Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    I'm back with a couple of questions for my Indiana and Michigan folks.

We are planning to spend a couple of days in the St Louis area then head to Elkhart IN.

I have two routes to consider.

The first is leaving St. Louis (Granite City) on IH70 to Effingham IN then take IH67 up to IH94 and then over to Elkhart.
    The second is leaving St Louis (Granit City) on IH70 to Indianapolis IN. Loop around Indianapolis IN on IH465 to State Highway 31 to State Highway 20 to State Highway 19 to Elkhart.

Seems like the travel time is about the same but would fuel stops and rest areas be better on the Intrastate routes.

I just would prefer not to have to deal with the Chicago area.
    Beware of about 5 miles of I55/I70 in IL, right after you cross the Mississippi. That stretch is pathetic. Also, be very aware of your surroundings in St. Louis. Hopefully you are visiting friends or family, that can advise you.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in St. Louis. Use I-270 or 255 depending on where you are visiting to bypass 70 through the downtown area. If you absolutely must go through downtown, use the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge. It's made the drive east much easier than the absolute cluster that is the Poplar Street Bridge. As for safety, St. Louis is like any other major metropolitan area. Just be aware of your surroundings.

I drove to the UP a few years ago with the travel trailer. I took 55 to 94 through Madison and Green Bay and we stayed in Munising near Pictured Rocks. We took a day trip over to Mackinaw Island with the kids and that was enough.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your leg to Columbus tries to take you south on US 23, be careful from about 10 miles north of the MI OH state line. Don’t know about the condition of the SB lanes, but NB are among the roughest I’ve ever encounter. Caused a BAL slide cable to break. I75 will avoid this, but takes you through Detroit. Have fun. Mackinaw is wonderful.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Like WhittleBurner said, after Elkart, head to Western MI and drive up the coast. Traverse City area is awesome. We spend 2 weeks there in late September. I've pulled my 380FL that route all the way up to Mackinaw City. When in Mackinaw City, take a day trip up to Sault Ste Marie and take a boat tour through the locks. Very cool.
    We're looking to head up the Lake Michigan coast in that time frame, mid-late September, maybe even first 2 weeks of October. What's the average weather like that time of year?
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    We're looking to head up the Lake Michigan coast in that time frame, mid-late September, maybe even first 2 weeks of October. What's the average weather like that time of year?
    We loved the weather during our trip in late September/early October. It was in the low 40-50's at night and warmed up to the mid 60's during the day. We wore a sweatshirt at night with a jacket over if we were out and during the day we wore a light jacket. You're doing so much walking/hiking around the Mackinaw City area with the old Fort, the dark sky area, lighthouses. We especially enjoyed the McGulpin lighthouse and the walking trails to McGulpin Rock.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Cool at night, high 40s to low 50s, and 60s during the day. The farther north you go, campgrounds begin to turn off water early October so you may want to check whether water will be available.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12