User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better Cellphone and Internet Access

What do you folks use to get better cellphone and internet access while on the road? We have thought about using our cellphone’s as hot spots but we don’t have an unlimited data plan and have quickly run out of data in the past. We also were in Gros Ventre campground for 10 days in the beginning of July and had very poor cellphone connection (we are on AT&T). I saw a number of people who had cellphone boosters and even a couple of people with the StarLink RV setup. I am not sure what direction my wife and I should go. Any suggestions from this group are greatly appreciated.
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchild View Post
    What do you folks use to get better cellphone and internet access while on the road? We have thought about using our cellphone’s as hot spots but we don’t have an unlimited data plan and have quickly run out of data in the past. We also were in Gros Ventre campground for 10 days in the beginning of July and had very poor cellphone connection (we are on AT&T). I saw a number of people who had cellphone boosters and even a couple of people with the StarLink RV setup. I am not sure what direction my wife and I should go. Any suggestions from this group are greatly appreciated.
    That's really doing to depend on what your intended use is. For me, I still work full time, we are full-time in our 320MKS. We have Starlink, a MVNO Verizon hotspot with "unlimited" data, and a T-Mobile hotspot with 10 GB as I need connectivity to work.

Before Starlink, we were looking at a WeBoost cellular booster and Nomad Internet with an AT&T unlimited data plan.

Keep in mind we invest almost $200.00 a month in connectivity costs.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Visible phone, Verizon service and unlimited data for $25/month and a router. I also have a cell booster for when the signal is poor. I am on the edge about getting Star Link. My wife also has AT&T through purtalk for the times that is better then Verizon

Is this for entertainment only? Or are you working? I am not a full timer but I do work from the camper.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am working from the TT at times. I looked into Starlink also but the fine print left a lot to be desired for me. On the East side of the US it seems that I would be hard pressed to get those high speeds in the areas we are camping. Also, Nomad was also one of those, "Maybe you will connect, maybe not" providers. I always read the fine print which is hard to find sometimes. Nomad Tech says if I am in an area of high usage I may not connect at all.

I did get T-Mobile home Internet. It worked very well on the road and the BS about "call us if you move" is not really true. However, it is 5G only so no 5G tower, no Internet.

But as I read more it looks like most people are going with two or more providers to get their coverage. I am like you and still researching further because I have the money but choose not to waist it.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just travel in the summer. So, no working. I do assist my son in his business so there are times when I need the connectivity.

I have looked at StarLink. It is a very good options but it only runs on 110 power so an inverter and possibly solar would be needed.

I talked to a couple who full time and use StarLink and they love it. They can make all the cell phone calls they need and stream a ton on things without any problems. But they also have a robust lithium battery bank a solar to keep the juice flowing.

I don’t mind the $135/month fee, you can turn it on and off as needed. But I am still hitting the 110 power issue. We have a Reflection 303 that is pretty much stock. I have upgraded my 2 deep cycle batteries to a single lithium and love that part.

It gets down to what would work without a complete power upgrade to our trailer.
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Colorado and mostly travel in the west. We love it out here but I still need some connectivity.
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Colorado and mostly travel in the west. We love it out here but I still need some connectivity.
    For me I cannot use hotspots and I am not opening that discussion up again. But if I could get away with using hotspots I would use my T-mobile phone and grab a Verizon hotspot. That would run me about $100 a month and decent coverage. Oh and a nano router for inside the RV because phones as hotspots do not play too well with many devices hooked up to it. At least I know in my house with 40+ items it hates it.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a MOFI 5G router (a bit costly....but a one-time investment) and an AT&T SIM card with an unlimited plan through TownBroadBand. We also use this router in our home so no need for a home internet service. (Justifies the cost of the unlimited plan). This has worked flawlessly. Download speeds are dependent on tower loading. I have seen them as low as 15 Mbs and as high as 90Mbs. No issues with streaming video (Disney+, Hulu) while surfing on laptops. Works much better than our Verison plans with and without using the hotspot.

This router (and many others) could be hooked up to the winegard antennas using some MCX to SMA adapters.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just travel in the summer. So, no working. I do assist my son in his business so there are times when I need the connectivity.

I have looked at StarLink. It is a very good options but it only runs on 110 power so an inverter and possibly solar would be needed.

I talked to a couple who full time and use StarLink and they love it. They can make all the cell phone calls they need and stream a ton on things without any problems. But they also have a robust lithium battery bank a solar to keep the juice flowing.

I don’t mind the $135/month fee, you can turn it on and off as needed. But I am still hitting the 110 power issue. We have a Reflection 303 that is pretty much stock. I have upgraded my 2 deep cycle batteries to a single lithium and love that part.

It gets down to what would work without a complete power upgrade to our trailer.
    It sounds like you are off grid / boon docking. I was going to suggest that if it is cell signal you are hoping to improve then a directional cell phone repeater tower would be in order. One with a tall mast and directional antenna to boost a weak cell signal. But that too would require 110v.

So maybe there isn't a good solution for you without using either a generator or a lot of solar.

I used a cell repeater. It isn't fast, but at least it will get a signal when others around me can't.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Mobile Tech: Connectivity on the road.

This site has a lot of good information for free - plus a paid subscription that will get you a lot more:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

That said, a lot depends on your lifestyle, your data needs, and how often you're going to use a mobile setup in the RV. As full-timers, we have a (grandfathered) truly unlimited data plan on a very good 4G LTE MiFi hotspot. There have been only a couple of times in seven years that we've been so far out in the boonies we couldn't get a signal (nor could others, no matter which carrier). More often, we end up near a tower that doesn't have the bandwidth to support high-demand data needs such as HD streaming, etc. - but is still good enough for everything else. Fortunately, the places where we spend the most time have excellent service. There are starting to be some 5G plans for hotspots with 100 - 150GB of 5G data... but then the 5G networks aren't all that well developed yet. Starlink is also wait-listed in parts of the country and, even with a Starlink RV account, you will be deprioritized in those areas (at $125/month...).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast