enough energy to fully run your A/C (one A/C) without drawing too much energy from the battery bank, but, I would not plan on this being the case.

Of course you are going to need a quality Inverter and I would recommend the Victron MultiPlus line of Inverters, the Original MultiPlus for a 30 amp coach and the MultiPlus II for a 50 amp coach.

The good news is now there are several Lithium battery options that can save you money and the solar panels, especially Residential Solar panels (which I recommend) have steadily dropped in price over the past several years.

PS: If you are considering a system this robust, I would recommend you seriously consider installing a 24v system instead of a 12v system, there are many advantages to a 24v system.

PPS: If you are at all handy, designing and installing a battery bank and Solar system is not that difficult if you have a good understanding of 12v and 120v electricity.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a recent episode from KYD, where they are dry camping for several days and Mark tests running an AC off their smallish generator. Might not be your same configuration, but I found the info helpful and interesting, re power usage, charging, etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4muZTdQlWGU
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed my 3k inverter with +600ah of LifePo4 batteries. I saw an average of 120ah to run the A/C. That was with everything running in the 5th wheel [which was not much].

Trying to believe what BB was saying, I guess if the A/C compressor was not working all the time, you may get an hour of run time with a 100ah battery. I would not use that value if I designed a system. I think you would be disappointed and hot.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I just installed my 3k inverter with +600ah of LifePo4 batteries. I saw an average of 120ah to run the A/C. That was with everything running in the 5th wheel [which was not much].

Trying to believe what BB was saying, I guess if the A/C compressor was not working all the time, you may get an hour of run time with a 100ah battery. I would not use that value if I designed a system. I think you would be disappointed and hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Sound Sailor is right. Battle Born quotes that you need a 100ah battery for each hour you want to run your Air Conditioner. I think it takes a bit more than 100ah per hour of A/C use, so 100 ah PLUS seems like a good planning number. I wouldn't plan on running the Air conditioner unless you have at least 800ah of battery storage available.

Additionally, I would recommend 1200 to 1500 Watts of Solar to keep a battery bank of that size charged up. You also need to keep in mind that if you run the Air Conditioner, you are cutting into the energy storage you will need to keep your coach running overnight. Your Solar panels can help extend the Air Conditioner run-time and may occasionally provide enough energy to fully run your A/C (one A/C) without drawing too much energy from the battery bank, but, I would not plan on this being the case.

Of course you are going to need a quality Inverter and I would recommend the Victron MultiPlus line of Inverters, the Original MultiPlus for a 30 amp coach and the MultiPlus II for a 50 amp coach.

The good news is now there are several Lithium battery options that can save you money and the solar panels, especially Residential Solar panels (which I recommend) have steadily dropped in price over the past several years.

PS: If you are considering a system this robust, I would recommend you seriously consider installing a 24v system instead of a 12v system, there are many advantages to a 24v system.

PPS: If you are at all handy, designing and installing a battery bank and Solar system is not that difficult if you have a good understanding of 12v and 120v electricity.
    Thanks for giving us a real world example of the ah draw (120) for running an Air Conditioner.

I did note that Battle Born was the source for the 100ah battery per hour of A/C use.

Additionally, as you have proven, I felt the 100ah per hour of A/C use was a bit too low. SoundSailor mentioned above that he used the 100ah to 150ah figure for his calculations.

I think that I would recommend using 125ah to 150ah per hour of A/C use for planning purposes going forward.

With that being said, I think my recommendation of having at least an 800ah Battery Bank for A/C operation is still good advice.

@Butcher, thanks for the real world information.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 07-22-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think 800ah would be the minimum. I plan on going at least another 300ah and maybe 600ah.

My next step is solar. I took on way more that I could do this year. Money is not a problem, it's like everyone else, we all get 24hrs and what we do with that is our challenge.

Next year will be solar, I'm thinking 1,600 watts, but I will probably break it down to two different projects.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I would think 800ah would be the minimum. I plan on going at least another 300ah and maybe 600ah.

My next step is solar. I took on way more that I could do this year. Money is not a problem, it's like everyone else, we all get 24hrs and what we do with that is our challenge.

Next year will be solar, I'm thinking 1,600 watts, but I will probably break it down to two different projects.
    That is one nice thing about upgrading the Electrical system, you can do it in phases to make it easier on yourself and/or your wallet. The one caveat is to plan out your final system in advance so you don't spend money on parts that need to be replaced in the future because you bought devices with lower capability than you will need in your final build.

For those who might be reading this, I have posted a thread about building your Solar system in phases. Check out this link to read more: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post406356
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK