Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie 2 questions

I have a (22) 315 RLST Grand Design
    1st question is how do I bring my slides in as I was told they should be brought in on D.C. power ? Does that mean I should unplug and turn on DC. to pull slides in or is it OK to leave plugged in and have DC. switch on also?
    Second question on emptying black tank after draining do you just hook a hose to the black tank flush port and flush for a couple minutes?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuke11 View Post
    1st question is how do I bring my slides in as I was told they should be brought in on D.C. power ? Does that mean I should unplug and turn on DC. to pull slides in or is it OK to leave plugged in and have DC. switch on also?
    Second question on emptying black tank after draining do you just hook a hose to the black tank flush port and flush for a couple minutes?
    First question is I bring mine in either way. I am going to assume it runs on DC (I don't have inverter).

Second is I flush until it appears clean. I do like a 30 second count and if a chunk comes, start at 1. I also prepare my black tank for the next trip right away. That way it is still wet and as I travel it sloshes around a bit.

But that is what I do.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slides operate on 12VDC no matter if you're plugged into 120VAC shore power or not. The slide motors get their power from the batteries... and the converter-charger recharges the batteries.

As for the black tank, yes - connect a hose (not the one you use for potable water) to the flush port and turn it on (with the black tank drain valve open). Many of us, after the initial dump and rinse, will close the black tank drain valve and let the tank fill for a couple of minutes before opening the drain valve again. DO NOT WALK AWAY WHILE YOU'RE DOING THIS! Those who have done so and forget end up overfilling the black tank and causing serious damage.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    First question is I bring mine in either way. I am going to assume it runs on DC (I don't have inverter).

Second is I flush until it appears clean. I do like a 30 second count and if a chunk comes, start at 1. I also prepare my black tank for the next trip right away. That way it is still wet and as I travel it sloshes around a bit.

But that is what I do.
    Oh, thanks for that Rob. I was told flushing a black tank closed is bad. That makes it easier.

Also since we have black and grey using same drain I do the grey last to flush the hose. Shampoo smells better than poo poo.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The battery switch disconnects some things from the battery, and the converter, when plugged in to shore power, may not be able to supply enough DC on its own to run the slides. But no issue having both turned on at the same time.
    The battery switch has to be on to allow the battery to be charged from shore power.
    It does not disconnect everything, so your batteries may go dead after a few days or more even with the switch off. Disconnect the battery if not using the trailer for a longer period of time.

You've got the basics of operating the flush. Many of us find it takes a lot more than a few minutes, and repeated on/off of the water, to get all the "bits" out.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Oh, thanks for that Rob. I was told flushing a black tank closed is bad. That makes it easier.

Also since we have black and grey using same drain I do the grey last to flush the hose. Shampoo smells better than poo poo.
    It can be VERY bad - if you walk away and forget it. Our black tank is 53 gallons. I run two water pressure regulators (a fixed 55PSI on the spigot end to protect the hose and an adjustable set to 45PSI in the utility bay), so I know I have a controlled water flow (though only the fixed 55PSI affect my black tank flush). 4 minutes running the flush water with the outlet closed is perfectly safe in my case. I set a timer on my phone for 4 minutes when I close the valve and stand by. After the tank drains completely again. I close the valve and put a minute or so of fresh water in the tank for the next go-round. And, yes - always black tank first and then gray tank(s) to flush the drain pipes and the stinky slinky.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It can be VERY bad - if you walk away and forget it. Our black tank is 53 gallons. I run two water pressure regulators (a fixed 55PSI on the spigot end to protect the hose and an adjustable set to 45PSI in the utility bay), so I know I have a controlled water flow (though only the fixed 55PSI affect my black tank flush). 4 minutes running the flush water with the outlet closed is perfectly safe in my case. I set a timer on my phone for 4 minutes when I close the valve and stand by. After the tank drains completely again. I close the valve and put a minute or so of fresh water in the tank for the next go-round. And, yes - always black tank first and then gray tank(s) to flush the drain pipes and the stinky slinky.

Rob
    Why do you not just run one regulator at 45psi instead of the two in serial?
    Hobienick

2012 F150 SCREW 3.5 EB, 6.5 Bed, Max Tow
    2022 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
    Why do you not just run one regulator at 45psi instead of the two in serial?
    One of the main reasons is that I don't want my expensive adjustable regulator outside at the spigot where it can grow legs - and I want a regulator out there to protect my hoses (my No Freeze Water Hose for winter use cost $325+). The $55 fixed-pressure regulator (not one of the Amazon or Camco cheapies which restrict flow) doesn't have a gauge on it, so it draws less attention. There are absolutely no concerns when we're on military bases like we are now, but we had a cable cut and a $900 bicycle stolen last winter at a privately-owned RV park.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When flushing my black tank, 37 gallons, I have a flow meter to tell me how much water I have added. It is only a guesstimate and when I am filling and flushing it is the only task I do. When you turn the water on to your black tank flush, it will make a distinct empty sound. Once the level of the water rises to the flush inlet, the tone will change and I know it is time to drain. You can also look down the toilet chute and see the water level rising. I know the warning sticker says to do it with the valve open. I also don’t heed not running with scissors.

When finished I disconnect the hose from the flush connector. No need for a valve failing while on a hike and you come back to a full black tank and a wet floor.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuke11 View Post
    Hey @Yuke11, looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. As you can see from all the good advice you've gotten, there are many experienced folks here happy to help you out. So keep the questions coming.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast