User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy AC causing generator to overload

We have a new 2021 Kz-rv Sportsmen LE 28BHKLE trailer with 30a power with an air conditioner; connected to a new Westinghouse iGen4500 gas generator (4500w peak/3700w running, 37.5A peak/30.8A running). AC runs for a few minutes then the overload happens on the generator. So we turn the generator off and on, then ac turns back on. Repeating this several times to no end. We turned everything off - lights, tv off, dvd off, unplugged coffee maker/toaster, no pumps, no heat. Set fan to on (not auto), then switch to ac. Checked trailer breakers and fuses, nothing tripped, no fuse lights. What we do notice sometimes is our generator having a power draw for 2-3 seconds then resuming to idle, could be related, might not be.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campingwoodz View Post
    We have a new 2021 Kz-rv Sportsmen LE 28BHKLE trailer with 30a power with an air conditioner; connected to a new Westinghouse iGen4500 gas generator (4500w peak/3700w running, 37.5A peak/30.8A running). AC runs for a few minutes then the overload happens on the generator. So we turn the generator off and on, then ac turns back on. Repeating this several times to no end. We turned everything off - lights, tv off, dvd off, unplugged coffee maker/toaster, no pumps, no heat. Set fan to on (not auto), then switch to ac. Checked trailer breakers and fuses, nothing tripped, no fuse lights. What we do notice sometimes is our generator having a power draw for 2-3 seconds then resuming to idle, could be related, might not be.

Any ideas?
    Hi campingwoodz,

First welcome to the forum. I did want to make sure you understand that this is a forum dedicated to Grand Design rigs.

Thanks,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm aware. There's been lots of great discussion on acs/generators that I thought I might post the question anyways.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campingwoodz View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm aware. There's been lots of great discussion on acs/generators that I thought I might post the question anyways.
    Is there a Westinghouse generator group anywhere on Facebook you could talk to?
    Sounds like a generator issue not a trailer issue
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your converter is off or it will want power for charging batteries....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your generator. Many of these inverter style generators don’t have a bonded ground and it throws large appliances off just as you describe. You can get a bonded ground plug for just a few bucks.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your generator for an economy setting. Turn it off.

If you are using a surge suppressor without a neutral/ground bonding plug, it will not work. Remove the surge suppressor and run straight in.

Your generator has plenty of juice for your simple setup. You are similar to me.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Check your generator. Many of these inverter style generators don’t have a bonded ground and it throws large appliances off just as you describe. You can get a bonded ground plug for just a few bucks.

Bill
    Appliances don’t care if the ground is bonded or not. They’ll work just fine with no ground at all. Such a bond or its absence would not cause operational issues.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 07-20-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2500 w
    wattgen would not work on my trailer, ems showed open ground. Got bonded groung plug all good now.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Make sure your converter is off or it will want power for charging batteries....
    This is a big one... my converter draws as much as 17 amps to charge my batteries if they are down- add that to the A/C and you are WELL over 3700 watts...
    2021 RAM 2500 Cummins
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast