Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Mackinaw island mi trip planning

The DW has informed me that this September, when the Grand Girls head back to school, she wants to take a trip from Austin, Texas to Mackinaw City.

I've figured out 3 different routes to take:
    1) from Austin to Oklahoma City to Wichita Kansas to Omaha Nebraska, then across Iowa to South Bend (with a side trip to Elkhart) and finally to Mackinaw City
    2) from Austin to Durant Ok to Tulsa to Joplin MO to Springfield MO to St. Louis MO to Indianapolis IN to Fort Wayne IN (side trip to Elkhart) to Grand Rapids MI and finally to Mackinaw City
    3) from Austin to Durant OK to Fort Smith AR to Little Rock AR to Memphis TN to Indianapolis IN to Fort Wayne IN (another side trip to Elkhart) to Grand Rapids MI and finally to Mackinaw City.

I haven't plugged in the stops yet, but I'm planning on either Oklahoma City or Durant the first day. Then we'll plan stops around points of interest and mileage.

We have taken trips from Austin to Utah and Austin to Arkansas, but this will be our longest trip we have undertaken. Any advice (both good and bad) would be greatly appreciated
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long are you planning for this trip ? there are plenty of places in MI to see. From Grand Rapids (you must be a beer drinker) I'd head back to the Lake MI shoreline. There are plenty of stops along the way if you have the time...start planning now, campsites in MI all the way through Oct could be already mostly booked up..fall is a beautiful time in northern MI
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you should go with option # 3 you might want to consider coming through East Texas and getting on I30 at Texarkana. Seems like it would be a shorter route to Little Rock and less traffic. Good roads all the way.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    If you should go with option # 3 you might want to consider coming through East Texas and getting on I30 at Texarkana. Seems like it would be a shorter route to Little Rock and less traffic. Good roads all the way.
    We have went this way to go up to Indiana/Ohio many times. I30 to Texarkana to Little Rock to I40 Memphis to I55/I57 up thru Illinois to I70 and into Indiana to visit our kids. Then you could transition over to I69 North up into Michigan.
    The only bad place is a stretch of I55/I57 Arkansas (can't remember which) seams in the pavement cause a bouncing effect. Then again I70 thru Indiana can be brutal, as are most highways in Indiana.

But then whenever our kids came down to Texas from Indiana / Ohio to visit us they always went through Oklahoma.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like WhittleBurner said, after Elkart, head to Western MI and drive up the coast. Traverse City area is awesome. We spend 2 weeks there in late September. I've pulled my 380FL that route all the way up to Mackinaw City. When in Mackinaw City, take a day trip up to Sault Ste Marie and take a boat tour through the locks. Very cool.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE ON MACKINAW ISLAND TRIP:

Hello everyone, I'm back again looking for advice and tips.

Due to time variables where we have to be back in Austin the week of September 26th, I have had to revise my trip plans. I'll list them below and if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. FYI I used RV PARKY and Good Sam Trip Planner to plan the route and used Good Sam Find a Campground, KOA Directory and Campground Reviews to find campgrounds. Since I'm traveling with my wife and Sister-in-Law I felt that it would be better to stay at a campground versus a WalMart, Cracker Barrell or truck stops.

We plan on leaving Austin on September 8 and driving to Texarkana where we will stay overnight. Then to West Memphis (IH55 area) for another overnight stay. Then to the St. Louis area where we will stay a couple of day (September 10-12) with a side trip to Springfield IL and sightseeing in St. Louis. From there we will jump over to Indianapolis for a night then up to Elkhart IN. We'll spend a day there touring Notre Dame and the Elhart area (no available Grand Design Reflection tour dates). From there we'll head to Mackinaw City for 4 days.

For our return leg, we'll leave Mackinaw City for Columbus OH for a night, then to Dry Creek KY to spend a day and a half touring the ARK Experience. From there we'll head to Mammoth Cave for a day and a half. Then back to Memphis, Texarkana for a night each and finally home.

I tried to break the trip into no more than 5 hours of drive time and book parks that had good reviews on the KOA, Good Sam and Campground Reviews sites.

