Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 3100RD with older kids - Advice from current/previous owners

Hi everyone.
    My family has owned an Imagine 2800BH travel trailer for 5 years. We like it, except now our children have turned into grown adults (son is 18 years old, daughter is 20) and we've added one (daughter's boyfriend, 21, camps with us). Currently, our kids sleep in the two bunks and my daughter's boyfriend sleeps on the pull-out sofa. It works but, in our opinion, it seems like the bunks are geared more towards little kids (not much height, especially in lower bunk, harder to make the beds, and the teddy bear mattresses we have are super thin for an adult).

My wife and I keep eyeing the 3100RD as it would give us more room when we're inside the camper just relaxing. We also thought that way when the kids are no longer camping with us (e.g. in their own camper) that the camper would still be relevant to us whereas the bunks in the 2800BH will mostly be wasted space.

However, there are a few things we're not sure about and would appreciate anyone's help/suggestions, especially those that currently/previously own a 3100RD. They are
    1. The 3100RD has two pull out beds. Is it possible to recline fully in one of the theater seats with both beds opened? We are wondering if 2 of the 3 kids could use the 2 pull-out beds (sleep separately) while the 3rd can sleep in the chair.
    2. No outdoor kitchen bums us. Has anyone tried using the pass thru storage as an outdoor kitchen? It seems like it may work, although obviously then you lose that storage space, so we're trying to decide if we'd want that.
    3. Are you able to open the refrigerator door with the slide in? We unload the camper at home from the street and can't open the slide due to traffic.
    4. Is there enough storage for the kid's stuff? We were thinking we could give the kids a drawer in the bedroom for now.

Thanks for your help/suggestions!
    Rob

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwnoltin View Post
    Hi everyone.
    My family has owned an Imagine 2800BH travel trailer for 5 years. We like it, except now our children have turned into grown adults (son is 18 years old, daughter is 20) and we've added one (daughter's boyfriend, 21, camps with us). Currently, our kids sleep in the two bunks and my daughter's boyfriend sleeps on the pull-out sofa. It works but, in our opinion, it seems like the bunks are geared more towards little kids (not much height, especially in lower bunk, harder to make the beds, and the teddy bear mattresses we have are super thin for an adult).

My wife and I keep eyeing the 3100RD as it would give us more room when we're inside the camper just relaxing. We also thought that way when the kids are no longer camping with us (e.g. in their own camper) that the camper would still be relevant to us whereas the bunks in the 2800BH will mostly be wasted space.

However, there are a few things we're not sure about and would appreciate anyone's help/suggestions, especially those that currently/previously own a 3100RD. They are
    1. The 3100RD has two pull out beds. Is it possible to recline fully in one of the theater seats with both beds opened? We are wondering if 2 of the 3 kids could use the 2 pull-out beds (sleep separately) while the 3rd can sleep in the chair.
    2. No outdoor kitchen bums us. Has anyone tried using the pass thru storage as an outdoor kitchen? It seems like it may work, although obviously then you lose that storage space, so we're trying to decide if we'd want that.
    3. Are you able to open the refrigerator door with the slide in? We unload the camper at home from the street and can't open the slide due to traffic.
    4. Is there enough storage for the kid's stuff? We were thinking we could give the kids a drawer in the bedroom for now.

Thanks for your help/suggestions!
    Rob
    Hey Rob (@rwnoltin), it looks like this is your first post, welcome aboard. Sounds like you're close to being "empty nesters." So if it were me, I'd be looking at what coach you want when it's just the two of you. You don't say what you have for a TV, but one of the smaller 5th wheels with a pull-out bed might be just the rig for you. Get a tent for the times the kids are with you.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a similar situation re grand kids. We bought a 2022 3100RD last fall.

1) you can access the refrigerator easily with the slides in, but not the big pantry.

2) you can use the theater chairs with the beds out, but can’t recline them all the way to the flat position.

3) don’t see how you’d have enough room to use the pass through as an outside kitchen. Too confined for there to be any advantage over setting up a stove outside.

Our experience has been none of the kids want to camp indefinitely, especially once they are in high school. We bought the 3100 knowing it was for our comfort and enjoyment ultimately.

Good luck. I’d stick with the bunkhouse a little longer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome to the forum. Two years ago we downsized from a 38' 5th wheel to the 3100RD and we're glad we did. The first thing we checked on was what was available with the slides all in. Everything except the living area, though the pantry only opens about 8 to 10 inches. However, since we know that, we plant anything we will need at a stop be near the opening so it'll be able to use. You can use the stove and frig as well. It's so nice to stop at a rest stop and/or gas stop and be able to use almost everything without having to open a slide. The only thing we miss is internal storage space (as compared to a 5th wheel), but we gained space in the truck bed so as long as we can use it and protect from any weather issue, it's not much concern. As for extra sleeping, one of the sofas opens into a queen size while the other is about a double. If in good weather, the 'kids' could sleep outside perhaps? Hope we've answered most of your questions.

Good camping,
    Ray
    2011 3500 Chevrolet LTZ SRW 4X4
    2020 GD Imagine 3100RD
    Slide toppers, Dimmer switches, surge guard
    MorRyde w/wet bolts, GY ST225/75R15 tires