This will be our longest trip with about 4000 miles so planning gave me a major case of heartburn. Again, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 days in Mackinaw -
    Day trips aside from going to Mackinaw Island for a day

A day trip to Tahquamenon Falls
    To see the falls from the bottom there are acouple hundred steps down.. That's the easy part.. coming back up.. Well it's not easy after the first hundred.

And not far from there is Whitefish Point with a light house and museum with lots less stairs to climb

Another fun day could be spent in the Leelanau Penninsula checking out all the wineries and wandering Traverse City (if you like beer there's plenty of ipas around town)

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    UPDATE ON MACKINAW ISLAND TRIP:

Hello everyone, I'm back again looking for advice and tips.

Due to time variables where we have to be back in Austin the week of September 26th, I have had to revise my trip plans. I'll list them below and if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. FYI I used RV PARKY and Good Sam Trip Planner to plan the route and used Good Sam Find a Campground, KOA Directory and Campground Reviews to find campgrounds. Since I'm traveling with my wife and Sister-in-Law I felt that it would be better to stay at a campground versus a WalMart, Cracker Barrell or truck stops.

We plan on leaving Austin on September 8 and driving to Texarkana where we will stay overnight. Then to West Memphis (IH55 area) for another overnight stay. Then to the St. Louis area where we will stay a couple of day (September 10-12) with a side trip to Springfield IL and sightseeing in St. Louis. From there we will jump over to Indianapolis for a night then up to Elkhart IN. We'll spend a day there touring Notre Dame and the Elhart area (no available Grand Design Reflection tour dates). From there we'll head to Mackinaw City for 4 days.

For our return leg, we'll leave Mackinaw City for Columbus OH for a night, then to Dry Creek KY to spend a day and a half touring the ARK Experience. From there we'll head to Mammoth Cave for a day and a half. Then back to Memphis, Texarkana for a night each and finally home.

I tried to break the trip into no more than 5 hours of drive time and book parks that had good reviews on the KOA, Good Sam and Campground Reviews sites.

This will be our longest trip with about 4000 miles so planning gave me a major case of heartburn. Again, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    You might want to check out Petoskey Mi., it is 45 miles down M31 from Mackinaw City, lots of great spots on the way, Wilderness State Park, tunnel of trees, The Leggs inn, Harbor Springs, Boyne Mountain area’s.
    The trip from Mackinaw to Columbus will be a long day, will be lots of construction on I75.
    Have fun , enjoy the Great Lakes.
    Cheers
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back with a couple of questions for my Indiana and Michigan folks.

We are planning to spend a couple of days in the St Louis area then head to Elkhart IN.

I have two routes to consider.

The first is leaving St. Louis (Granite City) on IH70 to Effingham IN then take IH67 up to IH94 and then over to Elkhart.
    The second is leaving St Louis (Granit City) on IH70 to Indianapolis IN. Loop around Indianapolis IN on IH465 to State Highway 31 to State Highway 20 to State Highway 19 to Elkhart.

Seems like the travel time is about the same but would fuel stops and rest areas be better on the Intrastate routes.

I just would prefer not to have to deal with the Chicago area.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going all the way up there, you should really try to see more than just Mackinaw. Cross the UP and check out Pictured Rocks, then head into far northern WI and check out the Apostle Islands before turning south through Wisconsin. If you're touring Notre Dame, I assume you like football. Go see Lambeau Field! That's an excellent tour.

You can avoid Chicago and Milwaukee completely on your way home if you take 26 down towards Madison. You'll hit the East side of Madison but not have to deal with city traffic, then blast down past Rockford and you're on your way.

Growing up in Wisconsin, I'm obviously biased, but it's a can't miss state for camping if you're headed to the Midwest IMO. Certainly better than Ohio or Indiana... Yuck!

Milwaukee is super fun and beautiful in its own right being right on Lake Michigan. Madison is about the best college town anywhere in a 10 state radius... maybe anywhere in the country. Lots to do and see!
    Last edited by uwskier; 09-01-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast